How do I block certain text and code from websites?

Ok, so my grandma has a computer. She also has internet, how can I make sure she doesn't see any of those fake virus alerts or get scammed? Telling her wouldn't be really reliable.

Mouse: Logitech G602 Audio: Logitech G430 + Blue Snowball iCE Black

Disable javascript and flash, that's the only sure fire way. I also find microBlock works pretty well and HTTPSEverywhere should always be installed.

If she needs javascript and flash then consider installing a seperate "sandboxed" browser with those enabled that she only uses whenever she absolutely needs them.

All good ideas. But blocking javascrips might be a problem. Why don't set her up with a openDNS? I heard Cisco bought that, will simply block sites that are not trusted.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, AbsoluteFool said:

All good ideas. But blocking javascrips might be a problem. Why don't set her up with a openDNS? I heard Cisco bought that, will simply block sites that are not trusted.

Just blocking bad websites wont offer complete or even adequate protection. It is a somewhat reasonable middle ground. In my opinion you really have to try to get a virus nowadays (I would be more worried about those "you have a virus scams". It seems to me the most prolific virus currently or most prolific strain is ransomware so you could just make sure that they don't keep any important/non-replaceable data on their computer and in the unlikely event that they do contract a virus you can simply format the drive and reinstall the OS.

23 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

Just blocking bad websites wont offer complete or even adequate protection. It is a somewhat reasonable middle ground. In my opinion you really have to try to get a virus nowadays (I would be more worried about those "you have a virus scams". It seems to me the most prolific virus currently or most prolific strain is ransomware so you could just make sure that they don't keep any important/non-replaceable data on their computer and in the unlikely event that they do contract a virus you can simply format the drive and reinstall the OS.

That's what i do.. I keep nothing on my desktop, it's all on servers. So if my computer gets infected it's just re-install. 

But from a non technical standpoint like a granny and non technical people who don't have those options that's a bit much to ask.

Which brings me back to OpenDNS again

11 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

That's what i do.. I keep nothing on my desktop, it's all on servers. So if my computer gets infected it's just re-install. 

But from a non technical standpoint like a granny and non technical people who don't have those options that's a bit much to ask.

Which brings me back to OpenDNS again

I mean, what is the most important information to her? Banking info? Tell her to do her banking in person (like she would do anyways). Pictures? Don't let her keep the only copy of pictures on the computer, or just don't let her keep copies of pictures on the computer anyway.