Covering webcam

Techicolors

with laptops having recessed webcams in the keyboard, to a shutter cover to cover the webcam, it seems that covering webcams is more common than i thought. when i walk about my local school campus, i see tons of people with duct tape over their laptop webcams. even the school-issued laptops have tape over the webcam. and AFAIK, many laptops will enable a bright light to indicate the webcam is on 

so what's up with that? and do you cover your webcam? 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

with laptops having recessed webcams in the keyboard, to a shutter cover to cover the webcam, it seems that covering webcams is more common than i thought. when i walk about my local school campus, i see tons of people with duct tape over their laptop webcams. even the school-issued laptops have tape over the webcam. and AFAIK, many laptops will enable a bright light to indicate the webcam is on 

As my instructor(s) during motorcycle training told me about the neutral light on bikes, "The light is there just to tell you it works. Don't blindly believe the bike is in neutral" And to this day, I don't blindly believe that just because the light is on, the bike is in neutral (It basically makes I let go of the clutch slowly so that I can catch it if the bike really isn't in neutral).

Anyway, most people cover their webcams because there are hackers out there than can tap into the webcam and spy on you through it. There's dozens of examples, both for good (like IDing a criminal that stole a laptop) and for bad (for... well spying), but that's the primary reason.

I don't cover mine, though it has an led indicator that *should* light up when used.

*Note: No clue whether it's firmware based or hardware based (i.e. receives power when the camera receives power, if the former then it can be worked around :()

I probably should cover mine since it isn't overly hard these days to access them.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As my instructor(s) during motorcycle training told me about the neutral light on bikes, "The light is there just to tell you it works. Don't blindly believe the bike is in neutral" And to this day, I don't blindly believe that just because the light is on, the bike is in neutral (It basically makes I let go of the clutch slowly so that I can catch it if the bike really isn't in neutral).

Anyway, most people cover their webcams because there are hackers out there than can tap into the webcam and spy on you through it. There's dozens of examples, both for good (like IDing a criminal that stole a laptop) and for bad (for... well spying), but that's the primary reason.

didnt someone from the cia or the fbi say that you should cover them because those agencies (the cia and fbi) also tap into your webcam?

6 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i see tons of people with duct tape over their laptop webcams. even the school-issued laptops have tape over the webcam. and AFAIK, many laptops will enable a bright light to indicate the webcam is on 

It's possible to hack a webcam and view it, even without enabling the webcam light.
These people are protecting themselves and their privacy by physically blocking the view of the camera. It's a low grade solution, but it works.

While I'm not using my webcam (usb) I either unplug it or rotate it around so it faces directly against the wall.

None of us want to be the guy out of American Pie.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I don't cover mine, though it has an led indicator that *should* light up when used.

*Note: no clue whether it's firmware based or hardware based (i.e. receives power when the camera receives power.)

I probably should cover mine since it isn't overly hard these days to access them.

My laptop's BIOS had the option to disable it.

Still don't trust it.

... Still not paranoid enough to cover it.

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

didnt someone from the cia or the fbi say that you should cover them because those agencies (the cia and fbi) also tap into your webcam?

Probably. :P

I don't have a webcam! Hackers thwarted!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Still don't trust it.

... Still not paranoid enough to cover it.

I don't either :P One comfort I have is that the camera detects jack in low lighting at least.

You could go the retro check engine light fix and use electrician's tape.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I have mine covered as well. I don't use it so why should it be open for anyone just in case they gain access over my laptop.

Big brother can listen too... Might want to do something about the microphone in the laptop. Also don't forget about the hidden backup microphone on the motherboard.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I, ahem, rip out the camera and microphone from the laptop. That and the speaker. So I don't worry, at all. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Woot, I just have an amazing idea of installing spying software on ones own laptop in case it ever gets stolen.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I don't cover. Mainly because what I do ON computer would be more interesting for hackers that what I do OUTSIDE of computer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes. I cover my camera for one simple reason: I'm paranoid as hell. I've tracked packets from some of my clients that had data from the webcam when no one was using the computer.

I’ve gone so far as to disable my webcam, turn off automatic updates, uninstall the webcam driver and desolder/snip the connections from the webcam and microphone to my laptop motherboard. Some call me crazy, but I’d rather  err on the side of caution.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I don't, because my laptop isn't very interesting or important to national security. Unless they want to see me playing video games and looking up stuff for my car.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I once pressed the wrong button and activated my webcam...

That made me put a sticker on it. xD

However, I have no chat/web apps that use it, so risk is extremely low...

Woot, I just have an amazing idea of installing spying software on ones own laptop in case it ever gets stolen.

This has been done. Check out Youtube and Defcon etc... It would take a while for me to find the video though... chap "0wn3d" the thiefs entire online life after, and managed to get all his data back too via VPN and FTP remote uploading... lol!

On 30/03/2018 at 12:11 AM, Technicolors said:

I do. I have a Microsoft LifeCam Studio that comes with a rubber plug that you can conveniently plug in; this way it is also way harder for dust do get onto the camera's lens...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace