300 Watt required GPU into a 250 watt power supply.?

I'd just got my GT 710 and the box says, the minimum power supply watts is 300 but my power supply is only 250 watts, so I calculated my PC watt consumption at coolermaster.com and the result is 235 load wattage, and the recommend psu wattage is 283 W.

What will happen if I install my GT 710 in 250 W power supply? 

it WÖRKS!!!1

Well, nothing.

Those are <75W TDP Cards....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Should be fine, what cpu do you have?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

it just works? these calculators often overestimate power draw, while recommended PSU wattage only needs special care in high end cards with very high power draw and custom BIOS.

though dont buy a 250w unit new, at this wattage level only those in prebuiltsa are somewhat reliable.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Should be fine, what cpu do you have?

An AMD A4-3420

2-hard drives

2- 4gb RAM

A4 3420 uses probably around 50w at most

A hard drive uses up to 8-10w

A memory stick uses around 2-3w

The motherboard uses maybe 20w

A GT 710 uses less than 75w  (it's allowed to take up to around 60w from 12v in the pci-e slot, and around 10-15w from 3.3v from same slot)

Your PC probably won't use more than 100-125w.

Manufacturer recommends 300w or more in order to ensure some minimum quality level on the power supply, because there's so many power supply manufacturers and at so many price points and some cheap power supplies are really lousy.

If you want to be more technical... a power supply sends power to the computer components in three different voltages... 3.3v , 5v and 12v ... the processor and video card and hard drives are powered mostly from 12v. So it's important that the power supply provides majority of the power on 12v and a smaller percentage on 3.3v and 5v  but a lot of really cheap and low power power supply can provide just a low amount of power on 12v.

So by recommending a higher wattage power supply, video card manufacturers try to reduce their stress, they want to reduce the number video cards returned to stores or RMA'd because the buyer combines them with lousy power supplies and then blame the video card when the system randomly resets or crashes (because the power supply can't provide enough power where needed)

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

A4 3420 uses probably around 50w at most

A hard drive uses up to 8-10w

A memory stick uses around 2-3w

The motherboard uses maybe 20w

A GT 710 uses less than 75w  (it's allowed to take up to around 60w from 12v in the pci-e slot, and around 10-15w from 3.3v from same slot)

Your PC probably won't use more than 100-125w.

Manufacturer recommends 300w or more in order to ensure some minimum quality level on the power supply, because there's so many power supply manufacturers and at so many price points and some cheap power supplies are really lousy.

If you want to be more technical... a power supply sends power to the computer components in three different voltages... 3.3v , 5v and 12v ... the processor and video card and hard drives are powered mostly from 12v. So it's important that the power supply provides majority of the power on 12v and a smaller percentage on 3.3v and 5v  but a lot of really cheap and low power power supply can provide just a low amount of power on 12v.

So by recommending a higher wattage power supply, video card manufacturers try to reduce their stress, they want to reduce the number video cards returned to stores or RMA'd because the buyer combines them with lousy power supplies and then blame the video card when the system randomly resets or crashes (because the power supply can't provide enough power where needed)

So I can install my GT 710 in my PC RIGHT .?

Thank you very much for advice..

Yes you can install it.

Will it work ?  95% sure it will. 

Since I have no idea what power supply you have and what quality it is, I can't be 100% sure.

Either way, nothing bad will happen to your components if it's not enough. Worst case, your computer would shut down or reset when you're playing games.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes you can install it.

Will it work ?  95% sure it will. 

Since I have no idea what power supply you have and what quality it is, I can't be 100% sure.

Either way, nothing bad will happen to your components if it's not enough. Worst case, your computer would shut down or reset when you're playing games.

Thank you very much Mariushm.

I will tell you if it's working fine.

If it starts shutting itself off... Then you know it's a psu issue.

What PSU is it? A 710 and low-power AMD chip should draw maybe 100W but you still want a PSU that won't set itself on fire or isn't ten years old.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 years later...

Man, did you get it working?

I am caught in the same situation here...

My desktop is 250W and I installed a GT710 to have 4K resolution to my work.

After I installed the card, the computer freezes sometimes, and I am pretty sure that's the cause.

When I put back my GEFORCE 210 back, everything runs smoothly.

My DELL OPTIPLEX 7010 does not suppot more power than 250W. And I want not to but a new computer just for that. Did you succeed to use this card on a 250W computer?

Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Kind Regards,

Mario Renor

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:53 PM, Mario Renor said:

I am caught in the same situation here...

My desktop is 250W and I installed a GT710 to have 4K resolution to my work.

After I installed the card, the computer freezes sometimes, and I am pretty sure that's the cause.

When I put back my GEFORCE 210 back, everything runs smoothly.

My DELL OPTIPLEX 7010 does not suppot more power than 250W. And I want not to but a new computer just for that. Did you succeed to use this card on a 250W computer?

Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Kind Regards,

Mario Renor

Your processor might not be able to handle that grapics card or your card must be damaged. Actually gt 710 can only handle 4k at 24hz or 24FPS. The  computer might freeze because of the resolution.Try lowering the Resolution 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:23 AM, Mario Renor said:

This post is 3 years old. The person who posted this hasn't been back to the forum in 3 years.

If you need help create a new topic for your problem.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450