slow wifi fast ethernet

come on man

hey,why I got only 72.0 Mbps speed even when my Laptop is 1 meter from my router?But on ethernet I havde 100.0 Mbps The only devices which are connected to my router are my laptop and my phone,...My router is Dlink GO RT N 150.My friend has some router which supports 150Mbps and I told him to use his Wifi(because he usually uses ethernet) and he has 100.0Mbps...(he pays for a 100.0Mbps connection like me).Why I have 72.0Mbps out of 100.0 if I'm using Wifi,but he has 100.0 out of 100.0?This is so racist,I don't know what is the factor..I doubt it's the distance,because I have 72.0 even when the device and the router are in the same room..I doubt it's because 2 devices are connected to my router,I experimented to connect only my laptop to the router and still I have  a 72.0 speed,the laptop's LAN 10/100 Mbit/sec, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0

Edited by come on man

You need to adjust your defintion of racism xD

There's almost always a difference between what Wi-fi says it can do, and what it can actually do.

Tbh, 72 is really good for a simple wi-fi router, i only get 40-45mbps...

The hardware is probably not capable of pushing out faster speeds which is almost always the case anyway...

If you want better wi-fi, invest in a proper AP. Also you'll need to do something about that 100mbps bottleneck, that's going to be an issue.

Also you can't get 150 if the ethernetport can only do 100...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

You need to adjust your defintion of racism xD

There's almost always a difference between what Wi-fi says it can do, and what it can actually do.

Tbh, 72 is really good for a simple wi-fi router, i only get 40-45mbps...

The hardware is probably not capable of pushing out faster speeds which is almost always the case anyway...

If you want better wi-fi, invest in a proper AP. Also you'll need to do something about that 100mbps bottleneck, that's going to be an issue.

Also you can't get 150 if the ethernetport can only do 100...

what is AP?ye ik I can't get the 150Mb speed.I wanted to say that my router supports 150Mb and if I have 100.0 on ethernet(I pay for 100.0),I must have 100.0 on wifi too.maybe my laptop is some trash(lenovo g505),his laptop has intel i7 7th gen and some newer stuff,maybe that's why he has better connection..I mean sure the CPU doesn't matter,but his laptop has newer hardware in general

10 minutes ago, come on man said:

what is AP?ye ik I can't get the 150Mb speed.I wanted to say that my router supports 150Mb and if I have 100.0 on ethernet(I pay for 100.0),I must have 100.0 on wifi too.maybe my laptop is some trash(lenovo g505),his laptop has intel i7 7th gen and some newer stuff,maybe that's why he has better connection..I mean sure the CPU doesn't matter,but his laptop has newer hardware in general

AP = Access point. In this case, wireless access point. Think of it as the WiFi part of the router you have.

I have no idea how that router can claim 150Mb/s speeds if the internet port on it is limited to 100Mb/s.

Well, does your laptop support Wireless N at least? Have you done a WiFi analyzer scan to see what other WiFi networks are in the area? You might be getting interference.

12 minutes ago, come on man said:

Ap =access point.

Basically a router without the extra lan ports.

Ubiquiti has some stuff that's stupidly good for the price. Nice range, good performance, overall really nice stuff.

Quite expensive tho but still :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Ap =access point.

Basically a router without the extra lan ports.

Ubiquiti has some stuff that's stupidly good for the price. Nice range, good performance, overall really nice stuff.

Quite expensive tho but still :P

LOL that joke price,maybe I will buy something like that when I start my networking course

8 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

AP = Access point. In this case, wireless access point. Think of it as the WiFi part of the router you have.

I have no idea how that router can claim 150Mb/s speeds if the internet port on it is limited to 100Mb/s.

