Air can mishap?

hardtofindinthefuture

I recently received a GTS450, and bought a can of air from the dolla store, anyway i was outside and i noticed that the can looked like it was shooting some liquid or something, but i was also chilly outside and sometimes when you breathe the "smoke" comes out your mouth... Could i have potentially fucked up my card?

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

You were probably holding the can sideways or upside down, which will cause that.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

Try explaining again what you did because I sincerely DO NOT UNDERSTAND A THING.

You received a GTS450 then you bought a can of air then the can was leaking whatever you saw there and what's the connection between the can and the GPU since you are asking if the GPU is possibly damaged?

You tried to blow that air into the graphics card so you'll clean it or what?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

3 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

You tried to blow that air into the graphics card so you'll clean it or what?

Yes i tried to clean the graphics card board with the can of air when it looked like it was shooting some sort of chemical out.

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

4 minutes ago, Purgent said:

You were probably holding the can sideways or upside down, which will cause that.

So could my card be damaged? 

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Just now, v0nn_toaster said:

Yes i tried to clean the graphics card board with the can of air when it looked like it was shooting some sort of chemical out.

The only way of finding out if your card is damaged is to dry the GPU if anything liquid dropped on it and then install it into your PC.

If the monitor displays images when the PC is turned on then the GPU is just fine.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Just now, v0nn_toaster said:

So could my card be damaged? 

It'll be fine, the liquid will dry off immediately as its just compressed gasses. Plus im sure you did this when it wasn't turned on :D

1 minute ago, Ross Scarlet said:

Plus im sure you did this when it wasn't turned on :D

i was cleaning it while running benchmarks and 100% load and while it was overclocked...

Spoiler

jk lol

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

The air that shot out was the liquid the gas/"air" comes from. You should be fine unless you shot the liquid at a component for long enough that you froze the piece. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

33 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Your card is likely fine. Wait until the component is dry. That liquid is very, very cold and probably cause condensation. The liquid itself flashes off very quickly (it's job is to turn into air inside the can. essentially, it evaporates at room temperature). 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

You're basically doomed, thanks youre worse than the crypto miners at least they use the cards... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

17 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

You're basically doomed, thanks youre worse than the crypto miners at least they use the cards... 

What the fuck are you trying to say?

OP, that liquid is most likely liquid nitrogen. As the pressure is released inside the can, it evaporates to create pressurized gas, so you're all good.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

20 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

OP, that liquid is most likely liquid nitrogen. As the pressure is released inside the can, it evaporates to create pressurized gas, so you're all good.

Gas dusters do not contain liquid nitrogen.  Nitrogen needs to be about -200'C to even become a liquid.  The gasses inside the containers are various fluorocarbons like tetrafluoroethane.  It's a gas that when compressed at room temperature, becomes a liquid.  The gasses are under pressure in the cans and this keeps most of it as a liquid.  When the nozzle is opened what gas is in there quickly escapes (That's the 'air' leaving the can of air) and this causes a drop in pressure and some of the liquid tetrafluoroethane boils RAPIDLY, that rapid boiling causes the freezing temperatures, the boiling also involves more liquid turning into a gas until the pressure level stableizes and boiling stops.

It's definately NOT liquid nitrogen. 

2 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

Obviously sarcasm doesn't cross your mind. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Usually the first time you use it some liquid comes out probably due to shipping 

As long as you don't inhale it you'll be fine

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Gas dusters do not contain liquid nitrogen.  Nitrogen needs to be about -200'C to even become a liquid.  The gasses inside the containers are various fluorocarbons like tetrafluoroethane.  It's a gas that when compressed at room temperature, becomes a liquid.  The gasses are under pressure in the cans and this keeps most of it as a liquid.  When the nozzle is opened what gas is in there quickly escapes (That's the 'air' leaving the can of air) and this causes a drop in pressure and some of the liquid tetrafluoroethane boils RAPIDLY, that rapid boiling causes the freezing temperatures, the boiling also involves more liquid turning into a gas until the pressure level stableizes and boiling stops.

It's definately NOT liquid nitrogen. 

Weird because my hard was cold when i was dusting my card outside

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

5 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Yes, gas duster cans get cold after you spray them, it's a result of some of the liquid contents rapidly boiling due to the pressure change.

9 hours ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Canned air is kinda wrong name for the stuff anyway. Its not air inside the can, its liquid. A pressurized liquid which will turn to gas once it hits point over liquids boiling point. Results you will see are sprinkling/mist gas, some dripping liquid and rapid cooling of can. Smoke you might see is probably just dust cloud or vapor mist coming out of can. No canned air or anything else meant for electronics will cause harm. Those will vaporize within minutes at most. Long before you can power system.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, v0nn_toaster said:

i was cleaning it while running benchmarks and 100% load and while it was overclocked...

Reveal hidden contents

jk lol

While the canned air chemicals are usually harmless to computer hardware, you did it while the PC was running... This was a big mistake. The chemicals dry up almost instantaneously but you may have shorted out a couple solder points as electricity was flowing when it happened. NEVER, EVER attempt to clean your PC when it is running, ALWAYS turn it off, flip the PSU switch to off, and unplug the AC cord before servicing any parts or doing any cleaning of any kind (for future reference).

If you want an alternative, I found this no-brand junk $5 shop blower at AutoZone. Had it for two years now, by far the best dust solution I have ever come across:

IMG_20180327_200020.thumb.jpg.7f79ce3b0fb87490c72d6a078ca75604.jpg 

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread: