Can you configure a positive airflow with varying fan’s RPM?

Itsmeagainhk

Hi all, 

I’m New to this committee! 

Below is my system hardware:

Case: Factual design Meshify C

Cpu: 7700k

Cpu cooler: Cooler master hyper 212

Mobo: Gigabyte Z270 HD3P

Ram: 2x 8gb ddr4 Gskill

Gpu: Galax 1070ti

Psu: Seasonic 750w gold

Due to the heat spike issues of the 7700k, I have decided not to overclock the cpu. I have set the cpu cooler to run at 1000rpm constant.

My case fans config is as follows:

2x 120 intake fans in the front

1x 120 exhaust fan at the back

1x 120 exhaust fan at the top towards the back

My question is that should I consider the Psu fan as an exhaust as well? How do you recommend setting a constant rpm for the case fans if I would like to run it as constant speed while maintaining a positive air flow? 

Current it is set to the following:

Front 2 fans intake at 1100rpm

Back and top exhaust at 800rpm

So give me your inputs :)

MESHIFY C.jpg

Having a top exhaust is actually hurting more than helping. Gamers Nexus has done tons of testing and show that having fans up top generally is not advised. If you want, put it as intake the furthest forward you can or remove it all together. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

50 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Having a top exhaust is actually hurting more than helping. Gamers Nexus has done tons of testing and show that having fans up top generally is not advised. If you want, put it as intake the furthest forward you can or remove it all together. 

Do you mean like this config ?

MESH.jpg

1 minute ago, Itsmeagainhk said:

Do you mean like this config ?

Yes.

What's your core voltage set to and what temps are you getting?

The psu is isolated from the system airflow if the fan is facing downwards. If it's facing upwards, it's an exhaust and might not get sufficient airflow due to the psu shroud.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes.

What's your core voltage set to and what temps are you getting?

The psu is isolated from the system airflow if the fan is facing downwards. If it's facing upwards, it's an exhaust and might not get sufficient airflow due to the psu shroud.

Hmmm. I believe the Core voltage is set to default stock settings.

I live near the equator, running PUBG brings up the CPU temp to about 68 - 74 degrees c, and gpu to about 68 - 75 degrees c. Varies because at night, i would switch on the aircon. 

My PSU should has its fan facing downwards. 

Am thinking if i should move the back top exhaust fan to front top intake, leaving it will only 1 exhaust at the back ...

front mounted rad with 2 intakes ~600 RPM each, single top exhaust ~650 RPM

don't put an intake at the top, I mean who does that? it doesn't make any sense, oh and the PSU is not an exhaust, it's actually an intake, that's why the case manufacturers switched from top mounted PSUs to bottom, because with the old config that fan would suck hot air coming from the rest of hardware thus overheating the PSU.

your cpu temps are ok, you're under 80 and that's good

with your current config here

MESHIFY C.jpg

I'd just remove the top fan and keep the rest, try to reduce the front fans speed to match the rear one

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, Itsmeagainhk said:

Hmmm. I believe the Core voltage is set to default stock settings.

I live near the equator, running PUBG brings up the CPU temp to about 68 - 74 degrees c, and gpu to about 68 - 75 degrees c. Varies because at night, i would switch on the aircon. 

Am thinking if i should move the back top exhaust fan to front top intake, leaving it will only 1 exhaust at the back ...

The default setting is Auto which often uses more voltage than necessary and can cause higher temps. Try manually setting it to 1.2v and stress testing for stability and temps. If it seems stable, you can slowly lower the voltage to lower temps or try oc'ing.

Your temps are fine. 

Moving the top exhaust forward for intake might help but it probably won't be a big difference over removing it altogether. Try it out and see how it performs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The default setting is Auto which often uses more voltage than necessary and can cause higher temps. Try manually setting it to 1.2v and stress testing for stability and temps. If it seems stable, you can slowly lower the voltage to lower temps or try oc'ing.

Your temps are fine. 

Moving the top exhaust forward for intake might help but it probably won't be a big difference over removing it altogether. Try it out and see how it performs.

Great! I will do just that and compare the temp when the extra fan is in front (3x120mm) or front top. 

Great! I will do just that and compare the temp when the extra fan is in front (3x120mm) or front top. 

I forgot that the Meshify C came with 3x120mm mounts at the front as opposed to 2x. It'll definitely be better to have the 3rd intake at the front as opposed to the top.

