Ryzen 7 1700x for streaming/gaming/productivity

I'm trying to get a gaming/streaming/productivity PC 

Here are the specs I want.

Ryzen 7 1700x

MSI Gaming SLI Plus x370 Mobo

Corsair Vengence 3200mhz LED 16GB (2x8GB)

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC ACX 3.0

I'll mostly be using this PC for gaming/streaming/productivity and mentioned before.

I know that Intel's CPU has better gaming experience but not in viewer's experience. 

I will be playing three games which is Fortnite/CSGO/PUBG 

Most of the ingame graphics settings will be competitive which means I'll be going for most performance. 

I wont be overclocking my CPU since I don't really want to void my warranty and I don't really care about the OC performance.

So which one should I get still? a i7 or Ryzen 7. I will be using 144hz monitor btw.

Get the 2700X. It's better in every measurable way. Also grab a X470 mobo. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

@Andrew Park

Agree with Neliz. Go with the 2700X. The encode difference is minor, but the lower latencies will improve the areas where Ryzen has higher latency than Intel.

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm actually going for a all black pc setup with white LED only which means I actually need to use x370 mobo..since I want to keep my color scheme going on. And note that I will be gaming and streaming. So should I go for it? and I don't want stutter or tearing while gaming with the 1060 with 144hz monitor..soz..well I would look for it 

2700x will be miles head of the 1700x. Lower latencies will help with encoding.

hi.

12 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

2700x will be miles head of the 1700x. Lower latencies will help with encoding.

How's the gaming peformance in FPS for fortnite on competitive settings? while streaming also

46 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

Should be fine but look for a cheaper used GPU or just live with like a 1050ti given current pricing.

Should 100% get Ryzen 2700/X with X470, unless you're getting gen 1 pretty cheap.

Mostly for StoreMI and the upgrades to the CPU in general.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should be fine but look for a cheaper used GPU or just live with like a 1050ti given current pricing.

Should 100% get Ryzen 2700/X with X470, unless you're getting gen 1 pretty cheap.

Mostly for StoreMI and the upgrades to the CPU in general.

Ok first of all I don't want to use a gtx 1050ti and I can efford a gtx 1070 8gb from evga so idc anymore about peformance and I will get r7 2700x for gaming/streaming and productivity and take the advantage of those extra cores and better clock speed then 1700x. But I saw that a x370 mobo is also compatible with r7 2700x so I'm just gonna get x370 from asus so that I can get some lighting that I want for my color theme which is black with white led only. kinda hard but i'm just gonna pay alot of money then just not upgrade later on to another cpu 

1 minute ago, Andrew Park said:

It's likely not worth getting an X370 board for your R7 2700/X as the BIOS might not be updated, ASUS makes X470 boards too...

1070tis were the best priced higher end GPU for now last I checked.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It's likely not worth getting an X370 board for your R7 2700/X as the BIOS might not be updated, ASUS makes X470 boards too...

1070tis were the best priced higher end GPU for now last I checked.

the x470 boards form asus which will be x470-f is too big and I will be using an air cooler so it doesn't help here 

if you dont want to void warranty dont buy Intel.

If you dont overclock the 8700k it isnt worth it, i mean even if nobody will ever notice or could proof that you overclocked, without a delid you potentially wont come far. As a hint a 8700k at stock is faster than a 2700x at pure gaming even when you overclock the 2700x and use faster RAM. (unless you get a golden 4,5GHz R7 2700x chip)

From my experience the 8700k is about 25% faster than Ryzen in CPU demanding gaming which makes up for having 25% less cores most of the time. The Multithreading performance is mostly lower due to SMT being more efficient than Intels Hyperthreading.

When it comes to streaming all kinds of factors can limit your quality. When considering Twitch.tv the most limiting factor is Bandwidth. After that its x264 encoding, while reaching up to Medium x264presets more cores are valuable, when its comes to slow/slower presets single core performance requirements are kicking in.

when using either in a single pc setup, following is achievable without framedrops:

720p60 slow x264 preset = 1080p60 fast x264 preset, The Intel might need overclocking and affinity/process tweaking though. Seen x264 Medium preset @1080p60 on some rare occasions without framedrops on a 2700x but its not guaranteed. (especially not for every game)

So for you the 2700x would be the best buy, since it has its own fake boost overclocking feature stuff that wont void warranty that gives you nice clockspeeds. Other than that its not much different than a 1700x, better IMC and different boost technology makes a little IPC boost due to lower latencies and higher "stock" clockspeeds.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

2 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

the x470 boards form asus which will be x470-f is too big and I will be using an air cooler so it doesn't help here 

Are you going ITX or something? As there really aren't any great Micro ATX AM4 boards

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

if you wont want to void warranty dont buy Intel.

If you dont overclock the 8700k it isnt worth it, i mean even if nobody will ever notice or could proof that you overclocked, without a delid you potentially wont come far. As a hint a 8700k at stock is faster than a 2700x at pure gaming even when you overclock the 2700x and use faster RAM. (unless you get a golden 4,5GHz R7 2700x chip)

From my experience the 8700k is about 25% faster than Ryzen in CPU demanding gaming which makes up for having 25% less cores most of the time. The Multithreading performance is mostly lower due to SMT being more efficient than Intels Hyperthreading.

