Why Is The Rate Of Success For BGA Rework So Low When Compared To The Manufacturing Process?

hihihi8

As titled, how does a manufacturer manage to get nearly every BGA chip soldered correctly, whereas BGA repair for things such as the CPU socket is more like a 75/25 or a 50/50 at best?

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

I would assume it's because

1. Resoldering also involves removing it
  2. Repair shops don't have multi-million dollar machinery to do it in mass production.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

When you have an assembly line manufacturing this on mass, you can set it up to place components very exactly.

If you're doing a manual rework, you're then having to do it yourself. You need to clean and prepare the surface where the component goes. Anything wrong there, you wont get good contact. Assuming you get that done and place it, you have to align it very accurately, and keep it there until the solder has cooled. There's just more scope for things to go wrong... I'm guessing temperature profile might be a contributing factor too, like it if cools too fast, you might get bad connections. If it cools unevenly, it could shift.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

In manufacturing, they have dedicated stencil that the solder paste is dispensed through by machine, giving a very repeatable and even result.

The parts are placed by very expensive pick n place machines that scan each part to make sure it'll place it properly

When it comes to soldering, they go through a reflow oven which heats the whole board, not just the BGA part, which reduces thermal strains on the PCB.

The pads are also very clean when they're new, usually gold plated. Solder loves to stick to a nice clean surface of gold.

19 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I would assume it's because

1. Resoldering also involves removing it
  2. Repair shops don't have multi-million dollar machinery to do it in mass production.

3. Repair shops don't have consistent access to known good replacement parts

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Removing the chip comes with risks such as ripping a pad and trace if even a single solder ball has not fully melted. During production nothing has to be removed so those things can't happen.

Most of these parts also are not rated to stand the stress of soldering temperatures over multiple times, it's supposed to only handle that once.

There's also side effects of the thermal stress on the board, it only takes a slight bit of heat warping to possibly crack SMD MLCC and similar parts.

Let's also not forget that most repair shops may not be as clean, introducing more contaminants which could cause damage.

ASU

8 hours ago, hihihi8 said:

As titled, how does a manufacturer manage to get nearly every BGA chip soldered correctly, whereas BGA repair for things such as the CPU socket is more like a 75/25 or a 50/50 at best?

Because most often, it's not the poor soldering of the cpu that's the problem but rather something else - often when it does work it's just luck that by reballing the chip other things on the board get reheated and maybe bad solder connections become good again, or stuff like that.

Also, a  good professional doesn't reball the same chip, he/she replaces the reballed chip with a known working one.

But when manufacturing a card, all the parts are soldered professionally, in wave soldering machines or in high end machines that have very precise temperature controls (pre-heat, heating, soldering, cooling off etc.) and the boards are tested before they're shipping and if some soldering problems happen, most likely that board will be set aside so that the gpu chip would be soldered on refurbished or whatever boards sent to customers as warranty replacements.