set up a SSD and a HDD as master/slave

Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

Dun Dun DUUUN !!!!

Have no fear, HIM is here.

There will be an option in the BIOS to select the primary boot device, but usually the BIOS will detect that there's no OS installed on the HDD and will automatically go to the SSD.

Hello,

in a few weeks i might buy a 1TB HDD for my pc which im just gonna use for data. for my OS and other stuff i'm currently using a Kingston UV400 120GB SSD. but how can i set up a SSD as master and a HDD as slave? i think i have to do this somewhere at the BIOS menu, but i'm not sure

You just have to make sure you install windows on the ssd. To make sure you can unplug the hdd while you install windows. It will automatically be configured when you get to the desktop. Sometimes the drive won't be formatted so you'll need to go to disk management (win + x → disk management) right click drive and format

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40
Storage: Boot Drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Other Storage: Mass Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 5400 RPM, Scratch Disk: Intel X25-E SSDSA2SH032G1 32GB SATA II SSD, Backup Drive: Seagate ST3160318AS 160GB HDD
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum S 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
Monitors: Primary: Samsung S34E790C 34" 3440*1440 60 Hz UWQHD; Secondary: LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560*1080 75 Hz UWFHD; Tertiary: BenQ GL2460 24" 1920*1080 60 Hz FHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mk. 2 RGB Gaming Keyboard - Black

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Gaming Mouse - Black, Logitech MX Master 3

Headphones: Corsair VOID PRO Surround Cherry 7.1ch

Speakers: Logitech Z213 7W 2.1ch

Laptop:

Asus Zenbook Pro 15 (UX535Li-E2018T) with Intel Core i7-10750-H 12MB @ 2.60GHz (Turbo @ 5.0 GHz), 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2933 MHz SODIMM and Intel(R) UHD Graphics; NVidia Geforce GTX 1650-Ti with Max-Q Design, using WDC NVMe PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1102, on a 96-Wh battery

NAS Specs:

Make & Model: QNAP TS-1277

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @Stock

Hard Drives: x8 WD Red 2TB

SSDs (2.5"): x1 Samsung 850 Evo 250GB V-NAND (cache drive)

M.2 SSDs: None

RAID Configuration: RAID 6 (excluding SSD)

Total Storage: 12TB

Expansion Cards: None

1 minute ago, Hugs12343 said:

You just have to make sure you install windows on the ssd.

i have Windows 10 on the SSD. so when i eventually plug in the HDD (when my Pc is off, of course) will the HDD automatically be set as a slave?

Yes, this process is very painless today, install on 1 drive, plug in other drives and they are functional and good to go after you go into disk management and create new volume and all that.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It's done automatically, simply plug it in and format it in windows and your good to go.

Thankfully times have improved the process of drive installation.  It's not like the old days of IDE drives where the master drive was connected to the slot on the end of the cable and the slave was connected to the slot in the middle of the cable.  And no longer is there a jumper on the business end of the drive where the user had to indicate whether the drive was master or slave.  Install your operating system with only the SSD installed and connected.  Then after that process is complete, then you can go ahead and connect your other drive(s).

Dun Dun DUUUN !!!!

Have no fear, HIM is here.

There will be an option in the BIOS to select the primary boot device, but usually the BIOS will detect that there's no OS installed on the HDD and will automatically go to the SSD.

You're clearly used AOL to load the forum, because this is a question from 2002.  Setting slave and master isn't a step in modern computers.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440