Can I5-650 or FX4300 do FREENAS 1080p Plex?

I'm downsizing my 5x8TB drive down to a 3x8TB Raid5 array so now I can use one of my older MBs with 4xSATA.

I just wanna know if both or just 1 of i5-650 or the FX4300 are capable of doing FreeNAS and Plex @1080p perfectly.

Yes, but only one or two encode streams at a time. (on the FX 4300 that is.)

Take a look at Emby if you want a good alternative to Plex.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Their site suggests even a Core 2 Duo should be fine. Just be sure you have enough RAM, minimum 8 with 16GB a more comfortable target.

CPU power is mainly needed when transcoding, which “When used locally, Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Player almost never requires transcoding”, as it just sends the video in full size over your home network.

2 minutes ago, Ja50n said:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Their site suggests even a Core 2 Duo should be fine. Just be sure you have enough RAM, minimum 8 with 16GB a more comfortable target.

Hmm good stuff. Disregarding the 1080p portion. On the guide it says 10Mb/s stream supported for a 2000 passmark CPU. 

Well, I usually encode my 720p videos at 0.72-1.2Mb/s and my 1080p videos at 2Mb/s. Does that mean that if the CPU is 2000 passmark, I can watch 5x2Mb/s streams? Or does it not work that way.

While the statement below the passmark scores say to do 1080p x # of users @10Mb/s so 40Mb/s for 8000 passmark. There's also the statement of 720p 4Mb/s for 1500 passmark.

I don't know the specifics but I've done it on an 8 core vishera chip and it was fine, even at around 3-4 users at once so I imagine a 4 core would be just as well but with fewer streams.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

11 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Hmm good stuff. Disregarding the 1080p portion. On the guide it says 10Mb/s stream supported for a 2000 passmark CPU. 

Well, I usually encode my 720p videos at 0.72-1.2Mb/s and my 1080p videos at 2Mb/s. Does that mean that if the CPU is 2000 passmark, I can watch 5x2Mb/s streams? Or does it not work that way.

While the statement below the passmark scores say to do 1080p x # of users @10Mb/s so 40Mb/s for 8000 passmark. There's also the statement of 720p 4Mb/s for 1500 passmark.

That's confusing to me, I'm not sure how it would work, with lowering quality to get more streams... I just always do the highest quality on a single stream and my i3-4130 has never had any trouble with it.