When it comes to streaming all kinds of factors can limit your quality. When considering Twitch.tv the most limiting factor is Bandwidth. After that its x264 encoding, while reaching up to Medium x264presets more cores are valuable, when its comes to slow/slower presets single core performance requirements are kicking in.

when using either in a single pc setup, following is achievable without framedrops:

720p60 slow x264 preset = 1080p60 fast x264 preset, The Intel might need overclocking and affinity/process tweaking though. Seen x264 Medium preset @1080p60 on some rare occasions without framedrops on a 2700x but its not guaranteed.

So for you the 2700x would be the best buy, since it has its own fake boost overclocking feature stuff that wont void warranty that gives you nice clockspeeds. Other than that its not much different than a 1700x, better IMC and different boost technology makes a little IPC boost due to lower latencies and higher "stock" clockspeeds.

So yeah that's what I'm going for now. but I assume that x370 mobos are also compatible with r7 2700x?? 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Are you going ITX or something? As there really aren't any great Micro ATX AM4 boards

nah I'm going for ATX on meshify C

Just now, Andrew Park said:

nah I'm going for ATX on meshify C

Then how are the X470 ASUS boards too big? They're just ATX as well.

And they basically all have RGB as well

I'd probably just suggest sticking to X470, the MSI boards are pretty alright this time around.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

So yeah that's what I'm going for now. but I assume that x370 mobos are also compatible with r7 2700x?? 

yea they are with a bios update, and also most of them dont cripple any performance afaik. But why wouldnt you just go with x470. Its only 20-30bucks more without having any hassle or issues that you could get when buying a x370 board.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just now, Streetguru said:

Then how are the X470 ASUS boards too big? They're just ATX as well.

And they basically all have RGB as well

I'd probably just suggest sticking to X470, the MSI boards are pretty alright this time around.

I'm just talking about the heatsink. Since I wont be watercooing on the meshify c but instead air cooling the cpu using be quiet dark rock pro 4 with 3 additional be quiet fans for intake and exhaust. since the io heatsink is too big idk if it will fit..

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

yea they are with a bios update, and also most of them dont cripple any performance afaik. But why wouldnt you just go with x470. Its only 20-30bucks more without having any hassle or issues that you could get buying a x370 board.

well I'm thinking about it because I'm gonna be air cooling and the mobo for x470 will be strix x470-f which concerns me about using dark rock pro 4 because of its io heatsink

3 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

I'm just talking about the heatsink. Since I wont be watercooing on the meshify c but instead air cooling the cpu using be quiet dark rock pro 4 with 3 additional be quiet fans for intake and exhaust. since the io heatsink is too big idk if it will fit..

Of course it's going to fit, they wouldn't design a motherboard that can't fit some heatsinks...Also you probably don't need that much of a cooler for Ryzen, it's not too power hungry. a basic/cheap 120mm tower cooler should be pretty alright unless you plan to do heavier overclocking.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Of course it's going to fit, they wouldn't design a motherboard that can't fit some heatsinks...Also you probably don't need that much of a cooler for Ryzen, it's not too power hungry. a basic/cheap 120mm tower cooler should be pretty alright unless you plan to do heavier overclocking.

I'm just going for dark rock pro for the looks lol. So yeah I just decided to get x470-f by asus which is good enough now with gtx 1070ti with r7 2700x. I think rm750x fully modular psu from corsair will be enough 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

well I'm thinking about it because I'm gonna be air cooling and the mobo for x470 will be strix x470-f which concerns me about using dark rock pro 4 because of its io heatsink

as long as your "outer" fan sticks out to the right (in direction of your ram) there shouldnt be any issues.

1 minute ago, DarkSmith2 said:

as long as your "outer" fan sticks out to the right (in direction of your ram) there shouldnt be any issues.

XDD well since I'll putting my ram on the 2nd and 4th channel it wont occupy my ram space either. well I'm ready to clock purchase XDDD

3 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

XDD well since I'll putting my ram on the 2nd and 4th channel it wont occupy my ram space either. well I'm ready to clock purchase XDDD

well that would cost me about $1800 usd just for the pc..now I gotta get all my monitors and keyboard/mouse with the rest of the budget lol. I setted up my budget as $2500 soz

Just now, Andrew Park said:

well that would cost me about $1800 usd just for the pc..now I gotta get all my monitors and keyboard/mouse with the rest of the budget lol. I setted up my budget as $2500 soz

Logitech mice are nice and usually cheap xD 

When it comes to cheap Monitors, get AOC same panels as everybody else for a lower price tag, just no fanciness or working OSD LUL

1 minute ago, DarkSmith2 said:

Logitech mice are nice and usually cheap xD 

When it comes to cheap Monitors, get AOC same panels as everybody else for a lower price tag, just no fanciness or working OSD LUL

I prefer razer and razer keyboard but for monitor I prefer Dell or Asus..lol..I wish I had a g sync monitor but that will ruin my budget