Man gets 15 months in prison for selling "worthless" Windows restore disks

Ryz
1 hour ago, STRESSMASTER said:

I just believe that replacement discs should be sold to people for cost plus S&H at most. I personally can get them online from MS and make a bootable DVD or USB but there is a ton of ppl that can not do this.

erm... ok... Even when I was on dial up (preonline downloading, over a decade ago) I never had that issue... Besides most people who know how to use the install disc would more than likely know how to get/make one for free, or be at least smart enough to ask. For everyone else there is BB GS or other shops.

Also the pay for shipping method is a failed reason why Ubuntu doesn't ship discs anymore. They used to offer them for free but that was expensive, then they asked for a small fee, then ultimately stopped. $25 is a reasonable fee for a replacement disc where MS could simply say "buy a new OS at full price"

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

erm... ok... Even when I was on dial up (preonline downloading, over a decade ago) I never had that issue... Besides most people who know how to use the install disc would more than likely know how to get/make one for free, or be at least smart enough to ask. For everyone else there is BB GS or other shops.

Also the pay for shipping method is a failed reason why Ubuntu doesn't ship discs anymore. They used to offer them for free but that was expensive, then they asked for a small fee, then ultimately stopped. $25 is a reasonable fee for a replacement disc where MS could simply say "buy a new OS at full price"

I normally would agree with that and if it was 2 years ago I would totally agree with it. However, now MS has closed off downloads of there OS's unless your part of the partner program.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

1 hour ago, STRESSMASTER said:

I normally would agree with that and if it was 2 years ago I would totally agree with it. However, now MS has closed off downloads of there OS's unless your part of the partner program.

As a stand alone customer I seem to have access to my OS and windows 7 seems to be fine too(I don't have a key with me to test it)...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

23 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

As a stand alone customer I seem to have access to my OS and windows 7 seems to be fine too(I don't have a key with me to test it)...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

yeah about that site..... It does not work worth a darn for anything OEM. works fine for retail keys and if you have windows 10 oem or retail but not for many OEM keys older than windows 10. I have had to call MS many times to get a reissue of a OEM to RETAIL key just to use that site.

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

So putting an official freely downloadable program onto a disk and selling the item for the price of the disk is producing counterfeit products?

I am not too sure how he was found to be guilty of producing counterfeit goods:

1. Microsoft offers a similar tool in the form of the Media Creation Tool.
  2. He was not making any money off it - simply helping people who couldn't do it by themselves.
  3. Windows disks cannot be used to produce counterfeit copies of Windows - you need a licence key for that. Microsoft, if this really produces counterfeit copies please remove the activation requirement for Windows. Nope? Then this is not harming your sales.

Windows 10 force upgrades, Windows 10 in general, Cortana, data collection.... Microsoft what are you doing?

2 hours ago, STRESSMASTER said:

It costs about 25 cents for a DVD blank. he wasn't doing it to make money that is for sure

I'm not really sure that he used record able DVD media.  He produced 28 000 units, that's a LOT of discs, like a HELL OF A LOT.  You'd basically have to be insane to produce 28 000 units using recordable media.  With that many discs, you'd go to a replication plant and get discs pressed since it'd be a lot cheaper and faster on that scale.

It's kinda like using your desktop printer.  Gonna pent 50 copies of your resume?  Time for a desktop printer.  Gonna print 5 000 copies of your novel?  You need a printing press.

I don't know, to me it is simple.

1- He was making money by charging 25$ for his restore disk that are Windows ISO images. So basically, he was distributing Windows without permission from Microsoft and making money.

2- Giving him the benefit of the doubt, instead of getting the OS actual ISO image, he torrented or downloaded ISOs from the web, thinking they are legit, non modified copies of Windows, thinking he is doing good, but a or some were not. They might not activate Windows as the license if missing and isn't cracked, but they have been been modified. This is a point that Microsoft must have demonstrated this in court. Probably did a md5 and sha-256 of of the his disk and the official disk of Windows showing to the court that they are not identical to Microsoft official release.

I don't know what exactly happen in court. He probably had a terrible lawyer defending him, or Microsoft showed point #2 (the Windows install disk he was distributing didn't match the official disk), and he could not defend the point that Windows is still secure by showing what changed, or defend his point by showing the md5 and sha-256 of HIS OFFICIAL disk, which I assume could not do as he got it online instead.

"Companies don't sell recovery discs". Dell does, HP does, et cetera. They only keep those discs for a year or two and good luck trying to get them afterwards. They usually charge $20-40. Losing "potential" sales isn't verifiable for similar reasons to piracy as those "lost sales" most likely weren't going to purchase anyway. This is only hurting consumers and machines that would already have Windows licenses attached. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

guys, it doesn't matter. the recovery disks are IP. If you burn a copy onto a CD/DVD and then offer it for sale as genuine (explicit or implicit)... it is a counterfeit product.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I honestly don't get what the fuss is about. I agree with the court tbh. If he's an activist in this field, then he should have been smart enough to understand copyright laws and their interpretations. His cause and intentions were noble, but his execution was poor, if not terrible.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

On 4/25/2018 at 3:27 PM, RoyalGamer1 said:

because of the $700,000. if it was a few hundred then they wouldn't care 

You got that right, plus I bet he has prior convictions.

So I bet this is in the USA, he will be out in no time, or House Arrest like Bill Cosby is getting for rape.

In Canada the MS Disk guy would have gotten probation.

There's now an actual news post on this so the discussion should continue there

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/921071-prison-for-making-counterfeit-windows-restore-disks/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.