Ds218+ Won’t recognise 6tb + rant

It should support 12tb capacity

however it won’t recognise MG04ACA600E

6tb toshiba enterprise? 

Not supported? If not, for what reason?

anyway I cannot understand why they impose a max capacity on their nas? Why can’t people choose to have a 10tb drive on their low end 1 bay nas device? I think there needs to be a class lawsuit against them to protect consumers, and keep them honest.

Does the drive work in anouther system?

Why did you get a used hdd?

Does the drive spin up. 

My gues is that it doesn't like that model, you put it in wrong, or the drive is dead. 

According to Synology the capacity limitation on their NASes is just for a single volume, which I guess is up to the controller. There's no mention of a physical upper limit.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/Why_does_my_Synology_NAS_have_a_single_volume_size_limitation

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the drive work in anouther system?

Why did you get a used hdd?

Does the drive spin up. 

My gues is that it doesn't like that model, you put it in wrong, or the drive is dead. 

Who mentioned used? 

1 hour ago, pomkon said:

It should support 12tb capacity

however it won’t recognise MG04ACA600E

6tb toshiba enterprise? 

Not supported? If not, for what reason?

anyway I cannot understand why they impose a max capacity on their nas? Why can’t people choose to have a 10tb drive on their low end 1 bay nas device? I think there needs to be a class lawsuit against them to protect consumers, and keep them honest.

The capacity is not the reason the drive doesn't work.

Either:

1. There's just an incompatibility between the SATA controller they use, and that specific model of HDD

2. The drive arrived DOA and is simply dead

3. The drive was installed incorrectly

I would suggest popping the drive out, and firmly reseat it. After that, if it still doesn't work, pop the drive into your PC and see if your PC detects it. If your PC detects the drive, you should return it for a full refund and buy a different 6TB HDD.

If the drive is DOA, then get an exchange from the retailer, or if necessary, RMA the drive.

I personally don't think this warrants a class action lawsuit, because Synology is not lying about their NAS's supporting 6TB (or larger) HDD's. Even the cheapo 2-bay units typically support large HDD's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, pomkon said:

Who mentioned used? 

those drives on amazon are used. They don't make that model any more and most all of them are new old stock, refurb or used. 

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

those drives on amazon are used. They don't make that model any more and most all of them are new old stock, refurb or used. 

I got them from local supplies. All new.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

1. There's just an incompatibility between the SATA controller they use, and that specific model of HDD

2. The drive arrived DOA and is simply dead

3. The drive was installed incorrectly

Incompatible?! That’s what my rant is about. Why do they only choose to support some brands and not other? How hard is it for that sata controller. A 7 year old pc can recognise those hdd. This is snyology 2018 series. It’s hurting the consumers, and they should be sued. 

So so my figure is wrong, ds218+ supports 10tb x2. However older has max capacities are much smaller.

They do spin up and they are fine. I’m afraid I can’t get refunds from the shops I got them from.

It is also worth mentioning that a drive not being 'supported', does not always mean it will not work. Sometimes this just refers to drives they have tested and guarantee to work.

Some manufacturers come out with unique solutions that may not work properly or may require special software to function. Possible example could be SSHD's. 

I have found that the supported drive list has been updated over time on at least one of my NAS units. My ReadyNAS only 'supported' 4TB drives at time of release. It now officially supports 10TB drives. Whether they would work on 4 year old firmware, or whether recent updates enabled the functionality, I am not sure. 

Usually though it is firmware/software related. Sometimes its not updated because the device is old, sometimes its because they don't deem it necessary. 

Going off the compatibility list for your device, it appears they support 6TB Toshiba NAS drives. So it may be a limitation with enterprise class drives. Perhaps it is due to limits on power draw between these drives? I'm just throwing some random thoughts out here, I haven't looked into this. 

Surprisingly though, it supports 8TB Toshiba Enterprise drives (or at least one SKU). 

