Best Windows 7 Rig

Hello,

Firstly may I say that I am an extremely happy Windows 7 user and after the travesty of interface design that is called Windows 10, I will never be 'upgrading'. Now that's out of the way I would like to get to my question, considering that newer generations of CPUs do not support Windows 7, I would like to know the 'ultimate' Windows 7 machine build. Criteria- CPU must be supported and must work without any community made/ 3rd party patches. It has to be a no-compromises machine i.e. DDR4, overclocked, pro mobo etc etc... I ask this in light of pursuit to build the best possible, fully supported Windows 7 rig, a new passion of my having had the misfortune the other day, of using Windows 10.

Help a brother out.

Louis

What? I'm pretty sure many modern CPUs work with windows 7.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

3 minutes ago, louisjamesbanks said:

Hello,

Firstly may I say that I am an extremely happy Windows 7 user and after the travesty of interface design that is called Windows 10, I will never be 'upgrading'. Now that's out of the way I would like to get to my question, considering that newer generations of CPUs do not support Windows 7, I would like to know the 'ultimate' Windows 7 machine build. Criteria- CPU must be supported and must work without any community made/ 3rd party patches. It has to be a no-compromises machine i.e. DDR4, overclocked, pro mobo etc etc... I ask this in light of pursuit to build the best possible, fully supported Windows 7 rig, a new passion of my having had the misfortune the other day, of using Windows 10.

Help a brother out.

Louis

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Some Cpus don't support windows 7 anymore like kaby and coffee lake and zen

2 minutes ago, coyotetracker said:

Some Cpus don't support windows 7 anymore like kaby and coffee lake and zen

From what I see the only issues is W7 not supporting USB3

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

7 minutes ago, louisjamesbanks said:

Hello,

Help a brother out.

Louis

@louisjamesbanks Here is a parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hb4sXP

4 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

If you do get it installed, Microsoft will deny you updates on the OS though. 

To OP, I think the best platform you could choose is 1150 (Haswell, Devil's Canyon) or LGA 2011-3 if you want the extra cores compared to.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

If you do get it installed, Microsoft will deny you updates on the OS though. 

To OP, I think the best platform you could choose is 1150 (Haswell, Devil's Canyon) or LGA 2011-3 if you want the extra cores compared to.

Does Haswell support ddr4?

Just now, coyotetracker said:

Dont think so

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Crap, missed that part. It indeed does not support DDR4. 

I think the LGA 2011-3 would be the only platform supporting what OP needs.

DDR4 support, still somewhat higher end. Plus anything beyond that will be registery tweaked so you still get updates, if you even get the OS installed.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Crap, missed that part. It indeed does not support DDR4. 

I think the LGA 2011-3 would be the only platform supporting what OP needs.

DDR4 support, still somewhat higher end. Plus anything beyond that will be registery tweaked so you still get updates, if you even get the OS installed.

The best Cpu for him is probably skylake. 

The best Cpu for him is probably skylake. 

Likely. Depends on what is more important, single core performance (which is better on Skylake) or extra cores (X99)

Wait, why is Intel ending it's support of Windows 7?  Microsoft said it's still got a few years left in it?

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Wasnt it the 5860k that kind of hit the sweetspot? Especially when overclocked?

5820K or 5930K?

But these are both great, the first more than the latter; since the latter really only has some more PCI lanes, which would be a good thing in 3 or 4 way SLI (wow, things that don't exist anymore! /s)

Just now, ZcanKal said:

Wait, why is Intel ending it's support of Windows 7?  Microsoft said it's still got a few years left in it?

Installing Windows 7 on newer boards is already a big deal, since some motherboards wont pick it up, but Microsoft also tells people with Kaby Lake or Ryzen systems (or newer, probably) that their systems are not supported and won't receive updates until they are on Windows 10.

So while yes, Windows 7 is supported until 2020, not on all platforms.

22 minutes ago, Minibois said:

5820K or 5930K?

But these are both great, the first more than the latter; since the latter really only has some more PCI lanes, which would be a good thing in 3 or 4 way SLI (wow, things that don't exist anymore! /s)

Installing Windows 7 on newer boards is already a big deal, since some motherboards wont pick it up, but Microsoft also tells people with Kaby Lake or Ryzen systems (or newer, probably) that their systems are not supported and won't receive updates until they are on Windows 10.

So while yes, Windows 7 is supported until 2020, not on all platforms.

changed to 5820k prior to your post ;) 5860k just didn't sound right so I had to do some google-fu

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

If you do get it installed, Microsoft will deny you updates on the OS though

The Zeffy Patch will take care of that.

Personally I built an X99 system because at the time there was still a lot of uncertainty about whether or not Skylake would also not get updates anymore etc.  I'll be using this rig for ... ooh ... probably another 5 or more years. 

One thing worth noting is that support for Win7 will end in January 2020.  There will be no registry tweak to get several more years of patches like XP has, and I'm not sure if there will be a server version of the OS that still gets patched, like Vista users are now using Server2008 patches for example.  So assume that in 2020 your OS will not get patched anymore.  

I too will not be making the jump to Win10.  I still have an 8.1 retail box, which should see me through to 2023.  But the odds are that I'm 100% on Linux before 2020 anyway. 

I have a skylake with usb3 and ddr4 supported a fresh install of Win7 no issues...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The Zeffy Patch will take care of that.

OP asked for something that did not require "community made/ 3rd party patches", which is why I chose not to mention any of those sorta patches.

I've been thinking about going Linux too, because Windows 10 is just not what I have been looking for. It's just that I have never (outside of some server work) really used Linux and basically always used Windows.

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

OP asked for something that did not require "community made/ 3rd party patches", which is why I chose not to mention any of those sorta patches.

Ah, I must have missed that part.  My bad! :$

Yeah, then it's Skylake or X99 indeed

Windows 7 works with all new Intel and AMD CPUs, and the block of newer CPUs that Microsoft has added to Windows 7 and 8's Windows Update is entirely artificial.

The artificial block on Windows Update in Windows 7 and 8 for newer CPUs can easily be permanently removed with this patch, which Captain Chaos already mentioned.

It takes less than a minute to download and run, and then your Windows 7 OS is set for its life to receive all future security updates. There's no reason to not do that, if you want to have all the latest hardware, and also want to have all future Windows 7 security updates installed.

Alternatively, you could download an already up-to-date Windows 7 ISO from here: http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/

Their ISOs are updated each month. You could install Windows 7 from their ISO, and then just not care about Windows Update from then on.

Another option, if you  feel you don't need Windows Update at all, and don't want any of the invasive telemetry that Microsoft has back-added to Windows 7, is to download the June 2015 ISO of Windows 7 Ultimate that I have here: 

Windows 7 doesn't have native USB 3 support, but you can find whichever USB 3 driver you need and either slipstream it into your Windows 7 ISO, or install it after you've installed Windows 7 via a disc.

MSI Smart Tool seems to work for everybody to add USB 3 drivers to a bootable Windows 7 USB installer.

Intel also has a tool to create a USB 3 bootable Windows 7 image.

Gigabyte has a similar tool. Download Gigabyte's tool here.

Gigabyte's guide to using their tool.

Gigabyte provides Windows 7 chipset drivers on their website for their latest Intel motherboards.

And if you want to go with AMD, they supply full chipset drivers for Ryzen and Threadripper: 

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987