Which headphone amplifier should I consider?

Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
7 hours ago, MarkVintel2 said:

After thorough consideration, I have decided to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms).

Awesome. I've owned the 80ohm model for almost a decade at this point. They are phenomenal headphones and a great example of why people become audiophiles.

I also need to purchase a headphone amplifier.

No you don't. They sound perfect on modern desktop computer motherboards and smartphones.

If really believe you want an amplifier, then get the $9 Apple USB-C dongle in USA, or get the Abigail CX31993 if you're not in USA.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803104278383.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

and obviously buy a USB-C to USB-A adapter if your computer does not have a USB-C port.

After thorough consideration, I have decided to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms).

I also need to purchase a headphone amplifier. Which amp should I go for?

• FiiO K1
  • Alctron HA4 Plus
  • Behringer MA 400 MICROMON
  • Behringer HA 400 MICROAMP
  • On-Stage HA4000
  • Mackie HM-4
  • Donner EC1239 DEL-4

My current go-to options are the FiiO K1 and the Behringer MA 400 MICROMON.

What do you think?

44 minutes ago, MarkVintel2 said:

I also need to purchase a headphone amplifier. Which amp should I go for?

• FiiO K1
  • Alctron HA4 Plus
  • Behringer MA 400 MICROMON
  • Behringer HA 400 MICROAMP
  • On-Stage HA4000
  • Mackie HM-4
  • Donner EC1239 DEL-4

My current go-to options are the FiiO K1 and the Behringer MA 400 MICROMON.

What do you think?

What is the budget?

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

What is the budget?

Well these vary from $30 to $50 in my country.

Awesome. I've owned the 80ohm model for almost a decade at this point. They are phenomenal headphones and a great example of why people become audiophiles.

I also need to purchase a headphone amplifier.

No you don't. They sound perfect on modern desktop computer motherboards and smartphones.

If really believe you want an amplifier, then get the $9 Apple USB-C dongle in USA, or get the Abigail CX31993 if you're not in USA.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803104278383.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

and obviously buy a USB-C to USB-A adapter if your computer does not have a USB-C port.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

25 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Awesome. I've owned the 80ohm model for almost a decade at this point. They are phenomenal headphones and a great taste of why there are audiophiles.

Those aren't amplifiers though, they are just DACs.

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Something-something about the DAC chips themselves having their own output power capability. Not a scientist.

Like, the EU Apple dongle is hard-coded to be half the power of the US one. And the CX-DAC chips all have different outputs.

I just know the Apple dongle gets a lot louder than my desktop motherboard and that USB-C dongles measure better than DAC/amp boxes that cost 10x-20x more.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 5/20/2024 at 5:30 AM, Blue4130 said:

I mean, at 80Ohms they shouldn't need an amp. It's a waste of money, unless they just want the external volume control on the desk.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

I mean, at 80Ohms they shouldn't need an amp. It's a waste of money, unless they just want the external volume control on the desk.

I agree, my comment was about saintlouisbagel calling the apple dongle an amp, not about needing an amp.

17 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I agree, my comment was about saintlouisbagel calling the apple dongle an amp, not about needing an amp.

USA Apple dongle outputs enough power for all of Hifiman's lower end planar magnetic headphones lol, the USA apple/ Abigail CX1993 dongles are DAC/AMP combos and 1vrms output is enough for most headphones out there, once you get into low sensitivity planars then yeah the humble apple dongle isn't powerful enough, but in todays market there's no reason NOT to use the apple dongle, i know DAC's and amps have a lot of placebo surrounding them but even crinacle recommends most people use an apple dongle dac, same for most audio discords and beginner friendly forums. If you're using some Audeze LCD5's or Hifiman Susvara's then yeah a $9 dongle ain't enough, but that's so wildly far outside the use case of 99.9% of wired headphone users that it's closer to misinformation than fact. 

For OP's needs an apple dongle is just good enough, Beyerdynamic DT770's hover around 96db/mw sensitivity, below 95db/mw is where you absolutely need a decently powerful amplifier. Because OP isn't getting the 250ohm DT770's the Apple dongle should just be good enough to get up to high volumes (hey OP if you're reading this and you aren't in the USA get an Abigail CX1993, non-US apple dongle is power limited and won't be powerful enough)