gaming server

hello all, I am wanting to build a server that I can use to host games on to play with my friends from across the world. I don't know much about servers and what is required to do this so any insight would be helpful

What game servers?

some are CPU intensive,

some are RAM intensive,

some are based on single-core perf,

some are based on multi-core perf.

25 minutes ago, mikenike said:

hello all, I am wanting to build a server that I can use to host games on to play with my friends from across the world. I don't know much about servers and what is required to do this so any insight would be helpful

what type of games? i host multiple servers for my friends, i have very good internet (which your gonna need) and its being run on a slow 8GB AMD pc, and it works fine.. you dont need a beast server for that stuff, just a decent old pc

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

41 minutes ago, mikenike said:

Budget/Country?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

11 hours ago, mikenike said:

Your best bet when creating a game server is fast CPU, a decent amount of ram, and good drives (speed over capacity.)

Also you have to consider your internet speed. If you have 200 download and 20 upload this is a dead project already. ALL game server need upload speed more than eventually download speed.