Yeah 3x 120mm at the front as intake, and 1x 120mm exhaust at the back. Very rarely do you see any any significantly positive result from putting an extra exhaust at the top; not worth when there's room for it as intake at the front. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

13 minutes ago, Alcam said:

Yeah 3x 120mm at the front as intake, and 1x 120mm exhaust at the back. Very rarely do you see any any significantly positive result from putting an extra exhaust at the top; not worth when there's room for it as intake at the front. 

I suppose i can give this a try later at night :D hopefully, the changes are significant! my first DIY in fact. haha

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I forgot that the Meshify C came with 3x120mm mounts at the front as opposed to 2x. It'll definitely be better to have the 3rd intake at the front as opposed to the top.

The local distributor here sold it with 2 x 120mm! A friend of mine passed me his extra case fan as it did not need it and i bought a cooler master one. Therefore i have 4 fans all together. 

The local distributor here sold it with 2 x 120mm!

If you mean included case fans, that's normal. The case comes with 2x included GP-12 X2's. What I'm referring to are the fan mounting options and not the fans themselves.

Dag I have always used top exhaust fans on all my cases though performance has always been good.

26 minutes ago, Matacks said:

Dag I have always used top exhaust fans on all my cases though performance has always been good.

It's not a negative thing, its just that it never really seems to have any real impact on temps, so going out of your way to buy an extra fan to put at the top of your case is almost definitely a waste of money. But of course this depends on your config, in a traditional ATX setup the results are negligible. 

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

Not sure if it’s because it’s night time here cooler now, but it seems like the gpu and cpu temps are less 2 to 3 degrees. Hmmm.

13 hours ago, Alcam said:

By the way, would you recommend a fan curve or a constant rpm? I have currently set it to run at 1000rpm for all the case fans take reference the sensor in between the gpu and cpu.

If using a fan curve, which sensor should I be using ?

6 minutes ago, Itsmeagainhk said:

By the way, would you recommend a fan curve or a constant rpm? I have currently set it to run at 1000rpm for all the case fans take reference the sensor in between the gpu and cpu.

If using a fan curve, which sensor should I be using ?

A fan curve helps if the fans are too noisy at a constant rpm. You can use the cpu temp sensor for the curve. That being said, a static rpm makes sense for consistent cooling if the noise doesn't bother you.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:21 AM, WoodenMarker said:

A fan curve helps if the fans are too noisy at a constant rpm. You can use the cpu temp sensor for the curve. That being said, a static rpm makes sense for consistent cooling if the noise doesn't bother you.

Done! Set up a fan curve to run at constant RPM before raming up after 70 degrees c. 

If i set the vcore to run at 1.25, will it still run at base 4.2Ghz ? Should i expect lower idle temps or will it only be noticeable under load ?

I assume the heat spikes for the 7700K would spike to a lower temperature ? Its spiking from 30 odd degrees to 60 plus now and then.

All in all, i would like to maintain at base 4.2Ghz while reducing CPU temps, if it could be lower at idle, that would be good. 

With the aircon swtiched on @ 1.3 Vcore, the idle temp was 34 degrees c! Thats good because previously it would be at 37/38 degrees c with the top exhaust.  

EDIT: The front 3 fans are running at 1000RPM, 1 exhaust at the back fan running at 1000RPM. CPU cooler running at 1200RPM. Will it be wide to standardise all the RPM including the cpu cooler ?

On 4/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Itsmeagainhk said:

Done! Set up a fan curve to run at constant RPM before raming up after 70 degrees c. 

If i set the vcore to run at 1.25, will it still run at base 4.2Ghz ? Should i expect lower idle temps or will it only be noticeable under load ?

I assume the heat spikes for the 7700K would spike to a lower temperature ? Its spiking from 30 odd degrees to 60 plus now and then.

EDIT: Will it be wide to standardise all the RPM including the cpu cooler ?

Changing the vcore won't change clock speed. What you should be checking for is stability by running stress tests. If the vcore is too low, the system can encounter errors and crashes. If seems stable, you can try incrementally lowering vcore for lower temps. 

Manually setting the vcore will make the biggest difference in load temps since the vcore is generally pretty low at idle when left at Auto. Temp spikes are basically load temps.

Set the rpm to whatever sounds most pleasant to your ears. It's just a balance of acoustics to temps.