Well, I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna buy a Ryzen!

Well, I'm gonna do it!  I'm gonna buy a Ryzen!

This is my shopping list for July 2018 when I have saved up the £325 that I need for these 3 parts!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1600X-Desktop-CPU/dp/B06XKWT7GD/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525982597&sr=1-1&keywords=ryzen+5+1600x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-AB350-PRO4-motherboard-black/dp/B06WWF165R/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525983031&sr=1-1&keywords=asrock%2Bb350%2Bpro4&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B013GZ5RMQ/ref=pd_sim_147_19?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=4AR8PRXMK1JCHXS9DP9V&th=1

What do you guys think?  
I think this is pretty good considering i'm on a budget, because the R5 1600X is equivalent to an i7 4790K, other than in single core/thread tasks.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/2384vs3920

And I know about the new Zen CPU's, but I don't want one of those so please don't lecture me :P 

Love to hear what you think, and if you think there are any reasons I shouldn't get it.

Thx!

2 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

Well, I'm gonna do it!  I'm gonna buy a Ryzen!

This is my shopping list for July 2018 when I have saved up the £325 that I need for these 3 parts!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1600X-Desktop-CPU/dp/B06XKWT7GD/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525982597&sr=1-1&keywords=ryzen+5+1600x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asrock-AB350-PRO4-motherboard-black/dp/B06WWF165R/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525983031&sr=1-1&keywords=asrock%2Bb350%2Bpro4&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B013GZ5RMQ/ref=pd_sim_147_19?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=4AR8PRXMK1JCHXS9DP9V&th=1

What do you guys think?  
I think this is pretty good considering i'm on a budget, because the R5 1600X is equivalent to an i7 4790K, other than in single core/thread tasks.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/2384vs3920

And I know about the new Zen CPU's, but I don't want one of those so please don't lecture me :P 

Love to hear what you think, and if you think there are any reasons I shouldn't get it.

Thx!

What are you using it for?  Just games?  

I run a 4790k, 1700X, and 8700k.

The Ryzen CPU isn't bad, just noticeably slow in single core tasks.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

What are you using it for?  Just games?  

Mainly yes.

However I do use a mac for content creation, and productivity.  But since it's getting a bit old now and I REALLY cannot afford A new one, I am hoping that a powerful 6 core chip such as this one will be a suitable replacement once I acquire the software. :) 

Just now, gayfurry said:

Mainly yes.

However I do use a mac for content creation, and productivity.  But since it's getting a bit old now and I REALLY cannot afford A new one, I am hoping that a powerful 6 core chip such as this one will be a suitable replacement once I acquire the software. :) 

It's a good all around CPU.  You should be able to create faster than the old Mac and game (depending on GPU) with the best of them.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I run a 4790k, 1700X, and 8700k.

The Ryzen CPU isn't bad, just noticeably slow in single core tasks.

Hmmm...   Do you think it'd be a problem?
Bearing mind that I can put up with a lot, because I can't be too picky being on a budget, so i doubt it.  It'll still be faster than my current 1'st gen i3 xD

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Why R5 1600X? Why not R5 2600? Its better and only 10GBP more.

True, but I have said the same thing to myself about each CPU from the R3 2200G (My original choice) xD and since the 1600X is about the same as my boyfriend's i7 4790K, it's good enough.   I can always upgrade later. 

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

It's a good all around CPU.  You should be able to create faster than the old Mac and game (depending on GPU) with the best of them.

Well, I have a GTX 960, so for the games I play it should be okay :)

4 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

Hmmm...   Do you think it'd be a problem?
Bearing mind that I can put up with a lot, because I can't be too picky being on a budget, so i doubt it.  It'll still be faster than my current 1'st gen i3 xD

Depends on what you do. In games even the old 4790k is faster. In the desktop the 1700X and 4790k are about the same. In multithreaded workloads the 1700X curbstomps the 4790k.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Depends on what you do. In games even the old 4790k is faster. In the desktop the 1700X and 4790k are about the same. In multithreaded workloads the 1700X curbstomps the 4790k.

Well, again, I'm not too worried about it being a bit slow.  Since my current CPU is the equivalent of a Core 2 Quad Q9400.      So unless it's slower than that....   I should be happy.  

It's more power than I will have ever experienced either way I think, even my trusty mac only has a dual core Ivy Bridge i5!

16 minutes ago, App4that said:

Completely depends on the game. From my experience I have had good gaming performance with my 1700. Are others cpus better at gaming? Yeah but not enough for me to care.

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Completely depends on the game. From my experience I have had good gaming performance with my 1700. Are others cpus better at gaming? Yeah but not enough for me to care.

All depends on what you play and how you play it. My 1700X bottlenecked my 1080ti af 1440 in some games. If I was using a 60hz monitor, wouldn't be the end of the world. But I use a 165hz display.

Ryzen is a fantastic workstation CPU, I'd argue the best. It's OK Ryzen isn't that good at gaming.

Just now, App4that said:

All depends on what you play and how you play it. My 1700X bottlenecked my 1080ti af 1440 in some games. If I was using a 60hz monitor, wouldn't be the end of the world. But I use a 165hz display.

Ryzen is a fantastic workstation CPU, I'd argue the best. It's OK Ryzen isn't that good at gaming.

I have a 1080ti and play on a 240hz monitor, I know bottleneck. Good thing overwatch is very well optimized as I primarily play that. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, i'll just have to find out.  If I don't like it, I guess that my "If you're not completely satisfied" guarantee will cover it, and i'll just get a coffee lake i3 instead. :/  

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I have a 1080ti and play on a 240hz monitor, I know bottleneck. Good thing overwatch is very well optimized as I primarily play that. 

Overwatch has no issues. Andromeda, Sniper Elite, Black Desert Online, War Thunder, and a bunch others don't do so hot.

Like I said I'm not picking on Ryzen, there's a reason I bought it. I'm truthful. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Huh, funny.  I too play overwatch a lot and I do plan to get a 240hz 1080p monitor.  While I know my GTX 960 is a bottleneck for 240hz gameplay, but do you think Overwatch would be okay on my current 60 Hz monitor with the Ryzen?

Just now, gayfurry said:

Well, i'll just have to find out.  If I don't like it, I guess that my "If you're not completely satisfied" guarantee will cover it, and i'll just get a coffee lake i3 instead. :/  

You are running a 960 not a 1080ti. Most cpus bottleneck the 1080ti. Plus to put it into perspective I get usually 100 fps in most games. Not bad tbh. In overwatch I get around 240 but if I over to 3.9 or got my memory to higher than 2663 it would increase

1 minute ago, gayfurry said:

Huh, funny.  I too play overwatch a lot and I do plan to get a 240hz 1080p monitor.  While I know my GTX 960 is a bottleneck for 240hz gameplay, but do you think Overwatch would be okay on my current 60 Hz monitor with the Ryzen?

Absolutely. 

Overwatch has no issues. Andromeda, Sniper Elite, Black Desert Online, War Thunder, and a bunch others don't do so hot.

Like I said I'm not picking on Ryzen, there's a reason I bought it. I'm truthful. 

Fair enough.  Well, I see no reason why I shouldn't get it now really :) 

7 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

Fair enough.  Well, I see no reason why I shouldn't get it now really :) 

Ryzen are great CPUs. Spectacular value as all around CPUs. Just know as Nvidia releases it 11 series of cards the gap in gaming between AMD and Intel will grow as faster and faster cards release. 

Sounds doom and gloom, but it's not. Knowing what you're getting into will help the second guesses.

Ryzen are great CPUs. Spectacular value as all around CPUs. Just know as Nvidia releases it 11 series of cards the gap in gaming between AMD and Intel will grow as faster and faster cards release. 

Sounds doom and gloom, but it's not. Knowing what your getting into will help the second guesses.

Yeah.

Thanks for all your help. :) 

36 minutes ago, App4that said:

Sounds doom and gloom, but it's not. Knowing what you're getting into will help the second guesses.

Yes but so is the gap in performance between Intel and AMD. The single threaded performance gap is closing pretty quick and with Zen 2 it's like to be very different. Who knows AMD could catch up or even beat intel.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but so is the gap in performance between Intel and AMD. The single threaded performance gap is closing pretty quick and with Zen 2 it's like to be very different. Who knows AMD could catch up or even beat intel.

AMD won't beat Intel. I don't like saying absolutes when talking about things that haven't happened yet, but this one I can safely say.

What I can't say is how AMD and Intel will compete in 5 years. Right now AMD is doing as AMD does and offering more slower cores to Intel's. That strategy might not work in even a year. So we could see a price war, or something else. But Intel will have the performance advantage for the foreseeable future.