I need some help by programming my own OS

ItzRuben

I need some help by programming my own OS. With hours of messing around with notepad and cmd I can't get my "OS" to work properly. I am 14 and I want to learn how to programm and stuff but I can't solve this problem.

Here's my .bat file:

DOS, CMD OS.bat

im not knowledgeable on it i just wanted to say i have a friend who made an OS for a university project and it took a long time and he never had it bug free, so good luck man.

Do you have any experience with programming already? Because making your own OS is one of the hardest things to do...

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

I'm getting flashbacks to when I was your age and was doing the exact same thing, programming an "OS" using a language like batch, eventually moving on to Scratch for a graphical "OS" and finally SUSE Studio (unfortunately doesn't exist anymore) to make my "own" first real OS.

That aside, I'm not very knowledgeable with batch so I can't help very much, although if you want to get into programming I'd highly suggest you rather learn something like Python or Lua rather than batch, as batch doesn't have many capabilities.

Edit: I took some time examining your code but couldn't find any obvious problems, at what point specifically does it fail?

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

The Linux core is open to all, start by grabbing that and learning how it's done, why it's done and the thought that goes into doing it that way.

If programming an OS was easy, everyone would do it, but there are a ton of open source codes/tools out there to make your life a little easier.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Create a flow chart for what you have created. Then you can see where the program is not doing what you want it to do.

Remember to handle unexpected user input. If not the program will just work it's way down through the file.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

If I’m not mistaken, I think batch is a scripting language for windows computers. 

I also believe most major operating systems are written in assembly, and either C or C++. 

Assembly is used to barebones get hardware to do what you want. C and C++ are for making programming the rest a lot easier. 

I don’t know batch nor do I download files from individuals. Sorry. I’d recommend using a spoiler and code block to have people look at it. 

Someone recommended me an “easier to understand than Linux” kernel but I forget the name. It’s in my thread asking what to learn next. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Someone recommended me an “easier to understand than Linux” kernel but I forget the name. It’s in my thread asking what to learn next. 

MINIX :)

Or https://www.state-machine.com/ (while it may not be an OS in the strictest sense, it provides enough resource management that it's close enough)

First projects should be achievable and relatively throwaway - so writing an OS, programming language, or library are not great first choices. Instead, try to add a single new feature to an open source program you like, write a website, or make a simple game. Try to choose projects with reasonable scope - struggling through many small projects (many of which will be failures) will teach more than one giant project.

If there was something you wanted your OS to do, ask about how that one feature could be achieved instead.

Web Developer and Java contractor

Hello! I’ve got it to work correctly idk what to do with it (-:  But what I found out this isn’t something for me... (I did this project because I wanted to find out if it is something for me). I am doing all kinds of pc repairs and stuff (kinda like LinusTechTips does) but with cheaper stuff. But anyway thank you all for your reply!

Creating your own OS at 14. That sure is something interesting to talk about when interviewing with a college admission officer or employer. I haven’t study as far in my college courses so I can’t help but I wish you the best luck kid. I wished i had been programming when I was your age...

Sudo make me a sandwich 

You can make something dam-near that easily. Use a full-screen window and write it in WPF (C#) or Electron (Node.js).

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

At first I thought this was a troll post but it looks like your script and question is genuine (I hope).  If you want to learn scripting or programming than I would recommend you download visual studio. If you have an educational (school) email you can get the pro version for free at imagine.microsoft.com when you make an account and verify it with a school email. - -- EDIT -- Looks like its free now. I remember a while ago when it was still DreamSpark you could get VS with more features, and the free version was lacking things. Looks like now community edition already has all the good stuff you need. Cool beans...

If programming is not your thing and you dont want to install anything, why not look at windows powershell? Its a much better scripting language than batch (.bat files). and you can use .NET objects in power shell for more stuff. Plus its already built into windows.

23 minutes ago, BeefyMeats said:

At first I thought this was a troll post but it looks like your script and question is genuine (I hope).  If you want to learn scripting or programming than I would recommend you download visual studio. If you have an educational (school) email you can get the pro version for free at imagine.microsoft.com when you make an account and verify it with a school email.

If programming is not your thing and you dont want to install anything, why not look at windows powershell? Its a much better scripting language than batch (.bat files). and you can use .NET objects in power shell for more stuff. Plus its already built into windows.

What features does pro version have? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, BeefyMeats said:

At first I thought this was a troll post but it looks like your script and question is genuine (I hope).  If you want to learn scripting or programming than I would recommend you download visual studio. If you have an educational (school) email you can get the pro version for free at imagine.microsoft.com when you make an account and verify it with a school email.

Is pro even worth it? I am just fine with Community. 
It does everything I need & I don't feel limited by the vast array of tools within. 

A friend of mine did this after 3 years into a computer science degree. All he had while he was making his OS was a blinking LED he didn't even fully trust until he got a framebuffer working 3 or so weeks into the project. At the end of it he had interrupts and a framebuffer working which was presented in a somewhat underwhelming format.

TDLR: how good are you at assembly/C/low level stuff?

I'd recommend you pick easier problems when you're learning how to program. Preferably something you can easily do with a high level language like Python or C#.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:51 PM, fpo said:

Is pro even worth it? I am just fine with Community. 

The main difference between pro and community is the ability to charge money for your software. 

You don't get any advanced features until you move to enterprise, that's where you get things like live unit testing and built in tools for validating architecture, code linting, and other such tasks. You also get some better debugging and deployment tools.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

24 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The main difference between pro and community is the ability to charge money for your software. 

You don't get any advanced features until you move to enterprise, that's where you get things like live unit testing and built in tools for validating architecture, code linting, and other such tasks. You also get some better debugging and deployment tools.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

Wow, that license price seems a little steep...I suppose if you're planning to expense it to a client code its not to bad but for new developers and bootstrapped projects, ouch.

Just now, programmer said:

Wow, that license price seems a little steep...I suppose if you're planning to expense it to a client code its not to bad but for new developers and bootstrapped projects, ouch.

Well, the free version contains everything needed to build nice projects for beginners. Advanced tools can usually be found for free through the addons interface.

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Well, the free version contains everything needed to build nice projects for beginners. Advanced tools can usually be found for free through the addons interface.

Yeah, but if the license makes it infeasible to make money to buy the license so you can make money...do web development instead? (EDIT: Please note that the "do web development instead" is meant to be cheeky, not serious)

2 hours ago, programmer said:

Yeah, but if the license makes it infeasible to make money to buy the license so you can make money...do web development instead?

How about not using Visual studio, ever thought of that?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

@straight_stewie oh, I had no idea they had licensing for selling your software. 

Time to find a new compiler... :( 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Time to find a new compiler... :( 

It's not the compiler. Using Roslyn is free. It's the license to redistribute the .NET FCL that you're paying for. If you write so called "portable" code that doesn't use any part of the FCL, then I don't think you have to pay the license fee. I'm not sure if the System namespace qualifies as part of the protect FCL. If it does you have to move to a completely new implementation (that implementation can still use Roslyn, but currently none do, because Roslyn and the System namespace are tied at the hip).