My old favorite online game site, FunOrb is shutting down.

Okjoek

A bit of gaming news that hits me really close to home. RuneScape was my first MMORPG back in late 2006, some time into my RS adventure I found FunOrb which was Jagex's other online game website. All the games were made with Java essentially like Runescape originally was.

Sources:

http://services.funorb.com/m=news/newsitem.ws?id=13838

Quotes from the articles:

"It is with great sadness that we have taken the difficult decision to say goodbye to FunOrb, which we will be winding down over the next 3 months. It has been amazing to see such dedication amongst those of you who have kept coming back to FunOrb over the last 10 years. However, advancements in software and hardware have made it increasingly difficult to access and play the games on the portal, and that’s ultimately led to our decision."

"Over the next 3 months we’ll be slowly winding down FunOrb. After 8th of May 2018 it will no longer be possible to purchase new FunOrb membership, and after 14th of May 2018 it will not be possible to create new FunOrb accounts. However, we’re not turning the lights out just yet. To make sure that everyone has a chance to enjoy these games one last time, we’ll be keeping the servers online until 7th of August 2018."

My opinions:

FunOrb was kind of like what Steam is to me now back in my RuneScaping days. I remember my favorite games were Armies of Gielinor and Steel Sentinels. These two games to me are highly unrecognized and under-rated to this day and I've never found a game just like them ever since. If I ever had the opportunity to create an indie game those two would probably be role models I would base mine on.

Arcanists tho. That shit needs to be released on Steam and PSN/XBL with cross platform. So many hours of fun.

funorb.PNG.56df9390f0a28cf2eca9e3047e3b89ad.PNG

I wonder why it died. /s

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Arcanists tho. That shit needs to be released on Steam and PSN/XBL with cross platform. So many hours of fun.

funorb.PNG.56df9390f0a28cf2eca9e3047e3b89ad.PNG

I wonder why it died. /s

I've heard there are games out there similar to Arcanist though it wasn't my personal favorite. So many of these games would've made for decent Steam/mobile/console releases. Miner disturbance was another good one. I'll treasure my times playing the games on this site forever.

I remember when they started it... I wasn't a big fan of it back then, still not now. Truth be told I'm surprised they kept it open for so long...

Hell... It's been abandoned for at least 3 years... I guess they finally realized the servers where still running and decided to stop them.

Copyright © 2008 - 2015

If you want to add it to the list of dead/dying games, contact Ross Scott over on Youtube (Accursed Farms). He's trying to document as many cases as possible - trying to see if the developers would let people host their own servers.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I've heard there are games out there similar to Arcanist though it wasn't my personal favorite. So many of these games would've made for decent Steam/mobile/console releases. Miner disturbance was another good one. I'll treasure my times playing the games on this site forever.

Same playstyle as Worms but I felt the different spell books allowed you to create your own play style. I had a ton of fun, put a lot of hours in to it in my free time.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I remember when they started it... I wasn't a big fan of it back then, still not now. Truth be told I'm surprised they kept it open for so long...

Hell... It's been abandoned for at least 3 years... I guess they finally realized the servers where still running and decided to stop them.

7.5 years.. They haven't made any updates since Sep 2010.

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I know (I saw that too), but the last time they even bothered doing anything to FunOrb facewise was the copyright back 3 years ago.

Seriously how lazy do you have to be to not do this:

https://blog.templatetoaster.com/auto-update-copyright-year/

They definitely forgot about it I guess.

NOOOOOOO

Also a reminder

To make sure that everyone has a chance to enjoy these games one last time, we’ll be keeping the servers online until 7th of August 2018.

Go play those games while you still can.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The membership for FunOrb used to be the same plan as OSRS/RS2/RS3 membership, meaning you didn't have to pay twice... Sadly they eventually made FunOrb membership standalone, killing off more of the userbase :(

On 5/12/2018 at 11:55 AM, ManIkWeet said:

The membership for FunOrb used to be the same plan as OSRS/RS2/RS3 membership, meaning you didn't have to pay twice... Sadly they eventually made FunOrb membership standalone, killing off more of the userbase :(

what user base? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

22 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

what user base? 

The last, tiny bit of enthusiasts...

• 11 months later...

it says 2018 not 2019 is that a typo or is it already shut down? Im pretty sure this already happened

Aren't FunOrb games run on Java? There shouldn't be software advancement problems since java is updated regularly.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, John_Trollinski said:

it says 2018 not 2019 is that a typo or is it already shut down? Im pretty sure this already happened

Na NateCompProblems is being a necromancer.
Okay let this post die everyone

NEcropost.png