Good 600w psu?

Hi all.

So im upgrading my pc soon, i will be getting an i5 8600k, and a GTX 1080, inside the Meshify C TG.

What 600w power supply would you recommend?
Thanks!

That will draw like 300W, there's no need for a 600W unit. Get a 450-550W Straight Power 11, RMx, Whisper M, Focus Plus Gold, TXM, Focus Gold, G2 or G3. 

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That will draw like 300W, there's no need for a 600W unit. Get a 450-550W Straight Power 11, RMx, Whisper M, Focus Plus Gold, TXM, Focus Gold, G2 or G3. 

Don't forget about the CX550M, that's a pretty good unit.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, MrBurpAlot. said:

Hi all.

So im upgrading my pc soon, i will be getting an i5 8600k, and a GTX 1080, inside the Meshify C TG.

Thanks!

Why do you need 600W? That system will draw about 300W.

A Corsair RM550x or TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G3/GQ/G2, Bitfenix Whisper/Formula, and many other options are fine for your system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ok thanks :)
Im probably going with Corsair TX550M.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Don't forget about the CX550M, that's a pretty good unit.

Yeah, but I feel that with an 8600K/1080 system, he can afford a nicer unit. 

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Yeah, but I feel that with an 8600K/1080 system, he can afford a nicer unit. 

Right.  Why put a Hyundai motor in a Lamborghini.  ;)

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  Why put a Hyundai motor in a Lamborghini.  ;)

Lol

Just now, SACBALLZ said:

seasonic anything

Seasonic is just as capable of selling crap as any other brand. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Seasonic is just as capable of selling crap as any other brand. 

seasonic has a better track record than pretty much any other brand. i still stand by my recommendation.

Just now, SACBALLZ said:

seasonic has a better track record than pretty much any other brand. i still stand by my recommendation.

Seasonic doesn't stand out among the other brands. So you'll recommend the S12 II, M12 II, and Eco over actually decent PSUs? If you recommend by brand, you show that you don't really have much (if any) knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Seasonic doesn't stand out among the other brands. So you'll recommend the S12 II, M12 II, and Eco over actually decent PSUs? If you recommend by brand, you show that you don't really have much (if any) knowledge. 

all I'm saying is that Seasonic is probably a pretty safe bet. they accurately rate and advertise their products, and offer a much longer warranty than most. 12 years in some cases. If you are insinuating that I would recommend a tier 4 seasonic over a tier 3 from another brand then you are making a disingenuous assumption. I would recommend a Focus Plus Gold over just about anything, unless of course you are comparing it to a 80 plus platinum or titanium. Either way, if you are comparing a equal tier and similarly priced PSU, i would recommend a seasonic over almost anything else. again, i stand by my recommendation. are you also insinuating that the aforementioned psu's are subpar? a psu should only be evaluated on the spec's the manufacturer claims and the price tag. the power supplies you mentioned are great options when evaluated on those terms.

18 hours ago, MrBurpAlot. said:

Ok thanks :)
Im probably going with Corsair TX550M.

It is a great unit, I have the TX650M myself and I'm very pleased.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

Either way, if you are comparing a equal tier and similarly priced PSU, i would recommend a seasonic over almost anything else.

The M12 II and S12 II cost the same as or more than actually decent PSUs. That's an issue. 

9 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

If you are insinuating that I would recommend a tier 4 seasonic over a tier 3 from another brand then you are making a disingenuous assumption.

If you recommend 

35 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

seasonic anything

and don't specifically recommend anything else, then that's what you are recommending. 

10 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

I would recommend a Focus Plus Gold over just about anything, unless of course you are comparing it to a 80 plus platinum or titanium.

It's not a particularly quiet unit, so things like the RMx, RMi, Whisper M, Straight Power 11 are overall better. The Hong Hua fans in the Seasonic units aren't that good either. The 3 last units even have multiple 12V rails. 

13 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

a psu should only be evaluated on the spec's the manufacturer claims and the price tag. the power supplies you mentioned are great options when evaluated on those terms.

No, they should be evaluated based on actual reviews. 

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No, they should be evaluated based on actual reviews. 

Oh, so reviews like this?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=529

heres your m12 review, also glowing - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=356

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=487

Or do you know some other outlet that does more extensive, more objective testing? 

maybe @jonnyGURU can chime in himself. 

1 minute ago, SACBALLZ said:

Yes. Why did you even say 

22 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

a psu should only be evaluated on the spec's the manufacturer claims and the price tag

?

1 minute ago, SACBALLZ said:

Or do you know some other outlet that does more extensive, more objective testing? 

Well, Jonnyguru (the site) doesn't test the protections, doesn't have fancy transient response testing, doesn't show a breakdown of all the components, and doesn't test for noise or fan RPM. Tomshardware does, and you can find noise levels and fan RPMs for some models on Cybenetics too. 

Jonnyguru is fine for the performance, though. 

19 hours ago, MrBurpAlot. said:

Hi all.

Thanks!

Corsair CX600. Get a used one from a couple years ago, they use good Panasonic capacitors as opposed to the cheaper chinese caps they use now.

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yes. Why did you even say 

48 minutes ago, SACBALLZ said:

Dude stop pretending to be a power supply know-it-all, I can tell from every thread you reply to that it gets on people's nerves. You aren't as smart as you think you are.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

6 minutes ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

Corsair CX600. Get a used one from a couple years ago, they use good Panasonic capacitors as opposed to the cheaper chinese caps they use now.

Yeah, sure, recommend an ancient group regulated PSU instead of the TX550M that he's planning to get. 

7 minutes ago, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

Dude stop pretending to be a power supply know-it-all, I can tell from every thread you reply to that it gets on people's nerves. You aren't as smart as you think you are.

