New Yahoo ToS

Odur32

Woke up, and opened my browser to check email this morning and found this.... 

How we collect and use data.

• We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, relevant advertising and abuse protection.
  • This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you, and providing anonymized and/or aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends.

Sharing Data with Verizon.

So not only would I be agreeing to let them read my emails but also to allow them to share it with people like Ajit Pai over at Verizon?

2018-04-25.png

2018-04-25 (1).png

1 minute ago, Odur32 said:

Woke up, and opened my browser to check email this morning and found this

Someone is still using Yahoo Mail?

image.png.1f4e7a1d9ec4e4bace3c844749785e28.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yahoo's dying dead anyway. Who cares?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I've had this email for the better part of 14 years. It's mostly just for spam but I still keep a few things going there that aren't.

11 minutes ago, Odur32 said:

So not only would I be agreeing to let them read my emails but also to allow them to share it with people like Ajit Pai over at Verizon?

If anyone is concerned about other people reading their emails, they shouldn't use Yahoo Mail.

1 minute ago, Odur32 said:

I've had this email for the better part of 14 years. It's mostly just for spam but I still keep a few things going there that aren't.

If you've had the account for 14 years it has definitely been compromised at least once.

In September 2016, Yahoo revealed a hack that compromised 500 million user accounts. In December, the company revealed yet another hack, this time affecting a record 1 billion accounts. On Tuesday, Yahoo updated that number to all 3 billion accounts its services.

The hack exposed names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, encrypted passwords and unencrypted security questions.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-out-if-your-yahoo-account-was-hacked/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I have so many niche accounts attached to my yahoo email. It's going to be a pain to change every single one. That alone is why I continue to use it.

Same here.

Microsoft does the same thing with Outlook.

This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you, and providing anonymized and/or aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends.

So, that says shared data may or may not be anonymous.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I see alternatives to be TorGuard, HushMail (Paid) and Runbox (Scandavian Country with laws)

What about using a domain/hosting company?

Maybe its time to setup me own mini server.

The amount of shit yahoo has hanging over their heads and they do this. Are they trying to dig their hole deeper? 

Never use yahoo. 

1 hour ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I have so many niche accounts attached to my yahoo email. It's going to be a pain to change every single one. That alone is why I continue to use it.

1 hour ago, Odur32 said:

Same here.

Just set up the email account(s) to forward to another email service. I recently decided to get a protonmail account and set up my previous gmail account forward all messages it recieves to my protonmail. It was pretty easy with gmail. Just google how to set this up with yahoo.

This way the only data that can be compromised is accounts I deemed not worthwhile to switch email services. It'll protect more sensitive info and anything else you register your email with from now on.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

19 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Just set up the email account(s) to forward to another email service. I recently decided to get a protonmail account and set up my previous gmail account forward all messages it recieves to my protonmail. It was pretty easy with gmail. Just google how to set this up with yahoo.

This way the only data that can be compromised is accounts I deemed not worthwhile to switch email services. It'll protect more sensitive info and anything else you register your email with from now on.

Wouldn't you still need a open Yahoo email account to get the emails forwarded?

How the hell is Yahoo still in business?  Billions if their accounts have been hacked, their search engine & news station both suck, and now they pull this crap.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Just now, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Wouldn't you still need a open Yahoo email account to get the emails forwarded?

Yes, but like I said, doing this will secure services you sign up for from now on. For services that exchange sensitive material you can change the email associated with the website/service from yahoo to a new email address. The less important services that aren't even worth the time to internally update your email address can remain unsecure with your yahoo account.

Here are the steps:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=how+to+forward+yahoo+email+to+new+account&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 

7 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

How the hell is Yahoo still in business?  Billions if their accounts have been hacked, their search engine & news station both suck, and now they pull this crap.

"This crap" might be one of Yahoo's biggest sources of revenue. It could be what keeps them profitable. Data mining + selling probably makes sense for them financially in spite of screwing their users because they might not have many other places to turn to to make money.

Hence, avoid yahoo and tell everyone you know to avoid Yahoo (but you probably already know that).

Edited by ATFink

5 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Yahoo mail was bought by Verizon.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

YaWhoo?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I see alternatives to be TorGuard, HushMail (Paid) and Runbox (Scandavian Country with laws)

What about using a domain/hosting company?

Maybe its time to setup me own mini server.

Check out ProtonMail.  Its what I switched to from Gmail.  Incredibly seamless and they have Android and iOS apps that work incredibly well.  The free account has 500MB of storage and there are options for paid accounts with more storage and features.

I'm strongly considering getting my own domain for my email. Any suggestions on who to use, besides GoDaddy (or would GoDaddy be best)?

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I'm strongly considering getting my own domain for my email. Any suggestions on who to use, besides GoDaddy (or would GoDaddy be best)?

I am in the same boat!