Double your RAM – This Method Actually Works!

James
15 minutes ago, James said:

There’s no magic download link to upgrade RAM speed

What about RAM capacity?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, James said:

Oh THAT you can download: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3eWN83psc

Wow, that really helped boost my computer's performance. Thanks.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have a 4GB stick DDR4 Dominator Corsair (from a 16GB kit(4x4GB)), holding dust in my desk because the Corsair require the invoice that I dont have (bought used on ebay) soo I can send back to is lifetime warranty.... -.-"

Question from a bit of a tech newbie. In the video, Linus mentions that part of the RAM bottleneck comes from the slower speed of SSDs compared to RAM. That had me pondering: in theory, if you closed that gap somewhat by purchasing an SSD with a particularly fast read-write speed as part of say a routine upgrade, would that boost the performance of your RAM setup without necessarily requiring more or faster RAM sticks?

Solid advice at the end of the video, ram very rarely fails so don't shy away from second hand ram, just make sure it's compatible with your system and the already installed ram.

One thing I don't agree with though, if you have enough ram, I would not let the virtual memory settings on auto. Virtual memory is so damn slow, with how windows manages it(it keeps the usage split at about 50%ram/50%virtual memory instead of only using the virtual after the normal ram is full), it makes your PC feel incredibly slow and laggy. I found completely disabling your virtual memory/swap/page file/whatever is called.. vastly improves the OS responsiveness. So If you find your system feeling sluggish and have 8GB or more ram I'd highly recommend you set "no paging file" for all drives. Some people claim that some software requires a paging file but I've never had any issues with that. I don't know if there is going to be as much performance improvement for disabling it if you have an SSD but I'd still disable it, no paging file on SSD means much less write cycles on your SSD, which should make it last longer.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

Is voice over really that hard to redo? Linus assumed SSD in the first place (written is fine for lazy fast video making, but voice over?), reality is unless you ensure your computer comes with a SSD or you build it yourself a many PC's still come with HDDs as a primary drive... Just simply saying system drive or OS Drive would have been better.

I guess this is what happens when all you do is SSD builds every time...

Before anyone requires some cheese for their whine about this post, not everyone has a "killer" computer, hell a computer from 5 years ago (you know when SSDs where still fairly pricey for high quantity GB, I think it was about $1.5-$2 per GB for ok quality) with a upgraded GPU can still play modern games. I run on a HDD because my SSD died and I've not bothered to replace the HDD, sure windows 10 is a pain on it, but thats all, nothing else bottlenecks (usually). 

Best buy in canada (the site) claims 88 HDD computers, 55 hybrid(assuming 1 SSD/1 HDD), and just 6 SSD only. Based on past experience of BB's lovely intelligence on how gaming works (xD) you'll be walking out with the cheapest computer assuming it will work with crysis 3 in 4k 60+fps... Just like how Linus assumed SSD in the video at the beginning.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, Crescent Quill said:

Question from a bit of a tech newbie. In the video, Linus mentions that part of the RAM bottleneck comes from the slower speed of SSDs compared to RAM. That had me pondering: in theory, if you closed that gap somewhat by purchasing an SSD with a particularly fast read-write speed as part of say a routine upgrade, would that boost the performance of your RAM setup without necessarily requiring more or faster RAM sticks?

There's a new kind of SSD from Intel called Optane that uses the company's cutting-edge 3D Crosspoint technology.  According to PCPer, theoretically, Optane's latency is ~10x better than other SSDs.  But its theoretical latency is still ~100x worse than system RAM!  

gap-3.png

With that having been said, Intel is supposedly going to release Optane modules that fit into special RAM slots later this year.  (For enterprise applications that prioritize capacity over speed.)  

Thanks for screwing everyone who was bidding on ram this month linus..... i mean really...thanks.

6 hours ago, Progressor said:

Solid advice at the end of the video, ram very rarely fails so don't shy away from second hand ram, just make sure it's compatible with your system and the already installed ram.

One thing I don't agree with though, if you have enough ram, I would not let the virtual memory settings on auto. Virtual memory is so damn slow, with how windows manages it(it keeps the usage split at about 50%ram/50%virtual memory instead of only using the virtual after the normal ram is full), it makes your PC feel incredibly slow and laggy. I found completely disabling your virtual memory/swap/page file/whatever is called.. vastly improves the OS responsiveness. So If you find your system feeling sluggish and have 8GB or more ram I'd highly recommend you set "no paging file" for all drives. Some people claim that some software requires a paging file but I've never had any issues with that. I don't know if there is going to be as much performance improvement for disabling it if you have an SSD but I'd still disable it, no paging file on SSD means much less write cycles on your SSD, which should make it last longer.

Just probably means you don't have enough.  Windows likes to keep a certain amount free to cache.  If windows waited until you ran out before paging that would really drag performance down if you ran out.  And write cycles on ssds from page files is pretty trivial.  I let windows manage page file across 4 ssds, but it seems to favor them in order rather than latency because there isn't likely to be much of a difference, so I limited the size on the first 3 to force windows to use them all evenly.

• 1 year later...

I have a HP bs0xx and it has 4gb ram  500 gb of memory and an intel celeron 3060.can someone tell me if i can change graphics card/ram?