I'm not, but it's fun to mess around with low hanging fruit. Why do you think I even reply to you?

52 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Yeah, sure, recommend an ancient group regulated PSU instead of the TX550M that he's planning to get. 

I'm not, but it's fun to mess around with low hanging fruit. Why do you think I even reply to you?

getting new people riled up is not a good way to make people take you seriously. 

2 hours ago, SACBALLZ said:

seasonic anything

2 hours ago, SACBALLZ said:

Here we go again...

Every week the same discussion about a cartain manufacturer that has some bad and some not so bad PSU in their lineup.

Some of them are rather shitty, don't have much protection and are ancient. 

Some of them are somewhat OK.

And you never ever go by brand.

1 hour ago, SACBALLZ said:

all I'm saying is that Seasonic is probably a pretty safe bet.

Not really.

They also have some rather shitty units in their lineup - for a rather high price

they accurately rate and advertise their products

...as do all somewhat reputable manufacturers like Cougar, be quiet, Corsair, Super Flower, Bitfenix and all other somewhat reputable brands.

That's the norm, not the exception...

and offer a much longer warranty than most. 12 years in some cases. 

Yes and who knows if they are around in 12 Years...

over 12 Years ago, Enermax was a Powerhouse and one of the best and with their own Design and Manufacturing, today not so much.

12 Years ago, PC-Power and Cooling was a great name, today not so much.

12 Years ago Tagan was a reputable, well respected and very successful brand, today not so much.

12 Years ago, there was a small PSU manufacturer named Impervio.

12 Years ago, there was a very good PSU manufacturer, that's today mostly known for their fans -> NMB aka Minebea.

12 Years ago, there was a very well used PSU manufacturer named Topower.

12 Years ago, Super Flower was pretty garbage...

The warranty doesn't mean shit if the brand goes under.

And no one knows if they will be still around in 12 Years.

So every statement about "long Warranty!!11" is just overrated because you can't know if they will be around that long.

If you are insinuating that I would recommend a tier 4 seasonic over a tier 3 from another brand then you are making a disingenuous assumption.

No, because that is exactly what you said.

"Seasonic Anything" also implies the ancient S12II/M12II (620W and below) series from around 2010 as well as other lowest end series, even the ones with 350W and so.

You did not name a specific model, you just recommended a brand -  wich does NOT help anyone at all.

If you recommend something, do it by MODEL, not Brand!

I would recommend a Focus Plus Gold over just about anything,

You would, others don't share that oppionion.

Because some people are very unhappy with the fan Seasonic choose for their PSU.

And you did NOT mention the Focus.

Either way, if you are comparing a equal tier and similarly priced PSU, i would recommend a seasonic over almost anything else. again, i stand by my recommendation.

Because Seasonic can do something with Parts YOU can get on Mouser and Digikey that others can not?!

What are you saying exactly?! 

In PSU Manufacturing everyone has access to the same parts and can make the same PSU with the same electrical thing for about the same price. There is no Magic or secret sauce in this area!!

There are only Standard Jelly Bean Components!

And depending on what you want, there can be better choices than Seasonic as well.

Because their fans aren't that good...

a psu should only be evaluated on the spec's the manufacturer claims and the price tag.

No, a PSU should first be rated by the protection it offers.

Then the fan.

And then the electrical performance inside "normal operation".

If the PSU fails to stay in spec or has a shitty fan, lacks protection, its not wort thinking about. Easy as that.

And the S12II/M12II I mentions fails in all three of those points...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=529

heres your m12 review, also glowing - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=356

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=487

maybe @jonnyGURU can chime in himself. 

Here the other S12II:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185

And here something more recent:

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-520_bronze/?s=all

And what do we see? Well, exept for the Tiny heatsinks...
Seasonic outright lies on the Label and states two +12V Rails where there is none. Not even UVP on +12V -> HY-510N for Protection, Datasheet does not mention UVP.

Voltage regulation goes out of spec when crossloaded and here  a Seasonic (S12II/M12II variant) totally fails:

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/seasonic-energyknight-ss-350et-t3-the-cheapest-seasonic-unit/7/#Conclusion-and-evaluation

And I'd rather take a Pure Power 10, Corsair CX550(m) or even a System Power 9 over any S12II/M12II up to 620W any day...

Because those are way better and the S12II/M12II is comparable to Corsairs VS Series.

Oh and here is another Review of the S12II Basis:
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/5/

The HEC Based Cougar VTX and the Zalman stay in spec in those tests, the S12II variant goes to around 12,9V in one of the Crossload tests...

The S12II based totally fails at Protection Tests. +3,3V switches off at 48A and 1,8V, +5V at 60A or 3,94V.

And OPP with 8,7V on +12V.

Yeah, that's really really good - NOT...

Cougar VTX with around 1150rpm at most.

The S12II goes up to 2000rpm at around 400W load. 

And even on 260W the fan RPM of the S12II variant (XT (zweite Revision)) is higher than the VTX on full...

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because those are way better and the S12II/M12II is comparable to Corsairs VS Series.

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just now, SACBALLZ said:

okay okay i give up

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/5/

Just imagine the Cougar VTX be the Corsair VS and the XFX XT (zweite Revision) be the S12II/M12II.

Because that's pretty close to the truth.

The _ONLY_ Thing the S12II/M12II has going for itself is a fan that probably lasts longer. But in every other way it got beaten by the HEC...

And the ones I mentioned above all have independent voltage regulation for about the Same Price as the S12II.

While the S12II regulates +5V and +12V together, if one is loaded heavily and the other is only lightly loaded, the heavy loaded rail drops, the lightly loaded rail rises. And almost vertainly violates ATX specification in this scenario.

And THAT is why they are not good PSU!