Wi-fi router with optical SFP port

Granular
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

If you are really gung ho about a wifi router with an SFP, look at the Mikrotik hAP AC (not the newer hAP AC2) https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

I have this as APs in my house but it is capable of being programmed as an all-in-one device. Even if you end up not needing the SFP, it will still work as a router or AP.

Hi!

I'd like to get fiber home internet and keep the networking gear I keep at home to a minimum.

My ISP offers to install their Alcatel Lucent brand wi-fi router free of charge, but I don't want someone else's gear at my home, so  I went looking for where I could get my own wi-fi router with optical SFP in and was unpleasantly suprised to find out every search for something like that only turned up lists of 'best wifi routers for fibre internet' none of which had fibre optical inputs. Routers like that seem to only be manufactured for ISPs.

So I came here to ask if anyone knows of a commerically available wifi router with optical SFP port, ideally with LEDE/OpenWRT support.

Why do you need a wifi router with SFP? Your ISP will bring in fiber to their modem, then it will be ethernet out to your CPE device. You would gain nothing but extra cost to do this. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Why do you need a wifi router with SFP? Your ISP will bring in fiber to their modem, then it will be ethernet out to your CPE device. You would gain nothing but extra cost to do this. 

They're terrible about answering technical questions, but as I understand it, the standard procedure is plugging fibre into their wifi routers that do have that port, which they offer to do free of charge.

If I asked for a plain modem, I imagine I'd be charged extra before trying to steer me towards the standard solution a dozen times.

25 minutes ago, Granular said:

They're terrible about answering technical questions, but as I understand it, the standard procedure is plugging fibre into their wifi routers that do have that port, which they offer to do free of charge.

If I asked for a plain modem, I imagine I'd be charged extra before trying to steer me towards the standard solution a dozen times.

The idea is that they're better optimized for your internet connection being provided by your ISP. The modems that are not would probably give you much more issues as your ISP probably won't be able to support them or assist you with any more questions you have if the modem stops working.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

The idea is that they're better optimized for your internet connection being provided by your ISP. The modems that are not would probably give you much more issues as your ISP probably won't be able to support them or assist you with any more questions you have if the modem stops working.

I  understand why they do it.

I just want to be in charge of my own network without keeping 2 routers at home.

Who is your ISP?

Could search for compatible routers with their service that way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP?

Could search for compatible routers with their service that way.

Searches about that turns up the ISP's store page where they sell wifi routers, none of which have optical ports.

1 hour ago, Granular said:

Searches about that turns up the ISP's store page where they sell wifi routers, none of which have optical ports.

Who is your ISP exactly and what kind of fiber are they running?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP exactly and what kind of fiber are they running?

The ISP is Lattelecom. Don't know about the type of fiber.

1 minute ago, Granular said:

The ISP is Lattelecom. Don't know about the type of fiber.

Ah, so they run fiber to the house and install an ONT box which converts the fiber to copper and then run that to the router.

So you should be fine any router, no need for anything with an SFP.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Ah, so they run fiber to the house and install an ONT box which converts the fiber to copper and then run that to the router.

So you should be fine any router, no need for anything with an SFP.

No, they install their wifi routers that have optical in. I've seen them. It's just that the models aren't available in stores, I guess they order them from the manufacturer.

1 minute ago, Granular said:

No, they install their wifi routers that have optical in. I've seen them. It's just that the models aren't available in stores, I guess they order them from the manufacturer.

I'm just wondering what kind of fiber they run because that could determine what kind of SFP you need and those can be very expensive. If you're sure it's an SFP fiber they run then you could look at something like Ubiquiti, MikroTik, or even building a pfSense machine and buying a separate AP.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you are really gung ho about a wifi router with an SFP, look at the Mikrotik hAP AC (not the newer hAP AC2) https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

I have this as APs in my house but it is capable of being programmed as an all-in-one device. Even if you end up not needing the SFP, it will still work as a router or AP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

11 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Thanks! It's a bit pricey, but exactly what I was looking for, complete with LEDE support.

11 minutes ago, Granular said:

Thanks! It's a bit pricey, but exactly what I was looking for, complete with LEDE support.

Personally I’d stick with RouterOS - definitely use the WinBox program instead of the normal HTTP server config (which they call WebFig) for your initial setup and major troubleshooting. LEDE is good, and Mikrotik hardware is good, but Mikrotik is really a software company. Their main product is RouterOS and they just build good hardware for it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

26 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Personally I’d stick with RouterOS - definitely use the WinBox program instead of the normal HTTP server config (which they call WebFig) for your initial setup and major troubleshooting. LEDE is good, and Mikrotik hardware is good, but Mikrotik is really a software company. Their main product is RouterOS and they just build good hardware for it.

I just like to use open source wherever practical. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Where I live, there is a fibre provider that does not use any cpe, just bring an sfp connection into the premesis. they sell sfp routers but you can provide your own (theirs are some cheap chinese brand. Choices are primarily Mikrotik and Ubiquiti if going with your own. We use primarily Ubiquiti and Mikrotik Gear