How Much Does Apple Know About You? (Basically Nothing)

DrMacintosh
8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Throttling the SoC to prevent random shut downs because of PHYSICS and giving the user the option to turn that off is helping the consumer, not hurting them. 

That is entirely subjective and a twisted way of putting it. There was clearly a different intent at play in throttling the old phones. The fact that it's opt out doesn't change the effect it has on clueless users.

Apple takes no measures to prevent you from getting serviced by a 3rd party.

Lol.

1 minute ago, Soonercoop said:

That is entirely subjective and a twisted way of putting it. There was clearly a different intent at play in throttling the old phones. The fact that it's opt out doesn't change the effect it has on clueless users.

Lol.

told you, you're wasting your time. You should give up, Apple never does anything wrong. Or so say their mindless fans.

3 minutes ago, Soonercoop said:

Tbh, the twisted part came from them deciding to not disclose the throttling.

The intentions from the software engineers may be fine (I would prefer a slower phone over one that constantly shuts down and needs to be tethered to a battery bank all day. And this is coming from a guy whose had 2 phones do that very thing) but Apple did themselves zero favors by remaining mum until this exploded in their faces.

On that note, Apple needs better batteries on the iPhone. Like why does the iPhone have a 500 cycle lifespan before adverse degradation but the much smaller Apple Watch does 1000?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, The Viking said:

propietary bullshit software
Apple sheep, they just want to make Apple look good.
iSheep people 
isheep in denial 

I think your wording showed all along that you are much more of an apple hater than anyone here is a fanboy.

I don't think an objective conversation is possible.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

10 minutes ago, Soonercoop said:

If the intention was to just slow down phones to trick you to upgrade then the throttling would have affected all phones (including the Plus models), not just the 6, 6s, and 7. So, it's very likely it wasn't malicious, but it should still have been disclosed and it should still have had a setting from day one. 

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

On that note, Apple needs better batteries on the iPhone. Like why does the iPhone have a 500 cycle lifespan before adverse degradation but the much smaller Apple Watch does 1000?

I believe the discharge rate also matters -- e.g. the power draw requirements placed on an iPhone battery is likely significantly higher relative to the capacity than the power draw for a laptop / watch. 

8 minutes ago, The Viking said:

told you, you're wasting your time. You should give up, Apple never does anything wrong. Or so say their mindless fans.

Exactly this. Anyone who disagrees with you is an iSheep fanboy apparently. It's almost like you can do no wrong either.

4 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I think your wording showed all along that you are much more of an apple hater than anyone here is a fanboy.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

wah how sad. Just go ahead, download your own facebook file by ticking off all the boxes about posts, comments, likes, etc etc, and come back and tell me if it is 900 megas of data. 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I believe the discharge rate also matters -- e.g. the power draw requirements placed on an iPhone battery is likely significantly higher relative to the capacity than the power draw for a laptop / watch. 

Come to think of it, didn't Samsung phones recently have a battery that degrades less over time? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Exactly this. Anyone who disagrees with @The Viking is an iSheep fanboy apparently. 

nope. Prove me wrong. Those 900 megas of facebook, prove me they are real data. I've proved that facebook only has 1 mega of data on me, and ~300 megas with pictures and comments. Do those even count? Yes, no? 

because facebook is made to post those things. If they count, well, microsoft has all my windows 10 stuff, so....

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

nope. Prove me wrong. Those 900 megas of facebook, prove me they are real data. I've proved that facebook only has 1 mega of data on me, and ~300 megas with pictures and comments. Do those even count? Yes, no? 

because facebook is made to post those things. If they count, well, microsoft has all my windows 10 stuff, so....

You just answered your own question... 

It was 900MB likely because of the photos and other media Facebook stores. 

4 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Pictures, posts, and likes you make directly on Facebook ideally shouldn't be harvested, but I'd say they're technically fair game. Anything acquired from chats, telemetry, etc... certainly do count. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You just answered your own question... 

It was 900MB likely because of the photos and other media Facebook stores. 

yes, but my question isn't that one.

Does 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

photos and other media Facebook stores. 

count as data if the main point of the service is sharing that specific data?

So that means all what I have on my google drive counts as "data google has on me"?

Just now, The Viking said:

Does 

So that means all what I have on my google drive counts as "data google has on me"?

Technically, yes. 

