Best CPU Cooler under $40 for i7-8700k?

Joelss

I really don't know what CPU Cooler to buy, I want a quiet one, I won't overclock and my budget is $40

This is my setup:

CPU: i7-8700k

CPU COOLER: ???

GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080

PSU: Corsair tx650m 
MOBO: Asus Prime z370-a

STORAGE: Samsung 960 evo 500gb m.2 + samsung 850 evo 500gb

MEMORY: G.Skill trident z rgb 3200MHz 16GB

CASE: NZXT H700I

Hyper 212 ? :P

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

1 minute ago, jakkuh_t said:

no please

i beg you

OP: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 is likely in your budget, otherwise Cryorig H5 Ultimate

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

212 evo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

212 evo

Does the Hyper 212 evo turbo make much difference temperature wise?

4 minutes ago, Joelss said:

Does the Hyper 212 evo turbo make much difference temperature wise?

There's a 212 Evo and 212 LED Turbo but no 212 Evo Turbo. The 212 LED Turbo uses an older heatsink design which is worse than the 212 Evo's heatsink due to wider spacing between the heatpipes but makes up the difference with an extra fan. They're more or less the same when it comes to performance.

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

47 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's a 212 Evo and 212 LED Turbo but no 212 Evo Turbo. The 212 LED Turbo uses an older heatsink design which is worse than the 212 Evo's heatsink due to wider spacing between the heatpipes but makes up the difference with an extra fan. They're more or less the same when it comes to performance.

Where are you shopping/located?

Oh, I meant the Led Turbo, sorry.
I'm located in The Netherlands, but buy most of my parts at Amazon.de

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why on Earth you would disgrace that CPU/system and get cheap cooler for it?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Why on Earth you would disgrace that CPU/system and get cheap cooler for it?

Since the temps on the CPU don't get that high unless you overclock, and I won't be overclocking.

2 minutes ago, Joelss said:

Since the temps on the CPU don't get that high unless you overclock, and I won't be overclocking.

I didn't mean you should get high-end cooler. Just something to match €300 CPU. Which is known to be on hotter side. You probably still need to downvolt it to keep temps down under load. But I support WoodenMarkers choice here. One is 140mm.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Rofl wait... so lemme get this straight, you're not going to overclock... But you're buying a K series processor and a Z series motherboard... WTF?

On 29/04/2018 at 10:17 PM, Joelss said:

I really don't know what CPU Cooler to buy, I want a quiet one, I won't overclock and my budget is $40

Get an i7-8700 non-K and a cheaper non-Z370 motherboard.

Use the saved money to better other components and get a cooler such as the Cryorig H7.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

The Cryorig H7 is a nice cooler, got one on a 8700k and it keeps it at the mid 60s (all the MCE bs turned off). Very good looking and not that expensive. 

My personal recommendation goes to the alpenföhn Brocken though (version 3 is quite expensive on amazon.de for some reason but it should come down a bit). Super quiet and more than enough even if you were to do some moderate overcklocks.