should i get a 1600x or a 2600x?

Go to solution Solved by geo3,

2600x without question.

i'm building a new computer in the summer and I've decided i'm definitely getting ryzen but i'm not sure whether to get a 1600x or a 2600x, they both seem nearly identical. the 2600x is (probably) better but is it worth the cost to get the 2600x rather than a 1600x?

Just now, geo3 said:

2600x without question.

what is the reasoning? 

Don't forget that the 2600x comes with a cooler and the 1600x does not.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, ThatFlashCat said:

Don't forget that the 2600x comes with a cooler and the 1600x does not.

is the cooler sufficient enough to overclock with? ( say to 4.0-4.4 GHz) 

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Clocks higher, lower inter-core latency, better memory support. 

okay you convinced me lol, i'll go for the 2600x. I've also heard it runs better on fast memory, would 3000 mhz be enough or would i have to go for higher ram speeds?

Just now, geo3 said:

Well it boosts to 4.2 out of the box...

oh damn okay i guess i didn't look into the boost clock enough. that's alot of boost out of the box, thanks!

1 minute ago, wujoh said:

okay you convinced me lol, i'll go for the 2600x. I've also heard it runs better on fast memory, would 3000 mhz be enough or would i have to go for higher ram speeds?

I'd personally try for at least 3200. CL14 if you can find it, but CL16 should be okay also.

12 minutes ago, wujoh said:

an R5 2600 and just overclock it.

Or just find an R7 1700 they're on sale for $200-250 for now

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I'd personally try for at least 3200. CL14 if you can find it, but CL16 should be okay also.

i'm assuming 16gb is the way to go too.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Probably won't game as well as a 2600(X) because of the lower clocks and worse latencies on gen 1 Ryzen. Ryzen+ makes a big difference in games that were particularly rough on gen 1, like PUBG.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

an R5 2600 and just overclock it.

Of the 3 the 2600x should offer the best single threaded performance. So it depends on his use case.

1 minute ago, wujoh said:

i'm assuming 16gb is the way to go too.

Yes.

yeah 4.2 on single thread tasks.

all core boost will be a lot lower.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

42 minutes ago, wujoh said:

is the cooler sufficient enough to overclock with? ( say to 4.0-4.4 GHz) 

That's the Default Clock anyway...

And with Ryzen OC is possible but doesn't work well at all.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

45 minutes ago, wujoh said:

3000Mhz is the minimum I see recommended for Ryzen.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

yeah 4.2 on single thread tasks.

all core boost will be a lot lower.

i plan on all core boosting it. would at least getting it to 4.0 all cores be obtainable without the silicon lottery?

2 minutes ago, wujoh said:

i plan on all core boosting it. would at least getting it to 4.0 all cores be obtainable without the silicon lottery?

yes. but not on the stock cooler.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

yes. but not on the stock cooler.

yeah i definitely plan on getting an AIO. 

Just now, wujoh said:

If it can do 4.2 on 1 core it should be able to do it on all, in theory. But at this point thermal and power delivery become limiting factors more so than silicon quality.  Though there can be differences core to core even on the same die. However the vast majority of people have been getting 4.2 on Zen+ without much issue. 

2 minutes ago, wujoh said:

yeah i definitely plan on getting an AIO. 

of at least 240mm i hope. there is not a lot of liquid or girth on AIOs to make them terribly efficient in comparison to their open loop siblings.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

of at least 240mm i hope. 

yeah going for a h100i from corsair.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

If it can do 4.2 on 1 core it should be able to do it on all, in theory. But at this point thermal and power delivery become limiting factors more so than silicon quality.  Though there can be differences core to core even on the same die. However the vast majority of people have been getting 4.2 on Zen+ without much issue. 

that's good to hear. I plan on having good cooling for the cpu so hopefully I can get it that far.

1 hour ago, wujoh said:

2933 (i.e. 3000) is the point after which returns drop off, but you do get benefit from tuning your memory & running faster beyond that. If you don't have at least a 1070, you're really not going to encounter much benefit. However, given current RAM prices, going for 3200 normally costs about the same, so you're not really paying much for some added benefit.

1 hour ago, wujoh said:

oh damn okay i guess i didn't look into the boost clock enough. that's alot of boost out of the box, thanks!

The 2700X & 2600X don't really need to be OC'd. (Though, obviously, you can.) Ryzen parts now OC very similar to GPUs, so they push pretty close to the boundaries of the process node. The benefit where you can spend money for improvement is in RAM. A nice set of 3600 Samsung B-Dies can normally be tuned really far down, which can extract more performance out of 1080 cards & above. (But it also takes some work.)

3200 c14 memory is about the point where extracting benefit starts getting really expensive. Plus, it really only benefits you if you're running at least a 1080, so what GPU are you pairing with this? If it's a 1070 or less, I'd go with some 3200 c16 memory from a named manufacturer. It should work. If you're going with better, find a B-Die kit.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=ddr4_3200_c14-_-20-232-530-_-Product Something like that. The 14-14-14-34 is normally the give away.

Steve recently did a deep dive into the benefit. Doesn't do a dang thing for encoding-type tasks, but anything that thrashes memory with really small chunks of information it does help. Which is most gaming, though if you're running some webserver, it'd help as well.