cpu and gpu heating often, what do i do?

Virtualnate

Hi everyone. I'm having an issue with this gaming PC I built a month ago. Temps at idle are

CPU 35c

GPU 35c

(on average)

When I start playing Far Cry 5, or Mass Effect Andromeda or even a not so demanding game like Last Light, either at max settings or at, say, the second best option after max settings (2560, high instead of ultra, etc) that's when the issue arises. I check the temps with CAM software every now and then only to find out that the CPU has gone up to 75c and GPU almost like 82c!!! what is going on??? From idle to this seems a pretty big jump to me. I mean, if I had idle temps at about 50c, then it'd be normal, but I don't know what to do. I often get the notification from NZXT that says something along the lines of ....the temperature may reduce the cpu/gpu life span if the use is prolonged at x temperature....

Should I consider building a custom loop and get a case such as the Lian Li PCv3000??

These are my components:

The specs are the following:

*Nzxt S340 (reg, not elite) 

*Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 

*i7 8700k 

*Evga supernova g2 650 watts

*Nzxt kraken m22 cooler

*1 tb Samsung 850 evo 2.5" ssd

(steam library and kontakt libraries here) 

*250gb NVme m. 2 Samsung evo 

(os and programs in here) 

*Evga GeForce gtx 1050 ti

*thermaltake premium plus TT rgb 

(2 intakes in front 1 exhaust on top, and a push/pull configuration in the rear) 

32gb g. Skill 2400 15-15-15-35 

Any advice will be much appreciated!!! Thank you guys!!

Those temps are normal especially if gaming. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

83C is the temperature ceiling for a 10-series gpu, it will start to ramp fan speeds to keep the gpu at or below this temperature. For your CPU, that is a high-ish temperature, but not alarmingly so.

The most likely scenario is that your case isn't getting enough airflow. Your individual cpu and gpu coolers seem to be working, but if the heat is being dumped back into the case with nowhere to go then that can explain the temperatures.

Make sure your cpu heatsink is properly seated with enough thermal paste.

so, these are my fans (high static pressure) and I used Artic MX4. Should I get a kraken 240mm and put the rad in the front instead??

20180427_004724.jpg

20180427_004705.jpg

20180427_004715.jpg

20180427_004718.jpg

For a 120mm radiator that's actually a decent temperature under load. I didn't realise you were using such a small cooler (I didn't google the m22, my bad). 

Everything seems relatively okay in that case, your gpu likely just has a quiet fan curve. If the temperatures alarm you you can change it using something like msi afterburner, but otherwise you seem to be very safe on both cpu and gpu temps.

I mean, if 35c is normal at idle for both cpu and gpu, wouldn't it mean that even at full load on both, the airflow is still good? otherwise I wouldn't have managed to get those temps at idle. Am I missing a step in my fan settings??

thanks Tabs, I was beginning to worry. So then, NZXT just sends you that notification as a precautionary measure if you opt to change fan settings to give better cooling to your components? Then, I should not have to worry about custom watercooling AT ALL, right? Just adjust the fan curve?

Those are normal temps.  At idle the chips are only pushing 5-20w of heat, under load the heat output goes up to ~140w on the CPU and ~200w on the GPU.  Thats not an EVGA 1050Ti, looks more like a 1080 from ASUS.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Karath, sorry, yeah that's the Rog strix 1080 ti OC. I got confused with my previously purchased card

Would this fan curve that I just customized be ok? I also have ASUS GPU Tweak II. Should I uninstall the asus software so it doesn't interfere with MSI afterburner's settings??

Screenshot (126).png

fans 1& 2 are front intake, 3 is front exhaust and 4 &5 rear exhaust....does it all seem good so far??

I would speed up the GPU fans, you want it to look like an exponential graph (increasing faster at the end).  Lower GPU temps = better performance with GTX 10 series, down to ~70c.

if its all normal temps then I'll save the money and buy the Alienware AW3418DW Gsync instead of investing on a custom loop!!

thanks Karath, would you please mind sending me a sample picture of how I should set the fan curve? if you can of course

Something like this...

curve.png.29111c608fb794f04a2fb5baf57678bc.png

It will keep fan speeds down until the card approaches the critical temp, then jump up to 100% to save the card.

11 hours ago, Virtualnate said:

Would this fan curve that I just customized be ok? I also have ASUS GPU Tweak II. Should I uninstall the asus software so it doesn't interfere with MSI afterburner's settings??

GPU Tweak and Afterburner are essentially skins of same base software. I don't think they will conflict that badly. As for curves, do some testing. I've found that most of fans won't have any major effect after 80% of rpm. Also they get bit too loud for benefits. My current GPU is capped at 60% in which it will keep temps at 85C max under stress testing. I could get lower temps if I bumped speeds, but thats not really beneficial. The danger levels for GPUs are over 90-95C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Your temps are normal for a 1080 Ti. It's a fairly power hungry card that isn't easy to cool.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

You can tag by starting an an '@' and typing their name will reveal a dropdown menu. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker

thanks for the tip as I'm new to the forum. Thanks for the info on the card as well!!