Russia launches a floating Nuclear Power Plant

AlTech

Russia have launched a floating Nuclear Power Plant. It is on its way to an oil producing town to replace 2 aging power plants which are 44 and 70 years old respectively.

The power plant is located on a Barge and, in order to avoid Chernobyl 2.0, the barge is currently being slowly moved to a town called "Murmansk". From there refuelling will take place and a crew will move the power plant to its final destinaton in 2019.

46def903-d4ba-474d-9039-e6a2ce024689.png

After a period of time in Murmansk, the power plant will be towed to a small Arctic town called Pevek, according to German broadcaster Deutsche Welle. The floating nuclear power plant, called the Akademik Lomonosov, doesn't have any of its own propulsion hardware, so being slowly towed to its destination is a necessity. The company that built the plant, state-owned Rosatom Corporation, said in a press release that the second stage of the journey, from Murmansk to Pevek, will commence in 2019, with fuel and crew aboard the boat/power plant.

Once the plant reaches Pevek, it will be used to power the 100,000-person town, a desalination plant, and oil rigs. Rosatom says that the Lomonosov is intended to replace the region's Bilibino nuclear power plant, which provides 48MW of nuclear power and was built in 1974, as well as the Chaunskaya Thermal Power Plant, which is now 70 years old. Bilibino was once the northern-most nuclear power plant in the world, but after the Lomonosov is in operation, it will inherit that title.

The project has not been without the kinds of delays that nuclear projects seem to inevitably face: in 2015, the Norway-based website Barents Observer wrote that the Lomonsov would be put into service by October 2016.

And of course if this barge has an accident or bad weather then GG everyone in Russia -_-.

Meanwhile, critics are concerned that a floating nuclear power plant is a situation ripe for disaster if the boat encounters extreme weather. In a statement, Greenpeace nuclear expert Jan Haverkamp cited concerns about the Lomonsov's flat-bottomed hull and its lack of self-propulsion despite the fact that it is intended to be anchored in relatively shallow water.

So yeah, I'm not for this kind of thing. I think it was a bit silly to try to do this cos the sea and the weather can be quite unpredictable.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/russia-launched-a-floating-nuclear-power-plant-this-weekend/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

"in order to avoid chernobyl 2.0" lol that might end up with just the opposite, unless you meant that nuclear fuelling has not taken place yet.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

At least if "Chernobyl 2.0" did occur they could just sink the bloody thing.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

But wouldn't that contaminate the ocean?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just a reminder that the US, Russia, and I assume some other navies, have floating nuclear reactors already - aircraft carriers and submarines. The difference is that submarine reactors are tiny, and submarines with nuclear reactors spend most of their time submerged - that’s the point of putting a reactor on them - and aircraft carriers are bigger than this barge (less affected by weather) and can move to avoid weather. I don’t know off the top of my head how this reactor compares in power output to Aircraft Carrier ones, but this one is probably larger.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I don't actually know...

Maybe if it was far enough from land and at a ridiculous depth perhaps? I mean obviously there would be some issues from it, but not as bad as Chernobyl was.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes...

Not like it hasnt stopped anyone before... Especially the USSR, tons and tons and tons of contamination.

UK almost as bad as USSR so i hear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_disposal_of_radioactive_waste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techa_River

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The reactor melting through the bottom of the hull and entering the water, or the whole ship sinking, is actually about the worst ecological disaster that can be imagined. It wouldn’t be “Chernobyl 2.0” it would be Apocolypse because the entire planet would end of being contaminated. Ocean currents are all interconnected.

2 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I don't actually know...

Maybe if it was far enough from land and at a ridiculous depth perhaps? I mean obviously there would be some issues from it, but not as bad as Chernobyl was.

Try every ocean-based living product (fish, seaweed, shellfish), as well as most beaches, being contaminated. This is really something to be avoided.

5 minutes ago, brwainer said:

I don’t know off the top of my head how this reactor compares in power output to Aircraft Carrier ones, but this one is probably larger.

A Nimitz class carrier can produce 194MW of power from it's reactor. Whereas the largest nuclear power plant on land produces 6384MW. So quite a big difference.

EDIT: Also...isn't a meltdown pretty much not possible if they dumped the reactor into the ocean? Meltdowns usually occur because there's no way to adequately cool the fissionable material.

The good news compared to Chernobyl is that every country has come a long way in reactor design and operation, even if most aren’t building many plants nowadays. And they’ve talked about building this thing since the 80s so I hope that they’ve put the appropriate work into making it safe.

9 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

A Nimitz class carrier can produce 194MW of power from it's reactor. Whereas the largest nuclear power plant on land produces 6384MW. So quite a big difference.

EDIT: Also...isn't a meltdown pretty much not possible if they dumped the reactor into the ocean? Meltdowns usually occur because there's no way to adequately cool the fissionable material.

That’s a bigger difference than I expected.

Re: Meltdowns - the problem is that the casing normally used around the pellets, rods, whatever form factor the fuel is, is usually something that would be corroded by salt water. So if you dumped it to cool it down, or pumped salt water onboard without desalination, you would end up eroding your casing that keeps the fuel and coolant separate. 

Aside from any normal precautions against meltdowns, they may have made the whole system out of saltwater-resistant alloys, but that is just an idea.

Edit: typoes

16 minutes ago, brwainer said:

The reactor melting through the bottom of the hull and entering the water, or the whole ship sinking, is actually about the worst ecological disaster that can be imagined. It wouldn’t be “Chernobyl 2.0” it would be Apocolypse because the entire planet would end of being contaminated. Ocean currents are all interconnected.

If this was the case we would all be dead now with how much used reactor fuel waste was dumped into the ocean by the UK.

Not to mention the couple of nuclear subs that have had catastrophic reactor failures.

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

2 aging nuclear power plants which are 44 and 70 years old respectively.

as well as the Chaunskaya Thermal Power Plant, which is now 70 years old.

It's not a nuclear power plant, it's a thermoelectric plant.  Here's why you should have caught this sooner: The world's first nuclear power plant, Obninsk Nuclear Power Plant, only became operational in 1954, or 64 years ago.  A power plant that went online 70 years ago, in 1948, would pretty obviously not be nuclear.

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually it would be a highly diluted contamination.

Still pretty bad tho. Like the one happening in Fukushima (Leakage from the blew-up reactor and uranium bars pool's directly in the ocean).

You would have to forbidden fishing in that area for a lonnnnnng time.

Hopefully, since Chernobyl incident, they know how to do things. (fingers crossed !)

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's not a nuclear power plant, it's a thermoelectric plant.  Here's why you should have caught this sooner: The world's first nuclear power plant, Obninsk Nuclear Power Plant, only became operational in 1954, or 64 years ago.  A power plant that went online 70 years ago, in 1948, would pretty obviously not be nuclear.

Rip. Fixed it.

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not really. Direct area perhaps but it's not that bad. Plus it's a very small plant of its replacing only 48mW.

23 minutes ago, brwainer said:

So all those sea based nuclear tests and the nuclear submarines that have been lost must have caused world catastrophe! Oh.. They didn't. They affected the direct regions slightly, but it's not something that's as bad as you're making it seem. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not really. Direct area perhaps but it's not that bad. Plus it's a very small plant of its replacing only 48mW.

So all those sea based nuclear tests and the nuclear submarines that have been lost must have caused world catastrophe! Oh.. They didn't. They affected the direct regions slightly, but it's not something that's as bad as you're making it seem. 

Difference here is, he's talking about a meltdown. "Reactor melting through the hull" That shit is mega toxic. If they shutdown the reactor properly, I think everything would be (relatively) fine.

None of those nuclear subs sunk due to a meltdown.

Although considering the lower power of this reactor, i wouldn't expect anything Chernobyl 2.0 ish

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

Difference here is, he's talking about a meltdown. "Reactor melting through the hull" That shit is mega toxic. If they shutdown the reactor properly, I think everything would be (relatively) fine.

Meltdown at sea has happened before, its "bad" but not the end of the world.

@dizmo +1

Yep exactly.

@valdyrgramr Yes, but water is a strong natural barrier against radiation. And also against neutron rays. That's (partly) why nuclear plant reactor are built with a pool above the reactor.

So the ocean could be locally contaminated by human activity, and it's under close look by world wide agency to monitor the decay of the radioactivity in those area (if they still exist, apart from Fukushima obv.)

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Meltdown at sea has happened before, its "bad" but not the end of the world.

Just partial meltdowns though, right?

Just now, BarackOBatman said:

Just partial meltdowns though, right?

I believe there was a sub that actually sunk as well, but it was in military operations AFAIK.  Because of this we probably will not know much about it.

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

I believe there was a sub that actually sunk as well, but it was in military operations AFAIK.  Because of this we probably will not know much about it.

Interesting.

That would make sense too. I imagine that it was one hell of a spectacle and a nightmare!

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/the-most-dangerous-manmade-lava-flow/

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

And of course if this barge has an accident or bad weather then GG everyone in Russia -_-.

FTFY

Imagine Chernobyl but with a sea current dragging the nuclear waste around... either way modern reactors are much safer than they used to be and I would assume they learned their lesson since the last avoidable nuclear disaster, it should be fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*