Would multiple DVD drives help in ripping DVDs faster.

Maximoose

I want to rip my DVD collection to an external hard drive and I don't want it to take forever. I have 2 old computers with DVD drives and 2 external DVD drives, and one computer has an open drive bay and a SATA connector for it. Would having multiple drives to rip multiple DVDs at once make it go faster? Do you think the DVD drive the bottleneck or is it the CPU (transcoding) or the speed of the external HDD?

-Thanks

P.S. I'm not sure if this should go inside this topic or not.

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

I doubt you would hit a CPU bottleneck, but perhaps it might be eaiser and faster to rip them to your main drive, then move the files over. 

In short, yes, but you might hit a bottleneck on the drive. External drives are not known for their speeds. However, Disc Drives are slow. 

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

It's optical drives, it would take a lot of them to saturate the external drive's limit, whether that limit is SATA or USB.

Just now, limegorilla said:

I doubt you would hit a CPU bottleneck, but perhaps it might be eaiser and faster to rip them to your main drive, then move the files over. 

In short, yes, but you might hit a bottleneck on the drive. External drives are not known for their speeds. However, Disc Drives are slow. 

Thanks!

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

if you are copying without transcoding.. CPU shouldnt be a problem.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

1 hour ago, Maximoose said:

Do you think the DVD drive the bottleneck or is it the CPU (transcoding) or the speed of the external HDD?

If you are transcoding the DVDs, the CPU would be the bottleneck, yes.

Transcoding the a DVD to something like an mp4 means your CPU is going to be the bottleneck. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)