I have an ASUS GL502VS with possibly faulty motherboard, need suggestions

Hi guys,

A long time subscriber of LTT on YouTube, newbie here. 

Tldr; I have a gaming laptop with possibly faulty motherboard which might cost up to $800 to fix, need suggestions on best way to salvage/fix my sh*tty situation.

So here's my situation:

I purchased ASUS GL502VS (i7-6700HQ, 1070, 16G) around 15-16 months back. From past 15 days, I have been facing issues with display. Sometimes when the Windows boots up, it will have GeForce drivers installed and run properly, whereas other times it will fail and boot up in 800x600 resolution. I thought this was Windows 10 just being Windows, so I replaced it with Ubuntu 18.04 and Nvidia drivers. Nope. Same thing. It boots and then suddenly it wont. I tried reinstalling, resetting Windows 10, Geforce drivers, Ubuntu, BIOS, etc. But nothing fixed it.

So, I dropped it at the service center and the ASUS guy tells me it might be an issue in motherboard and it might need replacement. That guy is yet to confirm it back to me, but I have been told by the service center that software issue were not found. Now, I did some research regarding replacement board for GL502VS, and they run up to $800 on AliExpress/Ebay. So. repair is out of question mostly (laptop costed by $1400).

Now I need to make the best out of what is very unfortunate situation. I have 32G of RAM, 256G PCIE M.2 SSD and 1T HDD that I will be able to reuse. Any other possible suggestion from you guys about best way to salvage rest of the part? Or am I truly f**ked?

6 minutes ago, pm_me_your_motherboards said:

Hi guys,

A long time subscriber of LTT on YouTube, newbie here. 

Tldr; I have a gaming laptop with possibly faulty motherboard which might cost up to $800 to fix, need suggestions on best way to salvage/fix my sh*tty situation.

So here's my situation:

I purchased ASUS GL502VS (i7-6700HQ, 1070, 16G) around 15-16 months back. From past 15 days, I have been facing issues with display. Sometimes when the Windows boots up, it will have GeForce drivers installed and run properly, whereas other times it will fail and boot up in 800x600 resolution. I thought this was Windows 10 just being Windows, so I replaced it with Ubuntu 18.04 and Nvidia drivers. Nope. Same thing. It boots and then suddenly it wont. I tried reinstalling, resetting Windows 10, Geforce drivers, Ubuntu, BIOS, etc. But nothing fixed it.

So, I dropped it at the service center and the ASUS guy tells me it might be an issue in motherboard and it might need replacement. That guy is yet to confirm it back to me, but I have been told by the service center that software issue were not found. Now, I did some research regarding replacement board for GL502VS, and they run up to $800 on AliExpress/Ebay. So. repair is out of question mostly (laptop costed by $1400).

Now I need to make the best out of what is very unfortunate situation. I have 32G of RAM, 256G PCIE M.2 SSD and 1T HDD that I will be able to reuse. Any other possible suggestion from you guys about best way to salvage rest of the part? Or am I truly f**ked?

I assume it's no longer under warranty?

If this is the case, then salvage those parts, find the cheapest laptop that's compatible and put those in

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I assume it's no longer under warranty?

If this is the case, then salvage those parts, find the cheapest laptop that's compatible and put those in

Yep, the warranty is gone (hence the unfortunate situation). Apart from mentioned parts (SSD, RAM, HDD), is there any good that could come out of that laptop? 

30 minutes ago, pm_me_your_motherboards said:

You bought a shitty model. Asus GL lineup sucks. Good luck dealing with Asus support, they have infamously bad support.

Have you tried DDU?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

22 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

You bought a shitty model. Asus GL lineup sucks. Good luck dealing with Asus support, they have infamously bad support.

Have you tried DDU?

Only if I knew it back then. :(

Didn't know about DDU, but Google search tells me it's "Display Driver Uninstaller". Would give it a try once I get the laptop back.

56 minutes ago, pm_me_your_motherboards said:

That's why forum is a nice place to ask for suggestions.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, pm_me_your_motherboards said:

Didn't know about DDU, but Google search tells me it's "Display Driver Uninstaller". Would give it a try once I get the laptop back.

DDU won't solve the issue, save your time.

If it failed under an entirely different OS (Ubuntu) then it's well and truly history

Pull out everything that can come out of the system. Wireless, memory, cd-rom, HD, etc and recycle the carcass.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 1 year later...
---------------Detectar idiomaAfrikáansAlbanésAlemánAmáricoÁrabeArmenioAzerbaiyanoBengalíBielorrusoBirmanoBosnioBúlgaroCanarésCatalánCebuanoChecoChino (Simplificado)Chino (Tradicional)CingalésCoreanoCorsoCriollo haitianoCroataDanésEslovacoEslovenoEspañolEsperantoEstonioEuskeraFinésFrancésFrisón occidentalGaélico escocésGalésGallegoGeorgianoGriegoGuyaratíHausaHawaianoHebreoHindiHmongHúngaroIgboIndonesioInglésIrlandésIslandésItalianoJaponésJavanésJemerKazajoKirguísKurdoLaoLatínLetónLituanoLuxemburguésMacedonioMalayalamMalayoMalgacheMaltésMaoríMaratíMongolNeerlandésNepalíNoruegoNyanjaPanyabíPastúnPersaPolacoPortuguésRumanoRusoSamoanoSerbioShonaSindhiSomalíSotho meridionalSuajiliSuecoSundanésTagaloTailandésTamilTayikoTeluguTurcoUcranianoUrduUzbekoVietnamitaXhosaYidisYorubaZulúEspañol

Hi, okay first thing is first.
Have you seen the BIOS battery?
Check it with the multimeter and check if the battery has power.
If there is no solution ...
We need a backup, okay.
If this does not work check the possible problems first through software.
Since this problem sounds like a driver problem with the controller with the screen.

If there is no solution with this The last step will be to check the motherboard on key components.