Well, does your laptop support Wireless N at least? Have you done a WiFi analyzer scan to see what other WiFi networks are in the area? You might be getting interference.

thanks,gonna try that scanner

3 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Isn't ethernet just always faster?

it is,but in some other way.we are talking about the connection speed.my friend pays for a 100mb connection and he gets 100mb on with and ethernet,meanwhile i get 100mb ethernet/72mb wifi.but ethernet is more reliable and faster and less latency by natural

Wireless speed i measured differently than wired speed. Your Ethernet speed of 100 Mbps means that you can have a 100 Mbps download at the same time as a 100 Mbps upload, the 150 Mbps on your wireless can be explained in a simplified way as the sum of the upload and download speed. In modern networks that becomes more complicated with different frequencies and wireless bands. You can not really expect to get 1Gbps download from AC3600 router for example.

With all that considered 72 Mbps sounds perfectly reasonable from a N150 router and if you want higher wireless speeds I'm afraid you'll need to get some new network gear.

14 hours ago, come on man said:

You probably pay for varying connection with peek at 100mb. You Wifi card is not the only thing that comes in play when we talk network speed. Or any type of speed for that matter.

Just because i wonder.. Why is it so important for you that speedtest shows you 100mbps? Speedtest alike other are not 100% right all the time. Most of the time they are wrong. And the few times they actually hit the right speed, they are right.. So perhaps run it a few more times, and change server locations?

wifi is a luxury

some houses are great others are different. Even if a buddy has the same device in his house your wifi will act differently.

Most/all isp wont guarantee any reliable speed over wifi. Ethernet no problem.

I had a android box act as a wifi jammer. once it was unplugged the wifi was full speed. plug it back in down to practically nothing. How is this the isp fault you tell me.

9 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You probably pay for varying connection with peek at 100mb. You Wifi card is not the only thing that comes in play when we talk network speed. Or any type of speed for that matter.

Just because i wonder.. Why is it so important for you that speedtest shows you 100mbps? Speedtest alike other are not 100% right all the time. Most of the time they are wrong. And the few times they actually hit the right speed, they are right.. So perhaps run it a few more times, and change server locations?

idc about speedtest..just sometimes I need faster speed..im just going to network and sharing settings>adapter options>properties and it shows the connection speed lol,speedtest.net is crap + it's not 100% right.anyways I found out why my speed is 72.0

6 hours ago, come on man said:

idc about speedtest..just sometimes I need faster speed..im just going to network and sharing settings>adapter options>properties and it shows the connection speed lol,speedtest.net is crap + it's not 100% right.anyways I found out why my speed is 72.0

What is it that you need faster speed for? 72mbps is perfectly fine.

Also the connection speed you see under adapter properties is the negotiated connection between the devices. It has absolutely nothing to do with internet or its speeds (unless its linking below)

So something to take into consideration is a 150mbps router isnt as good as every other 150mbps router. Every laptop's wireless n wifi card isnt as good as every other wireless n card. Some are better quality than others. His router made be better than yours, his wifi card may be better than yours, or he might just have less wireless congestion in his house than you do. Wifi depends on more factors than you and I have time to learn about.

I would concern myself less with the top transfer rate and more on latency and dependability. If you have good ping, and your connection never drops out, dont sweat it. And if the quality of connection is important to you, wireless isn't good enough anyways.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

On 5/24/2018 at 5:34 AM, come on man said:

hey,why I got only 72.0 Mbps speed even when my Laptop is 1 meter from my router?But on ethernet I havde 100.0 Mbps The only devices which are connected to my router are my laptop and my phone,...My router is Dlink GO RT N 150.My friend has some router which supports 150Mbps and I told him to use his Wifi(because he usually uses ethernet) and he has 100.0Mbps...(he pays for a 100.0Mbps connection like me).Why I have 72.0Mbps out of 100.0 if I'm using Wifi,but he has 100.0 out of 100.0?This is so racist,I don't know what is the factor..I doubt it's the distance,because I have 72.0 even when the device and the router are in the same room..I doubt it's because 2 devices are connected to my router,I experimented to connect only my laptop to the router and still I have  a 72.0 speed,the laptop's LAN 10/100 Mbit/sec, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0

Does your router support 5GHz/are you using 5GHz?