Microphone only works when "Listen to this device" is active

Greta

To clear some things up, while I can hear my microphone and it shows that it recognizes sound when "Listen to this device" is active, it doesn't work in example discord, I will add a video below where I show this off. 

In the video I'm always making a noise, so even when "Listen to this device" is disabled I am still making sounds. Also, the sound you can hear is not directly from the microphone, however it the desktop sound that is coming from the mic.

I'm having this exact issue too since last night!

i7 4790K, EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, NZXT Phantom 530, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, BenQ XL2411T 1080p 144Hz, BenQ GL2250 1080p 60Hz, Razer Arctosa, Logitech G400s, Roccat Savu, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Mixer

Seen this in a couple of places on the forum too recently; have any updates been installed in the past short while?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

38 minutes ago, Greta said:

-snip-

Hey, sorry for this not being relevant but how did you make your Windows UI look that way? Specifically the lack of a background for the task bar and the dark theme?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This fixed it for me. Allow apps to use microphone in Windows privacy settings.

i7 4790K, EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, NZXT Phantom 530, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, BenQ XL2411T 1080p 144Hz, BenQ GL2250 1080p 60Hz, Razer Arctosa, Logitech G400s, Roccat Savu, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Behringer Xenyx 1204USB Mixer

I am having an issue identical to the OP on Windows 10. Issue first started 4 days ago (May 10) and affects any/all sound input devices I have tried. (Microphones and mixers, both 3.5mm and USB.)

The "allow apps in Windows privacy settings" does not fix this issue for me, and at this point I've also tried removing all audio devices and drivers via the Device Manager and recognizing/reinstalling them one by one. The only thing that appears to function is the, "Listen to this device" option. No clue if this is relevant, but while Windows and the Device Manager clearly see the microphone and allow me to adjust settings; no form of input is recognized through any software or apps I've tried thus far.

As far as updates: I'm not certain, but this issue may have coincided with a system update for me (I can't remember if there was an actual system update, or simply some Windows Defender patch).

Not sure what to do at this point beyond an OS refresh (blargh), so any help is greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know from the OP whether or not the privacy settings fixes your issue (if so, then maybe I've just done something wrong on my end). Thanks.

EDIT: A restart after changing the privacy settings has fixed it for me.

Same issue here. 

Privacy settings did not change anything for me.

Issue started with the latest windows update.

Also, even when I have "listen to this device" checked and I can hear myself, discord still doesn't pick up my mic.

I found a fix, and hopefully it works for you too.
If you go to "Sound" ( Where you can view "Playback, Recording, Etc."
Click on the communications tab.
It should be marked on "Do nothing", but if you change it to "Mute all other sounds" then reset it to "Do nothing" (If you dont, it will mute your audio), it should re - enable your mic. Its what worked for me

Sadly a friend of me have the same issue. But the privacy thing not fixed it :/ any new tips about this problem ?

Nevermind this was only a driver problem. Sorry for the post ^^

UPDATE: Fixed the issue.  To anybody getting drivers from the manufacturer, don't.  Most the time they are outdated.  It pains me to say this, but I used the free version of DriverEasy.

New member here... created an account just to find a fix for this issue.

I am having the same issue, just updated Windows 10 last night and I am now having this issue.  So I can say with 99% confidence the update caused the problem.  

I have tried:

-reinstalling drivers

-disabling drivers, testing, then re-enabling

-different mic inputs (two headsets and laptop mic, none work)

-enabling mic use under privacy settings

-going to sound->communications tab-> changing what is checked  (I have changed it back to "Do Nothing")

All help is appreciated, thanks everyone!

laptop: Gigabyte Aero 15

On 5/16/2018 at 10:06 PM, glacierr said:

It should be marked on "Do nothing", but if you change it to "Mute all other sounds" then reset it to "Do nothing" (If you dont, it will mute your audio), it should re - enable your mic. Its what worked for me

This fix courtesy of Glacierr worked for me, though I also allowed apps to use my mic from trying earlier tips. Additionally, I cycled between "mute" and "do nothing" a few times, before noticing that it actually worked. Also had to hang up and reconnect to the discord call I was in.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently still having this issue, has anyone been able to figure out a way to fix this?

On 5/16/2018 at 10:06 PM, glacierr said:

This fixed it for me.

I found a solution that atleast works for me.

Just go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone, and then you see a ''allow apps to acces your microphone''. Put that on and right there baby your mic works again.

• 1 month later...

I would just like to personal thank every one here, spent 4h trying to get one of my clients mics to work after a windows update broke it, Every website saying "uninstall and reinstall drivers" but the "listen to this device" worked, apon using this advice it has worked again!

So thank you all for the fix!, this windows 10 update issue is still going on till today so this tread is very useful <3

On 5/14/2018 at 7:09 PM, spencermehta said:

I Feel So Dumb xD thank you. I Disabled everything as Microsoft is poopy xD. and i guess when i did that i forgot to turn the microphone back on like i normally do xD Or Maybe it wasn't my fault? as some people were saying windows update turned it off? Who knows tbh xD

(Yes alot of happy faces XD)

On 5/14/2018 at 3:09 PM, spencermehta said:

Thanks very much for that. Thought I was losing my mind. Frustrating to say the least. =D

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 10:02 PM, dapeep said:

This fixed it for me.

I've had this issue for awhile now, and this fixed it for me along with changing my microphone to allow apps, but after  changint the setting to allow apps to use it the issue wasn't fixed until I changed it to do nothing.

• 10 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, spencermehta said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been trying to figure this out for a week >_<

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |