cpu and gpu heating often, what do i do?

Virtualnate
On 4/26/2018 at 9:54 PM, Virtualnate said:

Hi everyone. I'm having an issue with this gaming PC I built a month ago...

So based on what I am seeing from pictures of your build, you do have a couple small issues.

Firstly, a single-size AIO, no matter if 120 or 140mm, thick or thin, is never going to be enough to keep temps low. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that even mid-tier air coolers will out-perform that AIO. Large Twin-Tower Air Coolers with 140mm fans can even out-perform 240 and even sometimes 280mm AIOs. So yes, a larger AIO or a good, large air-cooler would be a massive improvement. Also, if going AIO, mount the Radiator at the front of the case, this will give you the best CPU temps possible.

The good news is, your airflow seems to be OK with one small exception. That Top-mounted fan is sucking a good portion of the fresh intake air before it can reach the AIO. If you get an air cooler or mount the radiator in the front, then the fan can remain and it will no longer be an issue.

Arctic MX-4 is plenty good enough paste, this should not be of any concern. However, if you want to improve it, Thermal Grizzly's Kyronaut is the best non-conductive (electrically safe) paste on the market today, but it is quite pricey. Never seen any tube of any size under $20USD.

Im using Arctic MX-4 myself, and my GPU and CPU pretty much NEVER go above 70C, even during synthetic stress testing, and I am on purely air cooling (see build log in signature for details). In fact, during any gaming, including 2560x1440p high-ultra settings, my build stays fairly quiet due to there being so much airflow that the fans usually sit at 50% or below. The GPU usually ramps up a bit, but stays under 70°C and remains not so loud that its annoying. So yea, the thermal paste is not an issue.

Lastly, continue tweaking your fan curves. If you fans are plugged into mobo headers, most mobos have fan curve adjustments right in the BIOS. I would suggest starting at 25% PWM at 50C, and work up in a near-linear way to 100% at 70-75C (your preference). This should keep your temps a bit more under control.

This fan curve profile applies to the GPU as well, but you will want the lower 70C to be the max 100% fan target.

If you want to try something without needing to purchase any new parts, simply put your 120mm rad in place of the front-top intake fan. This will cool the CPU a bit better, and will leave the bottom intake fan to deliver cool, fresh air to your GPU. Who knows, it could make a noticeable difference, you wont know until you try :)

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

GPU Tweak and Afterburner are essentially skins of same base software. I don't think they will conflict that badly. As for curves, do some testing. I've found that most of fans won't have any major effect after 80% of rpm. Also they get bit too loud for benefits. My current GPU is capped at 60% in which it will keep temps at 85C max under stress testing. I could get lower temps if I bumped speeds, but thats not really beneficial. The danger levels for GPUs are over 90-95C.

Yeah, I tend to aim for the lowest temps and use headphones 90% of the time I am gaming though.  Well, that and most cards with normal axial fans tend to be fairly quiet, even at full speed.  Reference cards with blowers though, good god those get loud.

Sorry guys ive been away for a bit. Thanks a lot  for the input and the thoroughly explained processes to cool components. Will let you know how it goes once i make some modifications! 

so I increased the front intake fans rpm up to 80% (1200rpm)(they are still amazingly quiet!!!!) and decreased the three exhaust ones to silent mode to about 700rpm.

Temps difference when playing Assassins Creed Origins 

CPU: before: peaked to 81c  now: no more than 72c

GPU: before: peaked to 82c  now: 72c

problem is, NZXT CAM software may have an issue, because even after playing at these temps that decreased considerably, I still got the notification stating that my CPU temp has exceeded 81c when this is not true at all. What could the issue be? Am I safe to game at all, or will I decrease the life span of my CPU/GPU?

You can try using software like HWMonitor or Msi Afterburner instead to monitor temps and see if it shows the same result.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:10 AM, WoodenMarker said:

You can try using software like HWMonitor or Msi Afterburner instead to monitor temps and see if it shows the same result.

@Virtualnate in my experience, HWMonitor has been extremely inaccurate. While no software is ever 100% accurate, the closest I have seen to an actual temperature probe is HWiNFO64. It is usually within 2-3C of a temperature probe reading, however it should be noted that sensor accuracy is determined by the motherboard manufacturer. Some boards have good temp sensors, while others are horrible. My Gigabyte AM4 AB350 Gaming 3 is an example of a board with complete shit sensors, so no software is accurate. Even BIOS is over 10C off quite often!

Current Build Thread:

@WallacEngineering yeah  i also checked with hwinfo but since i can't overlay when i play games i check by pressing the windows key to. Minimize the game. cam software sucks  it gives me higher temps than what it should be 

56 minutes ago, Virtualnate said:

Is it the vrms then? 

I doubt it, but I would check just to be sure. Download IntelBurn and run it at very high or max stress. Open HWiNFO64 and check out VRM MOS temps under the motherboard section. After 10 mins of stressing you should have your max.

Most mobos can handle VRM temps up to 120C or so, but its a good idea to do your best to keep it around 100C or less. If you are under 100C after 10 mins, then you have nothing to worry about.

Current Build Thread:

today I was playing Witcher 3 at HIGH settings, not max, and the CAM software temps on the window mode don't match with those showing on their notification boxes while playing.....

Should I test IntelBurn again at max, or is it not necessary?

17 minutes ago, Virtualnate said:

Should I test IntelBurn again at max, or is it not necessary?

Seems like your temps are perfectly fine, you even have headroom for overclocking. A retest may be necessary just because CAM software is known to be innaccurate. I would download HWiNFO64 and monitor using this software.

Current Build Thread: