People who hate notches and rounded corners are just stupid.

avg123
2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Is this another case of my opinion being more valid than yours?

yes and no. rounded corners vs sharp is a design preference 

as for the notch, functionally it is a bad design as it doesn't practically increase usable real estate as I showed above. Media is not designed for that shape. Given the little space on either side to show any information without the middle space accompanying it means the side spaces around it are wasted and they might as well have spread the sensors out over the full width of the bezel making the bezel thinner and more functional while still having a normal screen shape. That is fact. Thinking it's ugly or not is opinion

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

nice b8 m8 r8 8/8

Kinda feels like something you'd see in a status update, but whatever, not a mod. Guess I shouldn't really say whether or not it is...

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well when you call people who disagree with you "stupid"...

this

but yeah, no, notches I think are dumb but just because I think they're stupid doesn't mean that I think people that like them are stupid.

It's kinda something that's subjective as hell because objectivity doesn't matter in this case because it's really a preference.

Frankly, the S8/S8+ and S9/S9+ (basically the same basic design I suppose) have a great design, not having a notch is nice.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

By your logic and a quickly drawn image, screen 1 is better than screen 2

image.png.20f0a32b419079a9f84063bf59e29ccf.png

The problem with your theory is while the volume might be larger, the notch out of the middle is not usable. if watching a movie you'll get extra screen space on either side of the notch, but the space in between will be missing information, therefore it's not helping. The form factor of almost all media content is a rectangle, not a rectangle with two addons at the side, so your USABLE screen size hasn't changed any. 

Only 2.35:1 videos reach the notch. 16:9,16:10, 4:3 dont reach the notch anyways

2 hours ago, avg123 said:

Only 2.35:1 videos reach the notch. 16:9,16:10, 4:3 dont reach the notch anyways

Meaning you are NOT getting extra screen size... meaning it's pointless and a design flaw

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

13 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Meaning you are NOT getting extra screen size... meaning it's pointless and a design flaw

You are getting extra space previously occupied by part of the bezel that did not serve any purpose.

Phones are not just for watching videos. You can display notifications in the extra space. Right now the iPhone notch is a little wide but it will only shrink every generation.

That is apple's end goal. completely remove all bezels.

2 hours ago, avg123 said:

That is apple's end goal. completely remove all bezels.

No it's not, their end goal is world dominance then to resurrect Steve Jobs and have him piss on Bill gates front door.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/30/2018 at 6:52 AM, avg123 said:

because all the phones without notches have perfectly symmetrical top and bottom bezels right? 9_9

Um, actually, quite a few do. All I know is my OP5T has near-symmetrical top/bottom & right/left bezels, so it looks pretty damn good. But thanks for generalizing all users who have an opinion other than your own as being stupid. Not very polite, but I'll stay cool and keep things civil because that's how you have a discussion. :) 

Personally, the idea of the notch isn't stupid to me; it's the implementation in software that makes it completely fail for me. Having more screen space dedicate to notifications makes sense, however, unless a manufacturer implements a way to completely hide the screen area beside the notch by allowing the user to turn that area of the screen completely black, it's simply poor design, much similar to the current smartwatch market having yet to make a smartwatch with an acceptably realistic battery life.

While we don't really know for sure how the OP6 is going to handle the notch, they have alluded to having a compatibility mode that allows users to effectively turn off the notch for apps that haven't yet been optimized. If this works as they intend, then it'll be great because it allows apps not yet optimized for the notch to work properly inside an artificial "frame" of sorts. Apple (and all other device OEM's) needs to smarten up and allow the user to blackout the space beside the notch if desired so that we don't get a notch overhanging videos and games, or creating wasted whitespace when browsing websites, for example.

The reality is that you've got to pick the device that works best for your needs. Embrace the notch if you know all your apps support it, or not if the apps you need to get work done do not support it. My advice for manufacturers will always stay the same either way: do not take choice away from the consumer, forcing them into a product that may not suit their needs, because at the end of the day, sales are what keep your company afloat.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 3/31/2018 at 6:57 PM, huilun02 said:

Invade France and Poland?

right after pissing on Bill gates front door, maybe even setting a bag of dog poo alight on his doorstep too.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.