Tech leaders join gun control push after YouTube shooting

Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this civil and non-political.

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Mhmm, stuff like this should just be banished from the forums, normally ends up as a shit show. 

Still waiting for "He who casts the first insult"

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

And cars, they just started running people over over there because they can't shoot them.

Youll never hear about that mainstream though, remember, it's the guns that are problem, not the people. 

After AZ, even the Cars themselves at the problem.

We already live in a Dystopian Future, only thing next is to wait for Skynet.

2 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

And cars, they just started running people over over there because they can't shoot them.

Youll never hear about that mainstream though, remember, it's the guns that are problem, not the people. 

Yeah. Remember that time when an "assault rifle" went on a rampage and shot up a bunch of people?

(For those that can't tell, this is heavy sarcasm. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I think it's called StarLink

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In the United States the murder rate is 4.88 per 100 000 citzens where as in the United Kingdom the murder rate is 0.92 per 100 000 citizens. 

see:

London vs New York City

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TheKDub said:

I think it's called StarLink

I think the weirdest part about living in the 2010s will be that it actually really did become the Dyspotian, Cyberpunk future, minus the Augments. (Yet.) I just really expected the food would be worse. I guess we ended up in "Dystopia & Chill".

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Yeah. Remember that time when an "assault rifle" went on a rampage and shot up a bunch of people?

(For those that can't tell, this is heavy sarcasm. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.)

Humanity is the problem.

If we want there to be no crime then we have to sacrifice our humanity as a whole and just live completely controlled lives.

41 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Right, people have been killed with guns, ban them. People have been killed with knives, ban them besides dull butterknives, til a loudmouth hurts themselves on it anyway and those are gone. People have been killed with cars, ban them. The heart of the issue is people kill people and everyone is too busy throwing their money away to shout what they think the problem is instead of using said money to try to fix the main problem. But that'll never be fixed now that everyone has decided God has to be taken out of everything. 

39 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Yeah, my dad's Armalite rifl----- er, assault rifle is full semi auto. I think it was made just recently for killing people on a battlefield, most certainly not a sportsman rifle. Certainly the most dangerous weapon you can buy legally and waaay more dangerous than say, a semi auto shotgun, a .308 semi auto rifle, hell, anything that fires something bigger than a 556

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/02/27/ar-15s-up-close-tuchman-dn

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

17 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

SEE

London vs New York City

But New York's murder rare is LOWER than the American national average at 3.4 per 100 000.  It seems to be a weird city to draw comparisons to.  There is a LONG list of US cities with larger murder rates.  Like, literally there's more than 30 US cities with higher rates.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does that mean there aren't any deaths, or is this still to be determined?

one person is in critical condition and may pass away sadly, but everyone else should live is what I heard 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

6 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

Yeah, my dad's Armaelite rifl----- er, assault rifle is full semi auto. I think it was made just recently for killing people on a battlefield, most certainly not a sportsman rifle. Certainly the most dangerous weapon you can buy legally and waaay more dangerous than say, a semi auto shotgun, a .308 semi auto rifle, hell, anything that fires something bigger than a 556

what the hell do you mean by full semi auto, its semi or it isn't

and of course the weapons are made to kill people, we aren't a very peaceful after all and you never know when some one will blow your front door and try to kill you especially now that real conversation all around the globe is real low and tensions are building up 

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

what the hell do you mean by full semi auto, its semi or it isn't

and of course the weapons are made to kill people, we aren't a very peaceful after all and you never know when some one will blow your front door and try to kill you especially now that real conversation all around the globe is real low and tensions are building up 

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not... 

I was making fun of this: because obviously they have 0 idea what they're talking about

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/02/27/ar-15s-up-close-tuchman-dn

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

17 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

But New York's murder rare is LOWER than the American national average at 3.4 per 100 000.  It seems to be a weird city to draw comparisons to.  There is a LONG list of US cities with larger murder rates.  Like, literally there's more than 30 US cities with higher rates.

I'm comparing it because gun laws are extremely strict in the UK, while London and New York City's populations are very, very close.

There are ~20,000 cities in America, New York City is 50th out of 20,000.

List of US cities safer than New York City ~ 19,500

List of US cities less safe than New York City ~ 49

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm comparing it because gun laws are extremely strict in the UK, while London and New York City's populations are very, very close.

There are ~20,000 cities in America, New York City is 50th out of 20,000.

Ah, I found the answer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43628494

It's because it's bullshit.  The stat depends on focusing on a VERY narrow window of time, a single month.  In actuality, over all of 2017, London's murder rate is MUCH lower.  1.2 per 100 000 vs 3.4 per 100 000 in New York City.

I don't see it going anywhere personally. You've already got so many guns out in the wild that you've reached the point where laws won't be that effective. I mean, sure, you could start them now, and maybe we'd see thinning gun violence in 15 or 20 years. Still helpful, but it's not the immediate change most people are going to want.

I see a huge issue with the types of guns that they're allowed to buy. A vast number of the firearms available in the US simply don't need to be in civilian hands. Sure, they're neat to own. A tank, or an Apache would be neat to own as well. Doesn't mean you should.

Yes, gun control needs to be addressed. But there's such a long road before you can start.

For example, letting the CDC do any kind of gun studies. The fact they can't just shows how much of a stranglehold the NRA has on US politics.

This video sums it up pretty nicely:

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Between Youtube demonetization "algorithms" and the crazy Persian lady? I'd blame the gun

Because she could have used an IED instead.

That certainly sounds racist.

55 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I hear stabbings are pretty hot though.

37,443 knife offenses and 6,694 gun offenses from Jan to Sept 2017 (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5251268/london-stabbing-knife-crime-rise-statistics-uk-deaths/)

I'd love to see what the stats are for Chicago xD

55 minutes ago, xriqn said:

Yeah people prefer knives and acid in our country.

Acid terrifies me. A lot more than a knife.

45 minutes ago, xriqn said:

They should do the same as the UK imo: annual checks from the police to ensure you're storing the guns properly, eg one gun locker in the attic with your gun in it, securely locked and one ammo locker in your basement, safely locked away. They also check your mental health status before you're even allowed a gun.

Good in theory, fails in practice. The US has enough trouble in a lot of cities dealing with calls, let alone doing checks like this. You have to remember that there are multitudes fewer firearms in the UK than there are in the US.

Your example also makes no sense in terms of self defense.

33 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I get what you're saying, but surely you can't dismiss the fact that if the assault rifle wasn't available to begin with, chances are there'd have been much less of a rampage, or the individual might not have bothered at all.

32 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

SEE

London vs New York City

She was comparing country to country, which makes a lot more sense than comparing city to city.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

53 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Mhmm, stuff like this should just be banished from the forums, normally ends up as a shit show. 

Meh, i'd rather it be kept in general discussion or off-topic. These topics that don't have much affiliation to tech usually end up in a contest of pro-gun vs anti-gun with some crime statistics thrown in.

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ah, I found the answer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43628494

It's because it's bullshit.  The stat depends on focusing on a VERY narrow window of time, a single month.  In actuality, over all of 2017, London's murder rate is MUCH lower.  1.2 per 100 000 vs 3.4 per 100 000 in New York City.

No, the original stat is quarter 1 2018

London’s Metropolitan Police launched 46 murder inquiries in the first three months of 2018 – including 15 in February and 22 in March.

That is roughly double the number seen in the first quarter of last year and, in the latter two months, more than in New York, a city of comparable size.

It is the first time in modern history that London’s homicide rate, which has grown nearly 40 per cent in three years, has been higher than New York’s.

The point of me using this comparison is to point out that stricter gun laws don't unconditionally equate to less murder.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

London’s Metropolitan Police launched 46 murder inquiries in the first three months of 2018 – including 15 in February and 22 in March.

That is roughly double the number seen in the first quarter of last year and, in the latter two months, more than in New York, a city of comparable size.

It is the first time in modern history that London’s homicide rate, which has grown nearly 40 per cent in three years, has been higher than New York’s.

The point of me using this comparison is to point out that stricter gun laws don't unconditionally equate to less murder.

Why is london's crime rate getting brought up in a thread that's solely based on a US issue? Oh wait, I forgot this kind of thread would get derailed :P 

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

She was comparing country to country, which makes a lot more sense than comparing city to city.

Not when the cities have nearly identical largel populations, it's more apples to apples.

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm sorry, do you think that focusing on a SLIGHTLY less narrow window of time somehow negates that London's murder rate is actually much lower?  That this point you are throwing reason out the window for the sake of trying to maintain a flawed arguement.  The 2017 numbers are pretty clear 1.2 vs 3.4 and you can't imagine that away.

If you're not willing to look at overall trends then any trends are meaningless.  You might as well look for the one day that that there were no reported murder's in New York and declare 'New York City Officially Murder Free'.

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Why is london's crime rate getting brought up in a thread that's solely based on a US issue? Oh wait, I forgot this kind of thread would get derailed :P 

Because it's not getting derailed. The thread is about proposing gun laws because of homicide rates. Comparing two cities with similar populations, one with a strict gun law, nothing changes. 

People are the problem, people improvise weapons if guns aren't available. It makes no difference

1 minute ago, Ginger_ said:

Because it's not getting derailed. The thread is about proposing gun laws because of homicide rates. Comparing two cities with similar populations, one with a strict gun law, nothing changes. 

And to be clear, ONE OF THOSE CITIES HAS A SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER MURDER RATE, DESPITE CLAIMS TO THE CONTRARY.

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I mean the topic is really tech companies hopping on the gun control wagon. What other comparison do I have than a nearly identical city in a place with very strict gun control?

1 hour ago, xriqn said:

She went missing when I was 5. That's why you haven't heard of it, it was 11 years ago. Cops are still out there trying to find her. Conspiracy theorists keep saying that her parents killed her or some shit.

Don't think her parents killed her. I think her parents got away with what should almost definitely be a criminal offence and have made millions off the loss of their own daughter which is their fault! But hey, that's just my two cents.