WPA2 On old MacBook

I’ve got an old MacBook. Its number is MacBook 2,1, a core 2 duo. I’m trying to connect to my schools wifi which is a WPA2 Personal network. When I rey to connect, my laptop thinks it is a WPA2 Enterprise network, and asks for a username. Ive tried deleting the network and adding it again, letting the computer automatically detect the network type. Nothing seems to work. Is there a way to fix or workaround this so that I can connect. And im not interested in buying a new computer. 

Well, then connect manually and type in the SSID, set it to WPA2 personal with AES encryption and fill in the key. Also, if your MacBook is still on its original OS (OS X 10.4.x) then upgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion first. Where to get them cannot be discussed as they're not free, but they are easy enough to find elsewhere ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Well, then connect manually and type in the SSID, set it to WPA2 personal with AES encryption and fill in the key. Also, if your MacBook is still on its original OS (OS X 10.4.x) then upgrade to Snow Leopard or Lion first. Where to get them cannot be discussed as they're not free, but they are easy enough to find elsewhere ;) 

I have tried to connect manually and my OS is updated to Lion. Still no dice

13 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I have tried to connect manually and my OS is updated to Lion. Still no dice

If it doesn't connect manually either then it's probably time to ask the network admins about the settings you need. Apparently it's not WPA2 personal ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

30 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

If it doesn't connect manually either then it's probably time to ask the network admins about the settings you need. Apparently it's not WPA2 personal ;) 

My iPad and every other computer in the school says WPA2 Personal therefore I must conclude it is indeed WPA2 Personal. The network admins were extremely helpful and told me to buy a new computer. When I asked them to buy me a new computer they were less than enthusiastic so here we are. Thanks for the ideas. 

I've been able to connect to a WPA2 enterprise network from an iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 so I doubt the software is to blame. It must be a misconfiguration somewhere. I guess you'll have to figure that one out by checking every possible option.

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

I've been able to connect to a WPA2 enterprise network from an iBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8 so I doubt the software is to blame. It must be a misconfiguration somewhere. I guess you'll have to figure that one out by checking every possible option.

I’m not trying to connect to a WPA2 Enterprise network I’m trying to connect to WPA2 Personal. 

5 hours ago, JayMac said:

I’ve got an old MacBook. Its number is MacBook 2,1

Wow you are so lucky! You can install libreboot on your macbook and then put 100% free and open source linux distro like parabola on it and be free like in freedome :D

Seriously i was searching for that model in good condition for reasonable price, could not find one.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

12 hours ago, JayMac said:

I’m not trying to connect to a WPA2 Enterprise network I’m trying to connect to WPA2 Personal. 

I know, but a WPA2 enterprise network is more complex because it has verification mechanisms in place like CHAP and involves certificates. If that works on a 14 year old iBook then that rules out the hardware being too old. It means you're missing a setting somewhere.