Especially if they scan that content for anything amiss

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

If Google uses that data for marketing, ads, or other uses, then yes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Remember when celebrities gave phishers their account information to iCloud. 

FTFY

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Technically, yes. 

Especially if they scan that content for anything amiss

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If Google uses that data for marketing or other uses, then yes. 

Ok, if you view that point, then sure.

Spoiler

yes i'm just getting the f*ck out of here, whatever really. Apple cares about you, the rest are evil because they have 300 megas of likes and memes you posted on fb.

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And on the contrary you can have literally terabytes of images that you've randomly scraped off web services and put on Google or Facebook.

It's even easier if it's gifs, those things are huge

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can't squeeze data from a potato... Seriously the OP sounds like Apple HQ propaganda lol.

Apple has the data. You believed you were safe from Google/Microsoft/Facebook then BOOM you couldn't deny it anymore, no matter the mental gymnastics. Apple is no different.

4 minutes ago, Oggy said:

You can't squeeze data from a potato... Seriously the OP sounds like Apple HQ propaganda lol.

Apple has the data. You believed you were safe from Google/Microsoft/Facebook then BOOM you couldn't deny it anymore, no matter the mental gymnastics. Apple is no different.

Except that Apple has shown that they're different from Google, Microsoft, or Facebook. They refused to put a backdoor in iOS to give access to the government; meanwhile, Google handed the data right over. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Tbh, the twisted part came from them deciding to not disclose the throttling.

-snip-

I agree, we should have had a release from Apple detailing the issue and how their fix was to be used to solve it before implementing it. When I said "twisted" I was referring to the phrasing of the argument that "PHYSICS" is to blame for this issue.

Throttling the SoC to prevent random shut downs because of PHYSICS and giving the user the option to turn that off is helping the consumer, not hurting them. 

Two can play this game -

So what you're telling me is that the software team had to do this because the hardware engineers at Apple failed to consider PHYSICS when designing their devices?

It's a ridiculous and flawed argument. The people at Apple are not stupid and they know exactly what they are doing when they design a device. I'm pretty sure their engineers have a good grasp of PHYSICS.

On Apple's part where I take issue is that if the user can't replace the battery, the device is effectively end of life at the point it degrades that badly. The real solution in the first place would have been to fix the batteries for a reasonable cost for both parties, and they did follow up on it pretty swiftly after the news broke so good on them.

19 minutes ago, The Viking said:
  Hide contents

yes i'm just getting the f*ck out of here, whatever really. Apple cares about you, the rest are evil because they have 300 megas of likes and memes you posted on fb.

I'm pretty sure Apple *doesn't* care much about us. They just feel that they have some responsibility to bear for the data they have about their users and their rights to privacy

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They refused to put a backdoor in iOS to give access to the government;

But can you prove that? I mean, its great and all to think that some company is different. But, when you have closed-source code, its nothing more than hearsay.

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that Apple has shown that they're different from Google, Microsoft, or Facebook. They refused to put a backdoor in iOS to give access to the government; meanwhile, Google handed the data right over. 

Because it's worth more dollar wise when nobody but Apple has it. Virgin, fresh data.

Even if the data is anonymous and encrypted it's encrypted to them and you're only an algorithm away from the cloud and their other storage quickly being flipped through like a book and ordered into files on each user. That may be their end game finisher to be honest.

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Does 

Since you want to be technical here, the stuff you unchecked is the only actual data, everything else was metadata about you.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

53 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Since you want to be technical here, the stuff you unchecked is the only actual data, everything else was metadata about you.

you know, i give up anyway

somebody above said, you can't compare huawei to apple since huawei doesn't have a subscription service and their own OS

so why are we comparing Apple to Google and Facebook? apple has no sharing service like facebook, and apple doesn't have 3/4 if what google has, between browser, youtube, all their services, etc etc

and yeah ok, so metadata. wah, the difference.

5aede98465eeb_Descargarlosdatosdescargas_20180505192636.thumb.png.8241b810269fd1547a20ed61624a12f9.png

oh wahhhh google has 682.87GB of data on me!!!

oh f*ck i forgot to uncheck youtube..... so that's 682gb of the videos I uploaded to my youtube channel, lol.

does this still even count as DATA? So google is evil because  they have nearly 700gb of data on me but it's all... videos in 4K I uploaded to my channel?

damn...