Simple server for webpages?

I want to build a server to host from my home. I want to host mostly original content but almost everything I host will be straight html/css and or links to other file sharing sites to serve up the content. At least starting out nothing else more but maybe some images embedded in the pages hosted form the same machine or if necessary linked to from another host source to conserve resources on my machine. I have a modem at my home and I am building a pfsense firewall that it will sit behind. I have literally no idea how I would build this serve or how much computer I would need so before I start buying parts I decided I would ask for some help. I would like to be able to serve at least 50 people at a time simple html and I assume maybe at least 10,000 pages+ a day. I did the math and to serve that many pages would be like serving 1 every 3 seconds, can anyone suggest an operating system, server client and a cheap build for this kinda work please? I need some guidance, I have read about it and hosted an Apache server once but I'm not sure what I need to do for this scale. What kind of configurations would you run?

9 minutes ago, n_o_o_n_e said:

I want to build a server to host from my home. I want to host mostly original content but almost everything I host will be straight html/css and or links to other file sharing sites to serve up the content. At least starting out nothing else more but maybe some images embedded in the pages hosted form the same machine or if necessary linked to from another host source to conserve resources on my machine. I have a modem at my home and I am building a pfsense firewall that it will sit behind. I have literally no idea how I would build this serve or how much computer I would need so before I start buying parts I decided I would ask for some help. I would like to be able to serve at least 50 people at a time simple html and I assume maybe at least 10,000 pages+ a day. I did the math and to serve that many pages would be like serving 1 every 3 seconds, can anyone suggest an operating system, server client and a cheap build for this kinda work please? I need some guidance, I have read about it and hosted an Apache server once but I'm not sure what I need to do for this scale. What kind of configurations would you run?

Almost any modern computer could server that many people static content. I would be more concerned with your home internet connection. Home internet is horrible for hosting any website especially at that size.

I would rent a cheap vps and use that to host your content. Doesn't need to be that powerfully at all.

It's literally going to be easier and cheaper to just buy a domain and get hosting thrown in as part of the deal.

Most hosts let you either use their own builder tool or load your own html/css.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

6 hours ago, n_o_o_n_e said:

--SNIP--

What kind of configurations would you run?

I'd look into decent webhosting that uses cPanel from a provider NOT owned by EIG, or if you want to get your hands dirty, spin up a VPS from Vultr or Digital Ocean and learn how to install, configure, and manage a Debian or CentOS based server yourself. Running a home server is totally fine for small personal projects but I'd never suggest it for anything customer / client facing, both for security reasons and because it's against your ISP's terms of service, not to mention home internet speeds aren't usually good enough for this. (Unless you have a business connection that allows this.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 hours ago, n_o_o_n_e said:

-snip-

option 1: Apache https://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi (host and make it yourself)

option 2: online hosting (Azure web server and blue host) (make it yourself but have others host it)

option 3: simple website hosting (SquareSpace, google websites etc) (have others provide templates that you can customize and have them host it)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I use angry hosting for my website... $1 a month plan..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

On 19.5.2018 at 10:46 PM, n_o_o_n_e said:

You can host a simple website at home. But you need to make sure you actually have the prerequisites for it.

1. You need a Static IP

2. You need a server with Apache (or LAMP stack)

3. You need to be able to operate the server and the issues it might face.

Otherwise it's not a problem to host your own website. But i'm quite sure a hosting plan would be cheaper and alot easier for you.