Question about LTT's Cameras and Camera Choice

Hello everyone,

I recently watched the RED camera video and it was nice since i stopped wondering what camera LTT uses. However a question answered and two takes its place.

1. From my understanding, LTT always likes to take it to the extremes so why not go for an ARRI ALEXA XT, ARRI ALEXA MINI, or even ARRI AMIRA?

Correct me if I'm wrong but XT as I have heard is around $70,000 USD or ARRI AMIRA is which is around the same price of a RED. Plus you don't have to deal with RED charging all those insane prices for cables and what not. I'm only saying this because I think ARRI would have been a better choice for LTT because they are always featuring people (Linus himself) which on ARRI would have the skin looking softer which is one of ARRI's winning points. I always thought RED was used for more action oriented or open environment shooting but maybe that's just me being affected by RED's marketing direction, design and naming choice. 

2. Why did LTT continue using RED despite all its problems?

I know they made a follow up video with one of their camera operator explaining some things, but to me it just didn't make sense. The guest shooter in the video said its better for post because you can reframe and downsample (which you still could do with an ARRI) and don't get me wrong, but that just doesn't make sense. As far as I can see, LTT is not doing action sequences with characters shooting each other up while the camera man is playing fidget spinner with the camera.

Also Linus, if you ever read this thread, it would be amazing to see YOUR opinion about RED after all these videos. Did you change your opinion or do you still think it wasn't the best choice? 

I think that they are just too committed to all that Red equipment that switching to ARRI will just be a waste of the Red equipment.

5 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I think that they are just too committed to all that Red equipment that switching to ARRI will just be a waste of the Red equipment.

I see but instead of going for the RED in the first place they could have considered other options.

Lets start this by saying Arri cameras are used in a highly professional setting like film or tv shows.

Arri does deliver exceptional quality but it comes at a hefty price. A new Alexa SXT costs betweeen 60.000 to 70.000 USD. That doesn't include anything else though. Alexa Cameras use a PL Lens mount which is quite different to any "standard" Mount like Canon's EF Mount. So you're either gonna have to buy an adapter to keep using your current lenses or switch to PL Lenses which aren't exactly cheap. In the case of LTT a Zoom Lens makes more sense than a prime.

The first PL Zoom that i found from Arri is a18-80mm and costs almost 30.000 USD. Alternativley they could use an aforementioned adapter but that is always a risk of losing some image quality. And you almost always going to lose some light. Addionally adapters can cause problems because they usually dont fit the mount as well as a direct to mount lens.

While RED does charge a ridicoulus amount of money for accessories you can always get a replacement mount. That way you can choose whatever lens mount you need and attach them directly to the camera and don't have to fiddle with adapters.

An Alexa is also significantly bigger and heavier than let say an Red Weapon. Given we all know how LLT videos are shot it's of more use to them to have a smaller and lighter setup. (Even though Brandon doesn't care about the weight if you saw the photo on twitter :D)

Then there is the point about reframing by scaling the video. I can't exactly remember which Red camera they got but most Red cameras offer a higher Resolution than Arri cameras. Since they deliver their videos to Youtube in 3840x2160 you're gonna need a bigger resolution to still have those options. Like for example 5K, 6K and 8K that you can get with red cameras An Alexa is only able to deliver a max resolution of I think 3414 x 2198  which is then upsampled to 4096x2636.

Even though with all that said: Alexas are still incredibly great cameras but they make more sense in a more controlled and planned out environment like film sets and tv shows where you can plan everything out in detail.

Arri Amira would still need more gear to make it usable as they use it, and that means it would be more expensive than RED. The price LTT said for the RED camera was with the extra equipment needed I think.

Correct me if I am wrong.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

they dont need a RED camera either so a Arri system is too much for them and Arri system accessories sometimes more expensive and RED is more modular and Arri do not push resolution like RED cameras in their sensor

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

On 8.5.2018 at 11:31 PM, Mihle said:

Arri Amira would still need more gear to make it usable as they use it, and that means it would be more expensive than RED. The price LTT said for the RED camera was with the extra equipment needed I think.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Actually I think you can get an Amira in a base package which would include everything that LTT needs.

22 hours ago, Bustapalapeno said:

Arri Alexas are not as sexy as RED cameras. 

Honestly I would take an Alexa over any Red Camera if I had the choice. Even though they can't shoot at those high resolutions like Red I think if you're looking at the Material straight from the camera it looks way better because of some of the internal workings of the Alexa. But that is something that everybody has to decide for themselves

22 hours ago, FStopDesigns said:

Actually I think you can get an Amira in a base package which would include everything that LTT needs.

Honestly I would take an Alexa over any Red Camera if I had the choice. Even though they can't shoot at those high resolutions like Red I think if you're looking at the Material straight from the camera it looks way better because of some of the internal workings of the Alexa. But that is something that everybody has to decide for themselves

I was talking more about the perception of the cameras and the company more than actual results from the camera. People in the tech space hear "RED Weapon 8K Vista Vision Sensor" and they start droolin'. The cameras look cool, the company has a bit of a mystique to it. 

Also, out of camera performance is pretty much irrelevant. What is more important is the flexibility in the grading. I think Taran mentioned in one of his videos that Brandon has a couple of presets and does all the grading.