Unable to allocate more space to C: Drive

theereal
Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Did you try to format it first?  If not, it will need to be formatted the same as the other partition so from what I could see, you might need to format it using the NTFS format type.

I currently have 450GB of space on my C: Drive. I have another 450GB thats free that i would like to allocate there. However when i right click the C: Drive to "Expand Volume" the option is greyed out, any ideas?

5abd01750eb53_Skjermbilde(1).thumb.png.f21a8fff28db3497d8afff276452b9d2.png

Did you try to format it first?  If not, it will need to be formatted the same as the other partition so from what I could see, you might need to format it using the NTFS format type.

Probably because of that 800MB partition between the C partition and the unallocated space.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

IIRC the ability to extend the volume, has to have the space next to it as unallocated, the used partition next to the C drive is preventing it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Format what? The C: Drive?

6 minutes ago, tikker said:

Probably because of that 800MB partition between the C partition and the unallocated space.

How do i remove it then?

1 minute ago, theereal said:

How do i remove it then?

I cannot fully understand the language, but if it's an OS partition then removing it may not be the best idea. Maybe a 3rd party partition manager can expand it or shift things around, but I'm not sure if the latter will break anything.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

I cannot fully understand the language, but if it's an OS partition then removing it may not be the best idea. Maybe a 3rd party partition manager can expand it or shift things around, but I'm not sure if the latter will break anything.

Those 800 or so MB Is a "restore partition" same as the 450MB in the beginning.

7 minutes ago, theereal said:

Format what? The C: Drive?

No, not the c: drive.  The part you want to merge.  You can not merge two different types of formatted space.  Examples are NTFS, GPT and several others.  You can not merge an NTFS partition with a GPT partition.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

To ensure that I don't screw things up when doing these types of things such as merging, creating, partitioning, etc., I use the AOMEI Partition Assistant.  It's free and easy to use.  Here's a link:

https://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

Thanks i will check that out :)

Can i format space that is not allocated to anything yet though? Those 450GB arent allocated to anything.

7 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

To ensure that I don't screw things up when doing these types of things such as merging, creating, partitioning, etc., I use the AOMEI Partition Assistant.  It's free and easy to use.  Here's a link:

https://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

Using the software you recommended i am able to "merge" the unallocated partition with the C: Drive, should i do that?

3 minutes ago, theereal said:

Thanks i will check that out :)

Can i format space that is not allocated to anything yet though? Those 450GB arent allocated to anything.

Sort of....  To format the space on a drive it must only be partitioned.  But during the partition process it will be allocated.  When you partition the drive, it will assign a drive letter to it.  As an example, when you partition the space you are talking about, it will partition it to "Drive D", then, after it is then partitioned and the drive letter assigned, you will be able to format the drive using the appropriate type of format.  In this case, NTFS.  Then, once the drive is then formatted, you can "merge" drive D: with Drive C: thereby enlarging the overall space assigned to Drive C:.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Sort of....  To format the space on a drive it must only be partitioned.  But during the partition process it will be allocated.  When you partition the drive, it will assign a drive letter to it.  As an example, when you partition the space you are talking about, it will partition it to "Drive D", then, after it is then partitioned and the drive letter assigned, you will be able to format the drive using the appropriate type of format.  In this case, NTFS.  Then, once the drive is then formatted, you can "merge" drive D: with Drive C: thereby enlarging the overall space assigned to Drive C:.

You just have to remember that each operation is a different step in the process.  In the top left corner of the Partition Manager software is an "Apply" function.  So what you would do is click on the space you want to work with and select the function to partition.  Then click "apply".  Then go back to that same space and do the function to format and then click apply again.  You can do the steps one at a time or with some of them you can select a couple of functions and then click "apply" and it will perform all the functions one at a time until they are all complete.

Once it is all complete, then you have to reboot the system for the changes to take effect/affect.

It isn't hard to do, just screwy to get the processes in the correct order not forgetting about the apply function.  After you have done it a couple of times and you get familiar with it, you will better understand the process and how it works and in which order each function takes place.

11 minutes ago, theereal said:

Using the software you recommended i am able to "merge" the unallocated partition with the C: Drive, should i do that?

yes but you may have to format the unused space before you merge.  Not quite sure right off the top, it's been a few months since the last time I did it.  Don't forget to hit the apply thing up in the top left corner of the screen.

Just now, kb5zue said:

yes but you may have to format the unused space before you merge.  Not quite sure right off the top, it's been a few months since the last time I did it.  Don't forget to hit the apply thing up in the top left corner of the screen.

Ok, thanks for all the help :) Might ask again if i hit any more bumps in the road :)

Just now, kb5zue said:

The software won't let you mess up.  If you try to do something out of order, it will let you know.  That is one thing that I like about that software.

Just now, theereal said:

Ok, thanks for all the help :) Might ask again if i hit any more bumps in the road :)

No problem.  I am in California and will be home for about 15 more minutes.  After that I need to run an errand to go pick up a machine from a guy here in town that is looking for some repairs.  I repair computers in my town to keep me busy and to maintain some knowledge about what I'm doing and I don't charge for my labor.  Only parts.  I'm not rich by any means but the bills get paid using my retirement funds and I like to help people that can't afford to pay for computer services.  Current rate here where I am is $65 to $80 an hour and the majority of people here can't afford that.

One last thought though.  As with any major operation like you are undertaking, don't forget to back up copies of all your important files and data such as documents, pictures, letters, etc.  Always try to be prepared for the worst, no matter what you're doing.

27 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

No problem.  I am in California and will be home for about 15 more minutes.  After that I need to run an errand to go pick up a machine from a guy here in town that is looking for some repairs.  I repair computers in my town to keep me busy and to maintain some knowledge about what I'm doing and I don't charge for my labor.  Only parts.  I'm not rich by any means but the bills get paid using my retirement funds and I like to help people that can't afford to pay for computer services.  Current rate here where I am is $65 to $80 an hour and the majority of people here can't afford that.

Wow, thats extremely generous, has to be alot of work to do considering you dont charge anything :)

Also i used the software you told me about and i was able to just click merge and the software did the rest in a matter of minutes :) Thanks alot for all the help <3

14 minutes ago, theereal said:

Wow, thats extremely generous, has to be alot of work to do considering you dont charge anything :)

Also i used the software you told me about and i was able to just click merge and the software did the rest in a matter of minutes :) Thanks alot for all the help <3

Just got back from my errand picking up that machine.  Turns out it is a boat anchor running Windows Vista.  Going to do my best to try and resurrect the dead but I'm not holding my breath with it.  I'm glad that everything is working out with your machine.  I don't use that software often but it does work and I like it so I keep a copy of it on my machine.  It also doesn't hurt that it's FREE.  I don't know where Planet X is located but if there is anything else that I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.  Just don't ask for money.  LOL.

To extend a partition in Windows Disk Management, the unallocated space needs to be at the right adjacent side of this partition. You need to change location between the unallocated space and the 864MB partition with third party partition software, like minitool. and then directly extend partition C in Windows Disk Management。 I think this is the fastest and safest method.