Seagate expansion 4TB

greenbrucelee
Go to solution Solved by Razor Blade,
1 minute ago, greenbrucelee said:

I have just received the above in the post. I did not realise that it actually uses a power plug as well as a USB3 cable. My intention for this drive is for backups and storing data on that is rarelt accessed so I do not need the drive to be powered on or connected all the time. After I do the safely remove hardware to unplug the USB 3 cable is it safe to remove the power cable so I can store the drive in my drawers?

Yes that wouldn't be a problem. After you remove the drive's USB from your computer it should spin down shortly after. Once the drive spins down it can safely be moved anywhere you need to.

The only thing you don't really want to do is move the drive around when it is spun up because you have a fast moving rotating mass. Moving it around probably isn't good for it...but I mainly say it because if the person picks it up may not expect it to resist motion so people tend to drop the drive... so if you have to move it while it's running move it very slowly and carefully.

I have just received the above in the post. I did not realise that it actually uses a power plug as well as a USB3 cable. My intention for this drive is for backups and storing data on that is rarelt accessed so I do not need the drive to be powered on or connected all the time. After I do the safely remove hardware to unplug the USB 3 cable is it safe to remove the power cable so I can store the drive in my drawers?

1 minute ago, greenbrucelee said:

Yes that wouldn't be a problem. After you remove the drive's USB from your computer it should spin down shortly after. Once the drive spins down it can safely be moved anywhere you need to.

The only thing you don't really want to do is move the drive around when it is spun up because you have a fast moving rotating mass. Moving it around probably isn't good for it...but I mainly say it because if the person picks it up may not expect it to resist motion so people tend to drop the drive... so if you have to move it while it's running move it very slowly and carefully.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

If you safely removed it, yes it's safe to disconnect power and store the drive.

What i would do is if you turn off the drive/disconnect power, wait 5 seconds. It's possible the hard drive was spinning when you disconnected power and it's a good idea to wait until the drive is stopped spinning. It's not a good idea to move a drive that's still spinning. It shouldn't hurt if you do move the drive when it's still spinning, but waiting 5 seconds probably won't hurt as well :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2.5" drives would work in a USB SATA caddy FYI. Without external power.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Agree with advice above, once you've safely removed, the drive will spin down & can be disconnected from power, just don't move it around while powered up.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Agree with advice above, once you've safely removed, the drive will spin down & can be disconnected from power, just don't move it around while powered up.

cool thanks