Support List: https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS218%2B&category=hdds&p=2

9 hours ago, pomkon said:

Incompatible?! That’s what my rant is about. Why do they only choose to support some brands and not other? How hard is it for that sata controller. A 7 year old pc can recognise those hdd. This is snyology 2018 series. It’s hurting the consumers, and they should be sued. 

HDD can be different. They all conform to a set of standards, but they can vary greatly. Capacity, cache, spin speed, SSD, etc. 

That is like saying how come a current Volkswagen won't allow me to put wheels on it from Toyota. I can put Audi wheels on it. Why are they only allowing some wheels to work on my VW and not other brands? 

Okay, that was a bit of an over the top example, but hopefully you get where I am coming from.

PS: I am fully aware VW and Audi are both part of the VAG in case someone tries to nitpick this :P

And Synology provided from day one a drive compatibility list. Any company has the right to say which parts will work with their products. This is not an essential service. If you chose to purchase a drive outside of their specs and it doesn't work, that is not their fault in any way. Not trying to be an asshole, just hoping to shed a different light on the matter. 

23 hours ago, pomkon said:

So so my figure is wrong, ds218+ supports 10tb x2. However older has max capacities are much smaller.

They do spin up and they are fine. I’m afraid I can’t get refunds from the shops I got them from.

It seems like you're not very familiar with this type of technology.

Every RAID controller has it's quirks - occasionally, an otherwise perfectly working HDD will simply not work on a particular controller. This is why basically every server, or RAID Card (and most NAS units) include a HDD compatibility chart - which is a list of every drive they've tested and verified working. Now, these lists generally are not "exhaustive", meaning that many HDD's not on the list will work perfectly fine. But anything not on the list has that chance of being incompatible.

It's the same reason why some motherboards are picky about RAM (server boards in particular).

Toshiba isn't the problem. Synology isn't avoiding support for Toshiba HDD's in general - but rather, that specific model of HDD might be incompatible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/20/2018 at 3:05 PM, pomkon said:

I got them from local supplies. All new

What's the date printed on the drive label? Also if you plug it in to your PC and run CrystalDiskInfo it will tell you how many hours it has on it.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:08 AM, pomkon said:

MG04ACA600E

Googling the drive comes up with some results saying that this is a Dell OEM drive made by Toshiba that comes with Dell Firmware installed on it. Does your drive mention Dell on its sticker at all? If your drive has custom Dell firmware on it then this may be what is causing the incompatibility. You may have some luck finding standard Toshiba firmware for the model of drive and flashing it.

Edit: Can you take a photo of both the label on the drive as well as the connectors on the drive and post here for us?

Being an enterprise class drive I'm wondering if it is a SAS HDD since there are some models of Toshiba with very similar model numbers that are SAS drives (MG04SCA**** (SAS) vs MG04ACA**** (SATA))

image.png.43ec973f590e0b6f15e39d5a7154169d.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

38 minutes ago, Spotty said:

dit: Can you take a photo of both the label on the drive as well as the connectors on the drive and post here for us?

They. Are sata and work fine. No hours powered on whatsoever, I have a few unopened also.image.thumb.jpg.2f5ef846132d530411cb30bd0bd96080.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5435afcd81e4e28341a2d5c9593a89a3.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, pomkon said:

They. Are sata and work fine. No hours powered on whatsoever, I have a few unopened also.

Thanks for the pics. Looking at those then that all looks good to me. They're definitely the SATA variant, and doesn't look like it's the Dell variant (which says Dell where that says Toshiba), so it shouldn't be a firmware issue. Manufacture date is also October 2017, so they're definitely new drives.

As long as the drives work in your PC, then it will be an issue with the DS218+ not supporting that particular model drive. The DS218+ does support other high capacity drives up to 12TB with the Seagate Ironwolf, so it's not an issue with Synology locking out higher capacity drives.
I would contact Synology support and say that you're having issues with your DS218+ not detecting those hard drives and ask if there are any known compatibility issues with the drives.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450