Lenovo quietly introduces new affordable ThinkPads with AMD Ryzen Mobile and Up To 9 Hours of Battery Life

AlTech
22 hours ago, descendency said:

45/57 * 14 = 11. That also ignores the fact that the T480 has a 1080p screen vs the 1366x768.

I never stated that was the be-all, end-all of the conversation, just pointing out that the T480 does have a larger battery.  It's important to have all the information when trying to make a comparison between different models.

22 hours ago, descendency said:

That's a substantial difference in CPU efficiency. 

As @Sniperfox47 already pointed out, there are other factors to consider than just the CPU.  It's also possible that the Vega graphics may lead to a higher power draw than the Intel HD graphics.  If so, that may be solvable by future driver updates.

affordable ThinkPads

>> No actual price set, only "predictions"

GG

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Thinkpad think big in this market. 9h battery is too great to believe for a computer. 

Personally for a consumer like me who is looking for a relatively compact, decently long lasting and well performing laptop this looks to be the one for me.

For me, the resolution doesn't matter much. I sit far enough back from my computer to not notice pixels unless I'm really close. I genuinely wish that more companies would put lower resolution panels in smaller laptops, as it seriously isn't noticeable at such a small size. I mean, 1080p is the absolute highest that makes sense on anything up to 14 inches IMO, due to the pixel density being almost the same as a 4k 24 inch display.

As for performance, the 2500U model with the display is perfect for someone like me who wants to do light gaming on the side, as the resolution is perfect for running lighter titles with higher graphical fidelity. 

However I do understand that professional developers will need a higher resolution display for things like Photoshop, Lightroom and Vegas. But this device is not for professionals, its a budget oriented device meant for a consumer who wants something that works.

This device seems to be exactly what I have been looking for for a while, as the price, performance and size are all what I have been looking for. There is not a perfect device that works for everyone, as everyone has different needs and preferences. Seems like the right device for me, but that's not true for everyone else. What do y'all think on the matter?

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

On 4/20/2018 at 9:27 PM, AluminiumTech said:

How? AMD recommends the Ryzen 3 Mobile APUs for devices around $600 USD afaik.

Also, keep in mind that this is a Business Laptop.

Business laptop is a scam concept

36 minutes ago, Ubleron said:

Well except for the stronger chassis, docking station support (not TB or USB but a proper one), proper driver packages for deployment tools like SCCM, bigger battery options, ability to get given a list of mac address before the laptops arrive so you can pre-stage them for deployment and actually having ethernet ports, real ethernet ports not an adapter.

35 minutes ago, Ubleron said:

Ummmmm....what? 

Historically (good/real) business laptops have had much better build quality.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Ubleron said:

You obviously don't work in corporate IT.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, mmonewbie2017 said:

9h battery

If its like any of the claims I usually deal with, you can slash that by 25-33%

Maybe the computer biz is truthful in that regard.

20 hours ago, Canada EH said:

If its like any of the claims I usually deal with, you can slash that by 25-33%

Maybe the computer biz is truthful in that regard.

I’m hoping that there will be an larger battery option like many Thinkpads.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Just now, DrDerp said:

I’m hoping that there will be an larger battery option like many Thinkpads.

Its easy enough to get higher capacity internal batteries for longer life between charges, even easier to get a USB power pack.

Not sure of the stock capacities, but there are 3.5Ah solutions out there if the OEM's havent done any BMS trickery.

Even the Intel KBL-R, no dGPU model has only ~8 hours battery life in NBC web surfing test. Combined with the poor optimizations of Ryzen mobile APUs, 4-6 hours of battery life sounds more realistic to me.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Hmmmm now this is the sort of thing I have been waiting for!! hmmm no pro chips.... Will have to wait for those.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

12 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Hmmmm now this is the sort of thing I have been waiting for!! hmmm no pro chips.... Will have to wait for those.

I seriously wish at least one company would incorporate the R3 Pro in, as it hasn't been used yet, and I am willing to bet the performance in a game or something demanding will still stay close to the R5 due to the 15 watt limit, even with reduced clock speeds and Vega CUs.