4k HDR vs 4k OLED

drkknghtavngr
9 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Which is better? Which is cheaper? 

OLED is a panel type.

HDR is a method of trying to get more detail out of images by trying to make darker portions of an image darer and brighter parts of an image brighter, more "true to life" so to speak.

They're really not comparable, because you can have an OLED panel that supports HDR

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

OLED is a panel type.

HDR is a method of trying to get more detail out of images by trying to make darker prtiors of an image darer and brighter parts of an image brighter, more "trye to life" so to speak.

They're really not comparable, because you can have an OLED panel that supports HDR

with that said OLED will be also more expensive

OLED's come with HDR. Due to the brightness vs some LCD's however, the HDR may not be as strong on OLED as some top end LCDs.

That being said, overall, OLED trounces LCD (including QLED) in image quality in every way that really matters, which would be pritty much every way with the exception of peak brightness, which is only important in really bright rooms, like showrooms.

That said, they are expensive, but most certainly no more so than some high end LCD's (which is rediculous if u ask me as u'd have to be very misinformed/ignorant to buy a LCD at $1500+, over an OLED)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

OLED is a panel type.

HDR is a method of trying to get more detail out of images by trying to make darker portions of an image darer and brighter parts of an image brighter, more "true to life" so to speak.

The reason I ask this, I didnt see any 4k OLED HDR in the store I walked in to. If you were to pick between 4k HDR or 4k OLED which would you buy

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

OLED is a panel type.

^ Basically this.

Your question doesn't even really make sense--do you mean an LCD panel using HDR, VS, a standard OLED panel, instead?

If so, it's really up to personal preference, but I've gotta say that good OLED panels look amazing.

4 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

The reason I ask this, I didnt see any 4k OLED HDR in the store I walked in to. If you were to pick between 4k HDR or 4k OLED which would you buy

See @SolarNova's comment. "Regular" 4k with HDR added is cheaper, but OLED is the top of the top and will cost you a VERY pretty penny.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

OLED. They have HDR

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |