Linus - You are viewing it the wrong way

Linus,

You recently posted a video showing the benefits of 802.11ad or benefits lack thereof. 

In looking through a few items and understanding wifi, I feel you need to turn it all on its head. Yes, upside down.

You are trying to run the router through obstacles and across desks. However, if you were to mount the router to the ceiling, there are less obstacles, and it will have better direct signal to the connected devices.

Can you try that and let me know the results?

Luke

im pretty sure he talked about this and actually did it in this video, but also the walls are a thing that get in the way and ad is a standard that never took off anyway 

The whole point of WiFi is to use it around the home, office, etc. where there will be walls and other obstacles. If you need to be so close to the router that running a cable is easier, then the standard of WiFi probably needs some revisions or should be scrapped and another solution looked into.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The whole point of WiFi is to use it around the home, office, etc. where there will be walls and other obstacles. If you need to be so close to the router that running a cable is easier, then the standard of WiFi probably needs some revisions or should be scrapped and another solution looked into.

This.  If the wifi doesn't work as I carry the laptop between the bedroom, to the kitchen, or the living room, or if I just have my back turned to the router as I sit at the table, the wifi might as well not be there.

For future reference, if you want a chance to get a hold of Linus you'll have to mention him (he goes by LinusTech on the forum). I won't summon him here because I feel your question was already answered.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That would only make partial sense in a large open space, such as a warehouse. But then you'd run into range and speed issues, so you're back to where you started. 

having this mounted to the ceiling wont make it much better, a person passing by and blocking the direct path is enough to completely break the connection.

the only way for this to be practical would be if it establishes a connection on 5Ghz and 60Ghz at the same time so you have a more stable but slower fallback to 5Ghz is the 60Ghz signal is blocked somehow.

In other news, police found a man lying on the floor unconscious after they entered the home, when they got a called of a loud scream. They did not find the suspect, but did find a router next to the victim. It could be possible the victim had a struggle with the suspect, and the suspect took the router as a weapon to knock out the victim.

Spoiler

There was never a suspect, router was mounted on the ceiling, and fell just when the victim was walking by.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list