What's the best distro of linux?

I want to learn how to use the linux command line and I just can't decide which distro should I use. One of my friends reccomended linux kali to me. Are there any other good distros of linux for that? And no I'm not lookkng for a replacment for windows :)

2 minutes ago, Jaok said:

I want to learn how to use the linux command line and I just can't decide which distro should I use. One of my friends reccomended linux kali to me. Are there any other good distros of linux for that? And no I'm not lookkng for a replacment for windows :)

They all use some form of command line.  The easiest, in my opinion, to get started with are Ubuntu or Mint.  

Go for Ubuntu

Rig:

CPU: i7-8700K  Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB  GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Case: NZXT S340 Mid Tower SSD: Plextor M8Pe 512GB PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 HDD: WD 6 TB Case: NZXT S340 Mid Tower PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 750W Display: BenQ EX3501R Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse: Razer Ouroboros Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote or tag me( @The Tan Stallion) 

artificiosam hyperboreis

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

And most importantly :

Si non suus dexteram sinistram Aliquam.

If something's not going right, please try left. 

I'm a fan of Lubuntu and Mint, and really any Ubuntu distro. Slackware is fun, too.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If you want something that's easy to set up, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Linux Mint are good options. You can also get server versions of Ubuntu which doesn't come with a GUI by default, sort of forcing you to use the command line.

Also recommend using a VM application like VirtualBox.

Ubuntu is good. Most Linux package I find online seems to be made with Ubuntu in mind.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Do not use UBUNTU! If you are new use linux mint. If you want pentesting use blackarch linux, if you are advanced user then arch linux is the best distro for you. If you want freedome use parabolla (same as arch but 100% free and open source)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I am also using Ubuntu and it is fine. In addition you could get a RaspberryPi and do some projects with it while just having it run via terminal.

39 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Do not use UBUNTU

Any reason?

Go with Ubuntu, Linux Mint or most Ubuntu-based distros out there.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

18 hours ago, Jaok said:

Kali Linux still has a graphical environment.

Although most pentesting tools included do use the terminal, I don't think this is a good way to learn about the linux terminal as you'll mostly just be learning about how to use the included pentesting tools rather than the general usage of the linux terminal.

If you really want to get your hands dirty and force yourself to learn about the usage of the linux command line, I'd recommend a distro like ArchLinux as it pretty much forces you to use the command line from the get-go just to install the operating system.

Most of all however I'd recommend it due to it's incredibly expansive wiki, which not only covers program-specific usage but also general information about how linux works like how access management (users and groups, file permissions) work, for example.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD