Under 200$ Wired Headphones

Tarun10
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
On 2018-03-25 at 11:41 AM, FloRolf said:

The good stuff!

10 hours ago, Sabron said:

Never used them but Phillips SHP 9500s are some of the most recommended open back headphones under $100.

I’ve gathered they might be a good option. I prefer the Sennheiser fitting (big oval felts over my elephant-ears). The head clamp has never bothered me & it can be quickly fixed with GENTLE bending.

13 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I looked at the recommendation from a few channels and Reddit posts and I have shortlisted these.

Status CB-1

Sennheiser HD 598 SE

ATH M40X

AKG K553

ATH AD700X/500X

Philips SHP 9500s

Which of these is the best value for money?

Also what is the difference between the 598 and 599???

Any reviews from owners of these headphones??

I’m a big big fan of the Sennheiser brand. The HD5## series cans I have are tough! The only issue I have with them is the excessively long cable (~2 metres?!). Unfortunately, I can’t discern the difference between the late model 599 (open versus closed cups?).  What I do know is that the HD6$$ series were a significant jump in quality (based on me muddling around different forums & try-ons at expensive shops).  I have a HD650 on order that I’m looking forward to (they’ll be powered by an external headphone amp for best results).  The HD600-series are experiencing a price spike here in Ontario, so I’m ordering a clone sold by Massdrop in California (the HD6xx). Unfortunately, they’re only shipping them to North American addresses.

M40X ... ... ... ... ... Well... ... ... THAT model is very polarizing on this forum. I’m going to remain a polite Canadian, and say nothing more.

Your challenge will be to get product to you in SE Asia. I’m guessing you’ll get zapped with all kinds of import fees and “special shipping charges”. That’s BS.

My vote: a pair of Sennheiser cans. If you chose the HD600-series, you might get more satisfaction with a headphone amplifier (double check this, eh). I’m assuming their distribution is more reasonable to your neck of the woods.

BTW - according to a friend of a friend, CBC-Radio-99.1FM use AKG K271 in their studio. Helpful?

Cheers from Toronto (hey, it’s above freezing here! In the sun. At noon. As long as the wind’s not blowing).

Which are the best open/closed headphones under 200$??? I will use them on my smartphone, laptop and keyboard. Also how much impedance can a decent laptop power?? 150 Ohms??

I don't need noise cancelling but I would like a good seal and comfort. I don't mind adding replacement pads.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I would add my headphones to the list posted above, Bang and Olufsen H6. I have the 1st and think they just sound amazing, 2nd gen have been just as, if not more, positively reviewed. 

I looked at the recommendation from a few channels and Reddit posts and I have shortlisted these.

Status CB-1

Sennheiser HD 598 SE

ATH M40X

AKG K553

ATH AD700X/500X

Philips SHP 9500s

Never used them but Phillips SHP 9500s are some of the most recommended open back headphones under $100.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

8 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Status CB-1

Sennheiser HD 598 SE

ATH M40X

AKG K553

ATH AD700X/500X

Philips SHP 9500s

Kicked out the AD500X and the AKG K553 because they don't have a removable cable. Anybody know any other AKG options???

On 2018-03-25 at 11:41 AM, FloRolf said:

The good stuff!

10 hours ago, Sabron said:

I’ve gathered they might be a good option. I prefer the Sennheiser fitting (big oval felts over my elephant-ears). The head clamp has never bothered me & it can be quickly fixed with GENTLE bending.

13 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Status CB-1

Sennheiser HD 598 SE

ATH M40X

AKG K553

ATH AD700X/500X

Philips SHP 9500s

I’m a big big fan of the Sennheiser brand. The HD5## series cans I have are tough! The only issue I have with them is the excessively long cable (~2 metres?!). Unfortunately, I can’t discern the difference between the late model 599 (open versus closed cups?).  What I do know is that the HD6$$ series were a significant jump in quality (based on me muddling around different forums & try-ons at expensive shops).  I have a HD650 on order that I’m looking forward to (they’ll be powered by an external headphone amp for best results).  The HD600-series are experiencing a price spike here in Ontario, so I’m ordering a clone sold by Massdrop in California (the HD6xx). Unfortunately, they’re only shipping them to North American addresses.

M40X ... ... ... ... ... Well... ... ... THAT model is very polarizing on this forum. I’m going to remain a polite Canadian, and say nothing more.

Your challenge will be to get product to you in SE Asia. I’m guessing you’ll get zapped with all kinds of import fees and “special shipping charges”. That’s BS.

My vote: a pair of Sennheiser cans. If you chose the HD600-series, you might get more satisfaction with a headphone amplifier (double check this, eh). I’m assuming their distribution is more reasonable to your neck of the woods.

BTW - according to a friend of a friend, CBC-Radio-99.1FM use AKG K271 in their studio. Helpful?

Cheers from Toronto (hey, it’s above freezing here! In the sun. At noon. As long as the wind’s not blowing).

I got a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's for about $150, great sound, awesome noise cancellation, and they have a removable cord with two different cords. I've heard people put em' down, but I absolutely love them YMMV.

13 hours ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

The good stuff!

A friend is coming to India in June so I can get them to bring me the headphones. Sennheiser HD 6XX are good but I can't power them. HD 598's are an option.

It is boiling hot over here now. Even in the early morning.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, Ripper7620 said:

I got a set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's for about $150, great sound, awesome noise cancellation, and they have a removable cord with two different cords. I've heard people put em' down, but I absolutely love them YMMV.

I agree they are really good but I would rather go for the HD 598 as I love Sennheiser. Their 20$ HD 202 sound so good they crushed the speakers from my 400$ Home theater Sony and my Yamaha 400$ Electric keyboard...

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, cragger89 said:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro.

Will look into it thx.

On 01/04/2018 at 5:20 PM, Tarun10 said:

Will look into it thx.

They've replaced newer models which are more than double the price, I don't know if there are plans to discontinue them, but definitely snap up a set off of Amazon Prime or something, that way if you dislike them, you can return them.

I think they are an utter bargain.

Hey, i wanted to add up that if you are from SEA region. You will have a tough time importing a sennheiser product to you. There's some distributor that gave that distributor full control to every single sennheiser product into SEA region. Use a forwarding company if you want to get a pair of sennheiser

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, cragger89 said:

They've replaced newer models which are more than double the price, I don't know if there are plans to discontinue them, but definitely snap up a set off of Amazon Prime or something, that way if you dislike them, you can return them.

I think they are an utter bargain.

They are pretty expensive here. Since they are imported and get added almost 50% taxes and sometimes they are simply not on sale.

5 minutes ago, agentagent47 said:

Hey, i wanted to add up that if you are from SEA region. You will have a tough time importing a sennheiser product to you. There's some distributor that gave that distributor full control to every single sennheiser product into SEA region. Use a forwarding company if you want to get a pair of sennheiser

Thx a lot for the info. Sennheiser products which are imported cost a significant amount but local online dealers are pretty reasonable compared to the price increases on other brands. The SHP9500S are almost 160$ here, almost double. Even then I can get a friend to bring them to me in June when he visits his family here in India so no problem.