How Much Does Apple Know About You? (Basically Nothing)

DrMacintosh
50 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Also, 9MB would be enough to know my entire medical and financial history... it's a pretty meaningless size comparison.

9MB is not just enough to know your entire medical and financial history.

9MB would be roughly 3087 pages full of text (463,704 words), and that's without compression (which can typically reduce the size of English text by 80-85%).

You could most likely fit your entire life onto 9MB of data.

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

9MB is not just enough to know your entire medical and financial history.

9MB would be roughly 3087 pages full of text (463,704 words), and that's without compression (which can typically reduce the size of English text by 80-85%).

You could most likely fit your entire life onto 9MB of data.

And on the contrary you can have literally terabytes of images that you've randomly scraped off web services and put on Google or Facebook.

And this is why siri needs some siri-ous help ;) 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

this thread is stupid.

I'll go create my own and title it "How Much Does Huawei Know About You? (Actually NOTHING)"

you know why?

because huawei just doesn't need any of your data, you're free to sign up to their services but can use their stuff without an account.

Point made. Stupid thread. Go jerk off apple on an apple forum.

Damn this is dumb.

edit: and to actually prove my stupid point, I've just requested my data from huawei. I may literally waste my time creating a thread jerking off Huawei on this matter, because f*ck is this constant Apple jerking off thing annoying.

Oh wait you didn't hold the iPhone the "Apple way".

indeed.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:09 AM, mate_mate91 said:

The thing is Apple makes products for dumb people. They only have animojies and cat pictures and pictures in toilet with their phone and duck face pictures. That's all. They do not think by themselves apple tells what they want and need. So what info can be taken from them? Nothing!

Nice b8

On 5/5/2018 at 5:17 AM, Monkey Dust said:

But if you don't want a flagship phone Apple don't have any lower-middle range phones.

iPhone starts at $349 and goes all the way up to $1,150

iPhone SE, 6s/Plus, 7/Plus, 8/Plus, X

Sounds like a good range to me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 hours ago, asus killer said:

let's be honest it's a comparison that makes no sense. You pay nothing (money) for facebook and you pay way to much (money) for Apple products. 

For me we shouldn't be paying nothing and expect a good service in return, but we also shouldn't have to pay such a premium. Neither model is appealing. We are missing a middle term. 

i don't know the specifics but things like playstation service or even windows seem to offer a much balanced service. 

But you should get to know what exactly we are paying for Facebooks free services. Thats the thing. Facebook makes it very hard for less tech savvy people to know what they are paying when they signed up for Facebook.

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

this thread is stupid.

I'll go create my own and title it "How Much Does Huawei Know About You? (Actually NOTHING)"

you know why?

because huawei just doesn't need any of your data, you're free to sign up to their services but can use their stuff without an account.

Damn this is dumb.

edit: and to actually prove my stupid point, I've just requested my data from huawei. I may literally waste my time creating a thread jerking off Huawei on this matter, because f*ck is this constant Apple jerking off thing annoying.

indeed.

No, it's entirely valid.

Apple isn't just a hardware manufacturer, although that's clearly much more of a focus than at Amazon, Google or Microsoft.  It runs cloud services that cover important functions in iOS (sync, storing certain data) and are used by many people.  It's getting into media services with Apple Music and its upcoming video offering.  And Apple has its own major voice assistant; Huawei doesn't.

As such, it's useful to know how much data Apple collects, because it's the heart of cloud services for most iOS users.  Huawei, meanwhile, is just another Android vendor; yeah, you won't get much data from Huawei, because it depends on Google services outside of China.

2 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

On the topic.. I don't think this is the whole truth. Somewhere there's a apple server with all my iPhone activity logged minute for minute.

Well there is no evidence of that so keep thinking it if you want. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

No, it's entirely valid.

Apple isn't just a hardware manufacturer, although that's clearly much more of a focus than at Amazon, Google or Microsoft.  It runs cloud services that cover important functions in iOS (sync, storing certain data) and are used by many people.  It's getting into media services with Apple Music and its upcoming video offering.  And Apple has its own major voice assistant; Huawei doesn't.

As such, it's useful to know how much data Apple collects, because it's the heart of cloud services for most iOS users.  Huawei, meanwhile, is just another Android vendor; yeah, you won't get much data from Huawei, because it depends on Google services outside of China.

Huawei also runs online services:

Wallet, Store, Cloud, HiCare. There's a huge array of Huawei services.

And I'll go and call bullshit on the Facebook numbers too.

900 mb????? HOW? Did that "journalist" untic the information and crap? I just download my own .zip and here's how big it is:

facebookzip.png.ca435076ed2fb67ea66fda6641336c6a.png

you have to untick all the top options, we don't care about your facebook posts or images or whatnot, we want DIRECT information.

stop believing information from Apple sheep, they just want to make Apple look good. There, Facebook has 1mb of real data on you.

edit: facebook data breakdown:

• Ads_interests
  • Advertisers_who_uploaded[...]
  • Advertisers_you've_interacted[...]
  • Calls_and_messages: NONE (if you use messenger without giving them access to your phone number....)
  • Location history; NONE (If you don't give Facebook access to your phone GPS)
  • Network information: NONE
  • account_security
  • administrative_records
  • authorized_logins
  • login_protection_data
  • logins_and_logouts
  • used_ip_addresses
  • where_you're_logged_in
  • index

On 5/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, The Viking said:

Huawei also runs online services:

Wallet, Store, Cloud, HiCare. There's a huge array of Huawei services.

Now put those services into perspective with companies like Apple and Google and their services. 

You need a user base in order for collecting data to be useful. 

On 5/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, The Viking said:

we don't care about your facebook posts or images or whatnot, we want DIRECT information.

You clearly don't know what people post on FaceBook and how those posts can be of value and be sensitive material. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You clearly don't know what people post on FaceBook and how those posts can be of value and be sensitive material. 

I clearly know about it, because I just posted it above. 

facebook has 873 terms defining my interests. 873 terms obtained thanks to mining my likes, shares, posts and interactions. What else do you want? how many megas of pictures I've uploaded to facebook? that's not direct information they can work with.

Just now, The Viking said:

that's not direct information they can work with.

Is that the criteria? They have to be able to work with it?

Most people would rather it not be collected by any company at all. That is the issue. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is that the criteria? They have to be able to work with it?

Most people would rather it not be collected by any company at all. That is the issue. 

it IS criteria. Apple may have collected "only" 9mb of data, but that data is just your ID, phone, etc etc. So what, the data stored on your iCloud doesn't count? 

that is why I call bullshit. Because after checking, Facebook has 1 mega of data on me, between interests, logins and such. We'll see when Huawei and Google give me my data.

edit: i'll go and download my entire file then.

edit2: all this then. Downloading it in low quality.

5aedc177796e9_Descargartuinformacin_20180505163538.thumb.png.497514d171c34edc62c582623538aed5.png

edit3: and here's all the data I'll download from google then. Because supposedly even the stuff on my drive counts, if you follow iSheep people reasoning.

5aedc2758dda8_Descargartusdatos_20180505163909.thumb.png.845b2466b044b08eda7a5fa6640bc40f.png

I will give Apple that they do a few things better than anybody else. Their security and privacy policy and concerns are the most sensible in the space and some of their software is pretty great. That said, this does not mean they are any more consumer friendly than the rest. While Microsoft mines telemetry data about you, your wife, your kids, and your dog, Apple is giving you a locked down software and hardware ecosystem, slowing your devices, and stipening the diy and repair industry severely. It doesn't matter what platform it is, they all have pretty awful drawbacks. Don't get me wrong they do a lot of great things but it's no reason for me to praise them or any other company when their newest PR push hits the news.

1 minute ago, Soonercoop said:

slowing your devices, and stipening the diy and repair industry severely.

careful, isheep in denial incoming to tell you this is not true and prove their point with 300 pro-apple articles

they are just "protecting your battery" and "avoiding third parties from damaging your phone or using fake parts"

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

this thread is stupid.

you know why?

Damn this is dumb.

indeed.

Huawei doesn't offer any subscription services afaik/care

Neither do they have their own app store or OS

So yea there goes that...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

3 minutes ago, The Viking said:

they are just "protecting your battery"

Throttling the SoC to prevent random shut downs because of PHYSICS and giving the user the option to turn that off is helping the consumer, not hurting them. 

3 minutes ago, The Viking said:

"avoiding third parties from damaging your phone or using fake parts"

Apple takes no measures to prevent you from getting serviced by a 3rd party. 

I'm pretty sure every company who runs a service mines user data in some way or the other 

Apple just happens to be the more conservative of the bunch 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Huawei doesn't offer any subscription services afaik/care

Neither do they have their own app store or OS

So yea there goes that...

coug cough cough no store or OS or care

and subscription service? what for? they don't have music anyway

Screenshot_20180505-165042.thumb.jpg.26ceb564040401a2c3ae15ccf2af9fb8.jpgScreenshot_20180505-165114.thumb.jpg.49baacecb92a96dbafda4386f468f065.jpgScreenshot_20180505-165243.thumb.jpg.f852faf2ed15819e6dcefee1ae9c1f0f.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Viking said:

coug cough cough no store or OS or care

and subscription service? what for? they don't have music anyway

That is android bro ^^ and the care part was related to afaik as in as far as I know / care about it

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Point made: Facebook only has 1 megabyte of data about you. 

without posts, images, videos, etc

facebookzip.png.44dc383dc9f72a47396b7ca960e88ffc.png

with posts, images, videos, etc etc etc, 4 years old account:

facebookdata.png.82540df24eb2d982d87a3207b7a7f837.png

"waaaah wahh wahhhh facebook has 900 megas of data on me!!!!!"

no they don't. They only have 1 mega. That's EVEN LESS than Apple. 

edit: here's what you get, if anybody's interested:

prooffacebook.png.ef9e1913b2f41e5997934ad93b2da2da.png

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

~snip~

I wouldn't really call EMUI an OS though in the traditional sense. 

It's more of a heavily modified front-end UX layer with an Android framework and Linux kernel. 

The same way I wouldn't call Samsung Experience an OS 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, The Viking said:

Point made: Facebook only has 1 megabyte of data about you. 

without posts, images, videos, etc

with posts, images, videos, etc etc etc, 4 years old account:

"waaaah wahh wahhhh facebook has 900 megas of data on me!!!!!"

no they don't. They only have 1 mega. That's EVEN LESS than Apple. 

you are comparing your facebook data to the 9mb of some stranger.

I don't know where to start but you do know what a sample is?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I wouldn't really call EMUI an OS though in the traditional sense. 

It's more of a heavily modified front-end UX layer with an Android framework and Linux kernel. 

The same way I wouldn't call Samsung Experience an OS 

i agree. But it's still some kind of "OS" made by the manufacturer who *may* collect data.

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

you are comparing your facebook data to the 9mb of some stranger.

I don't know where to start but you do know what a sample is?

Data is saved in HTML files. HTML takes no real space.

unless apple uses some propietary bullshit software as usual that is less effective than HTML to store large amounts of information.

I am not comparing Facebook having 1 mega on me to this random dude having 9megas on apple and 900 on facebook. I'm just calling bullshit on the way he checked that amount of data. 

edit: i guess apple fans don't want to understand the point I'm making about facebook not caollecting that much data as most of your personnal file is pictures, comments and such, and, if i posted daily on facebook, they would easily have a few gigs out of me, but it's not "real data" they can work with. What they can work with is the tiny HTML file of my interactions with advertisers and my interests.