Audio Technica ATH-M50 review

Freaky_spider

Welcome to my Audio technica ATH-M50 review. I'm writing this because my family is arguing downstairs so i decided to write a review about my christmas present! I've already had a day to play with it because my parent knew that there would be arguing today.... :'(

Build Quality

When you first take it out of the box and fiddle around with all the joints i immediatly got the impression that the joints woudn't snap any time soon, which was one of my first concerns.

After finally understanding which way which joint turns i got a feel about how to get it in the included leatherette (i think) bag and how to wear it on your neck ( don't know how to describe it).

I got the one with a coiled cable so when i plug it into a phone and hold my phone (an HTC one) wich has it 3.5mm jack on the top, like most smartphones, the coiled cable makes my phone rather top heavy. Another of my problems were that my cable would kink because of of the coiled cable, but audio technica have solved this problem by installing a spring at the base of the plug which prevents kinking. This segways perfectly into the build quality of the plug, which there is not much to say about except that its a very big and sturdy and the contact point is gold plated, wich doesn't make sound quality better but hey, for a 180 euro headphone it's a nice touch.

The one flaw in the build quality is the non-braided and fixed cable, so no way to lenghten, shorten or replace the cable with a nice braided piece.

The fact that it is not braided is a rather big con too me because i have a playful cat who jumps at anything that moves, so my room is off limit for him now :'(

So overall it has great build quality with sturdy joints which won't break anytime soon, under normal circumstances of course.

How it feels on your head (???) ( again, don't know how to put it, hope you understand)

The headband isn't fully filled with memory foam but is comfortable enough for a 4 hour gaming / music session.

The earcups are, in comparison to the headband, fully filled with memory foam and are thus very comfortable. There also is a faux leather on the headband and earcups, dispite them being fake they feel really good so no concerns here.

Sound

I'm not going to say much about the sound because i'm no where near an audiophile.

It sounds great! Bass is very deep and muffles the treble a bit, not by much but it is noticable in bass heavy music with some trebble.

(told you it would be short)

The verdict.

The Good:

+ Build quality

+ Sound

+ Coiled cable (this is pure personal preference)

The Bad

- non replacable cable

- the cable is not braided

- not that much memory foam on the headband

So i hope you enjoyed my review of the Audio technica ATH-M50's! There are alot more review on the internet about these amazing headphones!

If you have any question about them be free to ask them!

Any criticism or typo's? be free to point them out!

-Freaky_Spider

EDIT: damn i posted this in the wrong forum, i saw review and thought i had to place it here.... could a mod replace this to the correct forum?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

This should be moved to the:  Member Reviews "Reviews from community members like you!" section of the forum.

thanks! there should be like a review page with people who have enough votes which you get from writing good review or something

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Sorry about your parents, bro   :(

its not my parents (luckily) but its about my mothers family and them being total d*ck to my dad :(

its not my parents (luckily) but its about my mothers family and them being total d*ck to my dad :(

I know that feel

I know that feel

your picture fits this to good :D

I didn't take it because it apparently isn't good with gaming because of the narrow 'soundstage'.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I didn't take it because it apparently isn't good with gaming because of the narrow 'soundstage'.

good with gaming? i haven't had any problem with not being immersed in my games, the bass (and thus explosions) sound very good and guns do to...

dont get what soundstage has to do with being bad for gaming....

good with gaming? i haven't had any problem with not being immersed in my games, the bass (and thus explosions) sound very good and guns do to...

I use these headphones for gaming as well. I've never had any problems, but admittedly, I have never had any other higher-end headphones to compare with. All I know is that I do fine in-game.

Great review! I recently also bought some m-50's. When you put them in the included pouch, did your cable form bends?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

The ath-m50 are many times called "studio monitor headphones". Is it for a particular reason? Or is just as good as any high quality headphones for listening music?

Since people game with gaming headsets the m50 are better and prolly just fine. But the soundstage if I understand correctly means that if it's narrow the sound is coming near your ears reducing immersion, and wide soundstages make you feel you're in a large room if necessary

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This is just a matter of personal opinion but I think you should have waited a bit on the sound quality and comfort. It will take awhile to evaluate the sound and awhile to actually break the headphones in. I wouldn't mind if you added a follow up section in week or two to see if anything has changed.

Ill also have you know I have a couple reveiws in the chute and I am just waiting on getting to know the products and until I can get back to school (I have no camera otherwise).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

This is just a matter of personal opinion but I think you should have waited a bit on the sound quality and comfort. It will take awhile to evaluate the sound and awhile to actually break the headphones in. I wouldn't mind if you added a follow up section in week or two to see if anything has changed.

Ill also have you know I have a couple reveiws in the chute and I am just waiting on getting to know the products and until I can get back to school (I have no camera otherwise).

i will update / rewrite it but i was really bored and wanted to do something that i would keep my attention too.

i already know some things to add to the build quality part and the sound part.

I hear burn-in's help, but personally i think its a 50% actual difference/ 50% placebo after a burnin.

dunno. Also, great choice!

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

The ath-m50 are many times called "studio monitor headphones". Is it for a particular reason? Or is just as good as any high quality headphones for listening music?

They are called "Studio Monitor Headphones" because the sound produced by them is very crisp and clear at mids, highs, and lows. Thus making them very good for mixing and listening to music the way the artist intended. I also own a pair of M50's. I got the red ones and I love them.

Space is pretty awesome.

I also have M50s, best headphones iv'e ever owned/heard.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

I own the M-50's and they are by far the best bang for your buck headphones that I have ever gotten my hands on. They were on sale on Amazon for just over $100 USD a few weeks ago. Such a great deal. Make sure to break them in though.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer