what happened to Luke ?

mitchell2380
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
25 minutes ago, JDE said:

Basically it's a way to support them (and anyone that joins the platform) for $3 a month, and you get all their videos (except launch day reviews, etc) 1 week early.

Not to mention ad-free

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yes, you do lose.

The so called excuse of "Early access" is nothing more than hiding the content you were going to release behind a paywall. Content which was going to be released for free for everyone on YouTube anyway. The only difference is the lack of 3$ per month from your pocket.

You're not actually getting things earlier, you're getting the exact same videos which were going to be released for everyone for free, it's just that you payed 3$ for it.

But "Early Access" Am I right??? xD

Did you just argue against yourself?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yes, you do lose.

The so called excuse of "Early access" is nothing more than hiding the content you were going to release behind a paywall. Content which was going to be released for free for everyone on YouTube anyway. The only difference is the lack of 3$ per month from your pocket.

You're not actually getting things earlier, you're getting the exact same videos which were going to be released for everyone for free, it's just that you payed 3$ for it.

there is some exclusive content on floatplane. i signed up to watch a server update vlog and learn about other things in the building and i have loved it ever since.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Yes, you do lose.

you get to support the creators whose videos you like to watch.

because in the end free GPU's dont pay for their (or their families') food. the model doesnt change a damn thing for those who dont pay, but it gives those who want to support the channel a bit of a sneak preview. besides, floatplane's not only about the week early, but they aim for better video quality (higher bitrates) and a less toxic comment section than youtube (from what i caught about the general ideas)

and if you're one of those "they're swimming in money, they should just do it for free" folks.. go try run a business, any business.

• 3 years later...
On 4/4/2018 at 9:41 AM, Catsrules said:

he "quit" LMG and is now running FloatPlane. Mostly for legal and paper work reasons, as they are trying to separate the two companies.  But he still works in the LMG building. That a part is rented out to FloatPlane.

Old forum post and sorry to hop on it so late, but what legalities are they trying to get around by separating the two? I don't know much about commercial law (especially Canadian commercial law) so what would be the issue there?

On 4/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, hotmojoe said:

Old forum post and sorry to hop on it so late, but what legalities are they trying to get around by separating the two? I don't know much about commercial law (especially Canadian commercial law) so what would be the issue there?

That I don't know. What I posted was just a paraphrase of what I remember Linus saying in a video at one point.  And he really didn't go into much detail.

My guess is to just make it clear that LMG and Floatplane are separate. Like maybe you could run into conflict of interest issues if Floatplane and LMG were the same company but that is a total guess on my part. Or if Floatplane ran into legal issues it wouldn't affect LMG and vise versa.

On 4/4/2018 at 9:33 PM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

you're getting the exact same videos

You also get some exclusive videos like interviews with some LMG staff, additional office tours, longer director's cuts, etc.

And a bit better quality compared to YT.

And no spam/flood in the comments.

And no ads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 1:31 PM, Catsrules said:

That I don't know. What I posted was just a paraphrase of what I remember Linus saying in a video at one point.  And he really didn't go into much detail.

My guess is to just make it clear that LMG and Floatplane are separate. Like maybe you could run into conflict of interest issues if Floatplane and LMG were the same company but that is a total guess on my part. Or if Floatplane ran into legal issues it wouldn't affect LMG and vise versa.

Yeah I guess I could see that since Floatplane carries other creators on the platform. I guess they just want to make sure that if a creator or somebody who is using the site gets mad over some bias toward LTT in some way it'd be easier for Linus to defend since they're separate entities. Total speculation but that's one reason I could pull from the top of my head