What VPN to use?

ThrowAwayAccountHey

Is tunnelbear actually a good VPN, and does it do what they say? Or is there a better alternative?

I think ExpressVPN is one of the best if not the best but it’s expensive at $100 a year. At the moment I use PrivateVPN and I’m satisfied with it. It’s only $50 a year and I use it to watch Netflix from other countries like UK, US and Canada. It’s a very good bargain imo. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I used to use Express VPN. It's not based in the States, they don't keep logs, it has a lot of connection options and gets updated quite frequently.

I have used FrootVPN in the past. 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

speaking of VPN, Tunnelbear :D:D:D:D (i use it too)

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D,  RAM: 64 GB Gskill Trident Z DDR5 @6200 Cl32, GPU: Asus RTX 4090 Strix OC, Pump: 2 Aquacomputer D5 Next @ 60% (~160 l/h), Radiators: 2 Mo-Ra3 360 and 1 XSPC  RX360V3 with 21 fans @650 RPM.

ExpressVpn, you get what you pay for. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I STRONGLY recommend Private Internet Access. You'll get all the features, you can pay with gift cards if you want true anonymity, and they've gone up against the government to protect user data. They don't keep any logs. Several say they don't, but when the government makes a request they turn all the data over. It's also only $40 a year. 

NordVPN is also considered good, but I haven't tried it. 

ExpressVPN wins in a few areas, but overall PIA is best. The fact that they've gone up against the FBI to protect users should say a lot. https://www.best-bittorrent-vpn.com/pia-vs-expressvpn.html

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If you're concerned about privacy, this site gives a breakdown of different vpns: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simple-vpn-comparison-chart/ (check "show all entries" for the full list)

Looks like the excel sheet provides more detail as well, maybe check it out. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

1 hour ago, DarkEnergy said:

If you're concerned about privacy, this site gives a breakdown of different vpns: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simple-vpn-comparison-chart/ (check "show all entries" for the full list)

Looks like the excel sheet provides more detail as well, maybe check it out. 

It’s no longer up to date. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I STRONGLY recommend Private Internet Access. You'll get all the features, you can pay with gift cards if you want true anonymity, and they've gone up against the government to protect user data. They don't keep any logs. Several say they don't, but when the government makes a request they turn all the data over. It's also only $40 a year. 

NordVPN is also considered good, but I haven't tried it. 

ExpressVPN wins in a few areas, but overall PIA is best. The fact that they've gone up against the FBI to protect users should say a lot. https://www.best-bittorrent-vpn.com/pia-vs-expressvpn.html

Is there a way to try Private Internet Access without paying upfront?

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

3 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

Is there a way to try Private Internet Access without paying upfront?

No, but if you don't like it you can get a refund within 7 days. It's not like it's expensive either.  

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, but if you don't like it you can get a refund within 7 days. It's not like it's expensive either.  

Hmm thought so. 

I'm deciding whether to go for NordVPN or PIA. Guess I'll try PIA for a couple of days.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Zandvliet said:

Hmm thought so. 

I'm deciding whether to go for NordVPN or PIA. Guess I'll try PIA for a couple of days.

Cheers.

I don't do anything that would get me in legal trouble with the police, but I really like knowing for sure that they aren't keeping logs, and that they'd go to court to protect me. 

If the cost is too much, you can always split it with a couple people. You can use it on up to five devices at a time. That would be $13.33/$20 (depending if you go with three or two people) a year. I split it with my mother, and $20 is very manageable for protection. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:30 AM, ThrowAwayAccountHey said:

Is tunnelbear actually a good VPN, and does it do what they say? Or is there a better alternative?

8 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

Hmm thought so. 

Cheers.

LTT just decided to partner with PIA over Tunnel Bear.

A post made by a throwaway account asking for VPN suggestions the day before LTT partners with PIA...

Well, this isn't suspicious in the least

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

17 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

17 hours ago, TakataruMC said:

A post made by a throwaway account asking for VPN suggestions the day before LTT partners with PIA...

Well, this isn't suspicious in the least

Haha I just saw the video. It's a nice coincidence ;)

I just acquired PIA and we'll see how I like it.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:30 AM, ThrowAwayAccountHey said:

TunnelBear is pretty good. You start with 500MB of usable data, but a simple cookie clear and new GMail address will fix that until your data resets ad the end of the month.

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

20 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Too bad PIA doesn't work with Netflix.

3 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

Too bad PIA doesn't work with Netflix.

It does occasionally. I think they have some servers that Netflix hasn't picked up on. I don't ever use it for out of country access, I just don't like my ISP spying on me. If you're outside of the US, try Texas or the Midwest. A lot of the time I don't get promoted to disable my VPN when using those.