Klipsch Lascalla II build video idea for LTT

Kamjam21xx

I was watching this video from a while back, and i think they should revisit the idea with the Klipsch Lascalla II speakers. These speakers run you $4,000 and can be made for considerably cheaper.

8eb6814f658bbb084e5bb315be7c41b6.thumb.png.b4d202cb9c75a0eb5295840a81a4bbf5.png3f37e946f5c8242b468116947350eee2.jpg.e1ac9af24d2bd37679e8aed1a5529eee.jpgla_scala_II.jpg.0d883f52a3005352a2d2740b74326a53.jpg

Plans may be hard to come by, but it would be awesome to make these.

I dont know what drivers are in them but since thats the main cost of a speaker seems a little steep. You can get very high-end drivers at 500. 

The box also looks a bit of a basic design. At that kind of money, I expect a bit more engineering than a square box.

1 hour ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

I dont know what drivers are in them but since thats the main cost of a speaker seems a little steep. You can get very high-end drivers at 500. 

The box also looks a bit of a basic design. At that kind of money, I expect a bit more engineering than a square box.

Theyre made with really nice thick plywood veneer. Better sound dosnt come from complexity. Ive owned a pair of the originals which i dont think you can even find used anymore and they sound amazing.

Bower and wilkins charge 4k+ for formed wood and a sphere that tends to throw sound in all directions on the top.

I guess youd have to hear them in person.

Edit: idk how much their plywood costs, but even ordering in bulk a full bunk of really high quality veneer can be $140 a sheet, then $20-$40 an hour for a carpenter depending on the state. Sliding bed saws are about $90,000, workmans comp, etc etc.

I understand the price and think the premium on price isnt very much.

There is a woofer and 2 horns.

44 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Theyre made with really nice thick plywood veneer. Better sound dosnt come from complexity. Ive owned a pair of the originals which i dont think you can even find used anymore and they sound amazing.

Bower and wilkins charge 4k+ for formed wood and a sphere that tends to throw sound in all directions on the top.

I guess youd have to hear them in person.

Edit: idk how much their plywood costs, but even ordering in bulk a full bunk of really high quality veneer can be $140 a sheet, then $20-$40 an hour for a carpenter depending on the state. Sliding bed saws are about $90,000, workmans comp, etc etc.

I understand the price and think the premium on price isnt very much.

There is a woofer and 2 horns.

Do you have any details on the drivers such as make or model?

You could remake the box since its such an easy design made from basic materials but without the same drivers you got no chance

16 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Do you have any details on the drivers such as make or model?

You could remake the box since its such an easy design made from basic materials but without the same drivers you got no chance

For the woofer youre probably fine with just any nice 18".. the horns i forget what theyre called, but you could probably make your own horns just fine.

I got this picture i found of the old lascallas.

post-61789-0-85180000-1443549923.jpg

Im looking on my old phone for pictures possibly.

2 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

For the woofer youre probably fine with just any nice 18".. the horns i forget what theyre called, but you could probably make your own horns just fine.

I got this picture i found of the old lascallas.

post-61789-0-85180000-1443549923.jpg

Im looking on my old phone for pictures possibly.

The design is apparently a 15 inch sooo.

Cant read the details on the back of that.

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

The design is apparently a 15 inch sooo.

Cant read the details on the back of that.

Oh thats what it was, couldnt remember since i was planning on scaling it up to 21"