Are VelociRaptors still good in 2018?

They are cheaper per gb than equally sized or larger ssds and since they're mechanical, they do have longer lifespans than ssds, however much that may actually be, but are they worth it over standard 7200rpm drives like Seagate Barracuda (My own personal preference, or hybrid drives like Firecudas and Momentus XT. What about accelerating them with Optane? Would that make them perform on par with cheaper nand flash ssds for data storage and gaming? Does Optane also work with raid arrays?

no on basically all fronts. a ssd beats a raptor in every aspect. event the most cheapass ssd will beat a 24 disk raid 0 made of raptors. i have a 13 disk radi 6 here running on 7200rpm drives (the good stuff, not eco) and it is visibly slower then my boot ssd for virturally all tasks, it can only win in sequencial reads and writes and that is down to having 4GB of onboard ram on the raid controller (wich was like REALLY expensive enterprise level when new)

ps: optane only works on the boot drive. it is completly useless for consumers or even prosumers. anyone that needs to speed up their boot drive or whatever just needs to buy a ssd, does not matter wich one as long as you get one. if you have a fairly new board i would splurge for nvme if possible as the speed is order of maginitudes higher and you keep everything on the mainboard. no separate cables or power needed.

1) they are much slower than SSDs

2) they are mechanical and have LESS lifespan than SSDS

3) they are loud and a waste of money compared to regular HDDs

4) hybrid drives are bad and should only be used in laptops with only one drive bay where you need lots of storage and can't afford an SSD

5) do not use optane unless you're going to buy the full 900p SSD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The loud factor is the only possible pro, but then you have to like the HDD sound to begin with.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

If you need higher response times, VelociRaptors are still king for HDDs. If you need raw bandwidth though, higher capacity drives have either matched it or beaten it. I've seen my 7200RPM 4TB drive doing a file transfer match the bandwidth of a 1TB VelociRaptor in bench tests.

53 minutes ago, Troika said:

they do have longer lifespans than ssds

Huh? No ssd last longer.

54 minutes ago, Troika said:

Would that make them perform on par with cheaper nand flash ssds for data storage and gaming?

Sequentical speeds are fine, random speeds will still be 10x worse than any modern ssd.

54 minutes ago, Troika said:

, but are they worth it over standard 7200rpm drives like Seagate Barracuda

Really no, as there old and newer drive as newer drives are faster, If you want a fast drive look into the hgst 15k drives, there the only ones still making performance hdds.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Huh? No ssd last longer.

Sequentical speeds are fine, random speeds will still be 10x worse than any modern ssd.

Really no, as there old and newer drive as newer drives are faster, If you want a fast drive look into the hgst 15k drives, there the only ones still making performance hdds.

Interesting, I thought nand flash had a limited read/write span lower than mechanical drives still but I suppose the technology has caught up by now.

I wasn't aware that there was 15k drives were available that weren't sas drives.

1 hour ago, Troika said:

Interesting, I thought nand flash had a limited read/write span lower than mechanical drives still but I suppose the technology has caught up by now.

I wasn't aware that there was 15k drives were available that weren't sas drives.

What are you doing? for almost all consumer use your won't get near the endurance limits of the drive.

You can get sas controllers for about 30 bucks for something like a h200, but really don't get a high performance hdd, a ssd is better in all ways these days.

12 hours ago, Troika said:

SSD's do have a limited lifespan. If you write 5 GB, every day, to a 1TB SSD it will live for 343 years.
But harddrives degrade. The sectors will perform worse after a while. SSD's are a way better and faster way to store data. The only downsides of SSD's are the price and that a broken SSD it toast, while the data of a broken harddisk can be saved.

5 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

SSD's do have a limited lifespan. If you write 5 GB, every day, to a 1TB SSD it will live for 343 years.
But harddrives degrade. The sectors will perform worse after a while. SSD's are a way better and faster way to store data. The only downsides of SSD's are the price and that a broken SSD it toast, while the data of a broken harddisk can be saved.

You seriously need to rethink your backup scheme if this is a serious consideration.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

You seriously need to rethink your backup scheme if this is a serious consideration.

Haha, of course ;-)
You should never base your choice on that, but it is a difference between SSD's and HDD's that one can't deny. Unfortunately I have seen too many people sending their drives to recovery companies to get their data back for ~€1000...
I guess humans are terrible at making backup scheme's...

Thanks for the info everyone. Sucks to know that the Velocirapors aren't very good anymore since I always wanted one. I'll keep using my barracudas for now and maybe move onto some solid ssds down the road for general mass storage when the prices are more reasonable per gb.