M.2 Screw - can't loosen - please help!

Darth Crow

Hello,

I just bought a new laptop and wanted to install an M.2 SSD into the free slot it has, but for the life of me, I can't remove the screw (the one that is supposed to hold the drive down).

I've been at it for half an hour with every tool I have and I just can't move it a milimeter. I only managed to strip the head.

Can anybody help, please? I tried looking for tips online, but I am not spraying anything on the brand new mobo.

Thanks a lot!

tape? A different random screw? Sugru-ish stuff?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you are careful, you could try with some pliers.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

17 minutes ago, Allupyourfinger said:

superglue it ;) 

Might be worth a shot, but I'll have to go out and buy some glue for that...

10 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

tape? A different random screw? Sugru-ish stuff?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about there, sir.

2 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

If you are careful, you could try with some pliers.

Tried and failed :/ that screw holds incredibly tight.

2 minutes ago, Darth Crow said:

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about there, sir.

Oh i thought you tried to screw one in, not remove it, my bad :D

Worst case you can drill a small hole in the screw, screw a screw into the screw and hope you screwed it in enough so you can screw out the screw with the screw that you screwed in.

Sounds actually very confusing... Drill a hole, screw a screw into the broken screw and when you unscrew it hope the 2 screws are stuck together strongly enough that you take out the m.2 screw and not the screw you just put in it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Oh i thought you tried to screw one in, not remove it, my bad :D

Worst case you can drill a small hole in the screw, screw a screw into the screw and hope you screwed it in enough so you can screw out the screw with the screw that you screwed in.

Sounds actually very confusing... Drill a hole, screw a screw into the broken screw and when you unscrew it hope the 2 screws are stuck together strongly enough that you take out the m.2 screw and not the screw you just put in it.

Actually, I loved that sentence :D Definitely saving that one to use later.

I'd try that but, eh, as embarassing as that sounds, I don't have a drill (new apartment :D ). I'll try to borrow one, though. Thanks!

If you decide to superglue it, make sure you have a screwdriver you don't care about. If you superglue it, find a screwdriver that will fill up the screw hole the most. Put a little super glue in the screw hole and stick the screwdriver in there. Then use Baking Powder and sprinkle some carefully around the screwdriver and into the screw hole. Make sure you have the screwdriver exactly where you want it. Once you use the Baking Powder, it will dry nearly instantaneously and will be 2-3 times harder than if you just let it dry on its own. Baking Powder will react with the chemicals in super glue and make it much more effective. This will give you the best shot at getting that screw out since the screw is so small. The superglue will fill up the gaps caused when you stripped it out. Good luck and post an update if it works!